Burnt Tranny.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Burnt Tranny..

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 06-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
XjJeff
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Burnt Tranny..

My daughter smoked the automatic trans in her 98 Cherokee. I have a auto trans from a 2000 cherokee including the TCM. Will it work in her 98 if I put the TCM in it too or will it work with the 98 TCM??????

XjJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The transmissions are the same, and it should work with the 1998 TCM. The harness plugs might be slightly different so you may have to splice some wires.

Just curious, what makes you think the transmission is toast? The AW4 is a pretty bullet proof transmission. I've seen them run with water in them, barely any fluid, etc. If it is a shifting issue, it could be directly related to the TPS located on the throttle body, which is much less work to replace.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
XjJeff
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well..i believe its toast due to the fact that it aas pouring fluid down the road accompanied by enough smoke to hide a semi while driving it until it came to a complete stop with the engine still revving to 3 grand. Then she asks.....daddy what happened?? It wont go any more?...17yr old girls...go figure
XjJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

That sounds to me more like it popped a tranny line or other major leak, lost all it's fluid, fluid landed on hot parts and created James Bond smoke screen, torque converter emptied, tranny won't go.

My 1990 XJ did this on a logging road out in the middle of nowhwere...as in 25 miles from the nearest pavement, let alone any town...same exact thing. Had to send my buddy to a parts store 40 miles away. I fixed the hose, filled it back up with tranny fluid and it's been running great ever since...that was about 6 years and 40K miles ago. Like said above the AW4 is very durable, but without any fluid, it won't go..

See if you can find where the fluid leaked out, fix that, the empty transmission will take 8-9 qts. of Dex III or >. Heck of alot cheaper and easier than a new/used tranny.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.