Burning up starter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Burning up starter

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Ohenry34
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Burning up starter

I am having an electrical issue and I really need some help. '99 Cherokee with 4.0 straight 6. I have burnt up 3 starters in a matter of about a week. First voltage gauge dropped dash and headlights went dim for few seconds then everything returned to normal. Smelled electrical burning and parked, starter was completely dead when I investigated. I put new altenator on (assuming it was diode and alt was weak anyway). Fixed that problem (sorta) but when I parked the other day I turned Jeep off and starter was still spinning. Now starter is completely dead again. Do not know if starter was spinning will running because i didn't hear grinding or anything. Also ignition had lag of bout .5-1 sec between key turn and starter engage. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ohenry34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Where did you buy the starter ? Tested or replaced the starter relay ? Any troubles with the ignition cylinder ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Ohenry34
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I bought the starter from OReiley's. It is a reman (Mitsu i think). Have not tested the starter relay. How do i do so? As far as ignition, there is some lag between key turn and starter engage. I was thinking maybe ignition switch could be an area to address.
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a sloppy rebuild. Do yourself a favor and buy a good quality rebuilt starter or even a new starter. Cheap crappy "Lifetime Warranty" parts are often out of specification or even failed right out of the box. Many times they have a short service life before they fail. Buy good quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep sensors.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds as if the starter is staying engaged when the key switch is returned to the "run" position. This will destroy the starter in short order. There should be no voltage present on the small terminal on the starter solenoid when the key is returned to the "run" position.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Ohenry34
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i unfortunately didn't ask when i bought the starter just told them what i need and bought the one the guy gave me. I agree though i think that i will see if i can warranty and get credit on actual new starter

Carl,

gonna check that out tomorrow after work cause i have the same suspicion. but when burnt up last one ignition was actually switched off and starter was still spinning. I dont know how the excite wire would get voltage with key off, unless there was internal short between B+ and excite wire in the starter. what do you guys think?
Unread 09-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
no5son1962
1995 ZJ 

I had a similar problem with my ZJ 4.0. Strange intermittent electrical problems to include the starter not shutting off. After much trouble shooting to include ignition switch replacement I found the ground wire from the battery to the fender was fried. I replaced the wire with a heavy cable and haven't had a problem since.
Unread 09-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohenry34 View Post
when burnt up last one ignition was actually switched off and starter was still spinning. I dont know how the excite wire would get voltage with key off
If the contacts in the starter relay (in the fuse box under the hood) were welded closed, the condition you describe would exist.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Ohenry34
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well I replaced starter relay and got the starter warrantied. Lag between ignition and starter gone now so I think that is a good sign. On a side note O'Reilley's does even offer a brand new starter, reman is only thing available. Guess I might be going somewhere else for parts from now on...I will update soon but hopefully I got the problem solved. Appreciate the input from everyone.

Tags
electrical , ignition , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.