Burning serious oil???? help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Burning serious oil???? help

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
AuburnXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Burning serious oil???? help

i have a 93 XJ (4.0) w/ 170k+ on the dial, and my jeep is burning oil pretty good. any ideas about what the problem could be?

1993 Jeep Cherokee - Trail Rig
6.5" Rusty's LA kit-33x12.5 TSL-Pacesetter Header w/Delta 40-JKS Discos-Tom Woods Driveshaft-Advanced Adapters SYE-Custom CAI
Coming This Summer: 44/9", 4 link rear, and 37s
AuburnXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bad piston rings maybe.... When was the last oil change, who did it, and how thin was the oil. Oil that is too thin (especially on a higher milage vehicle) will be prone to burning up quick. You may just be able to use thicker oil. I would get more oppinions though... I melt metal together for work, I'm no mechanic.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
AuburnXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

its 10W 30... and it has been a while since the oil got changed

6.5" Rusty's LA kit-33x12.5 TSL-Pacesetter Header w/Delta 40-JKS Discos-Tom Woods Driveshaft-Advanced Adapters SYE-Custom CAI
Unread 02-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

like I said, I'm not a mechanic but I would try changing it, and running maybe a 20W 30. That may do the trick.
Unread 02-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
AuburnXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

ok cool. thanks man

Unread 02-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

No problem.
Unread 02-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on the thicker oil. I'm burning 5w30 like crazy bc i need to run it in the winter (lots of short trips to class in the morning). 15w40 diesel will be going back in in a month for the warmer weather. I barely burned that thicker stuff.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
CheapJeep88
2000 WJ 

Hey I have kinda the same question about oil. I just recently changed my oil in my 88 cherokee with 186k and now all the sudden my valves will tap and its really bugging me. It never did it until I changed it.. So do you guys recommend running thicker oil in and if so what is my best bet..
Thanks!
CheapJeep88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnXJ View Post
i have a 93 XJ (4.0) w/ 170k+ on the dial, and my jeep is burning oil pretty good. any ideas about what the problem could be?
It might be a good idea to find a good compression gauge and run a compression test to give you more information about the mechanical condition (rings, etc).

Keep fresh oil in it; old oil has a tendency to burn up a bit quicker in high mileage engines.

Do you have any evidence of oil in your air cleaner box? If you do, search for BLOWBY.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.