Build up Begins!! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Build up Begins!!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #61
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

alright, so i got the backing plates bolted onto the axle, now i just need help figuring out the brake pads and the calipers and caliper bolts

4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #62
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

the pads are in now, i just need help getting the calipers mounted up

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
Unread 08-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #63
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I figured the silver spacer- things propably are only used on 9" rear axles. No need to use 'em on the 8.8. But I suppose you also figured it out yourself since you got the backing plates/ dust shields botled up

Did you use the silver- coloured hex bolts, or the T- shaped black ones? Again, the T- shaped seem to be better suited for the 9" axle, and the silver or gold coloured for the 8.8

On my kit, there were two different brake calipers - the other had a smaller center hole than the other one, so you can't really go wrong with the pads. If both calipers are similar, use the pads that fit in. It needs to be a snug fit, but also should slide in by hand or just a bit of help with a pliers.

Installing brake pads is pretty straightforward, even if you never have done it before. If the pistons are not pushed all the way in, push them in so it's easier to slide in the caliper/ pad assembly over the rotors.

The long thin black bolts (four of them, two per side) are used to mount the caliper on the mounts. Tighten snugly, but not very tight. Many recommend using thread locker on them (ie. blue loctite), but I actually prefer high-temp anti-seize grease. Also, use copper- paste (brake grease) on the areas where the pads slide on/ touch the caliper bracket.

Uumh.. what else.. yeap, that should be pretty much all to it. Once you figure out everything, you do that in less than 5 minutes per side

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #64
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

im having some trouble getting the caliper over the rotor..also it seems like the parking brake is on, the rotor wont spin at all, do u know why that is??

Unread 08-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #65
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Like I wrote, push the caliper pistons ALL the way in, makes your life much easier.

You can see the parking brake adjuster on the bottom part of the backing plate assembly - pop the oval- shaped small rubber cover from the back of the backing plate and you can then use a flathead screwdriver to adjust the brake shoes all the way in. You might need to push/ wiggle them a little to actually make them move.

After that you can slide on the rotors (might still be a pretty tight fit), and then slide the calipers over the rotors and to the brackets. Calipers should slide on without any kind of force if you've got the pistons pushed all the way in.ust check the notches on the brake pads so you realise which way you have to put the caliper on (IIRC bottom-end first).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #66
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

a couple of updates on what ive done

first, i got the disc brakes, backing plates, and calipers all on

then i received the MORE Flange Adapter for the 1310 Ujoints on the CV Driveshaft

i ordered the UBEs (1" variety) and they came in today, and at first glance, they are mighty beefy (1/4" thick and welded strongly

they came with weld on shock mounts as well (high clearance)

the top plate of the UBE acts like a bumpstop which i did not know, and seems like a very well designed product

pics

top plate (bumpstop)

little brother holding it up, showing how big they are

shock mount

and how the axle looks now (ube's not welded as of now, just sitting on the tubes to show the size)

updates to come as stuff comes in

Unread 09-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #67
brifro123
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Axle's looking good man, can't wait to see it when it's all done. Nice work!
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:38 PM   #68
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

yeah man, i gotta get it back to MA when its all done

hows urs going?

Unread 09-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #69
brifro123
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Its going slow but ok, I think I need new axle pinion bearings in the front because I drained out the diff and it was a muddy mixture of water and oil and my yoke moves up and down, so that is gonna suck.
Unread 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #70
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

that sucks, i cant wait to get my HP D30 and start to work on that, once Lead_Not_Follow and i get everything welded up, it will feel more like ive done something

the truss should be coming in next week hopefully and the JKS mini skids for the LCAs come in tomorrow, so plenty of welding to get done

Unread 10-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #71
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

just some updates

JKS Miniskids

HP D30 out of a 95

TnT Customs D30 Truss with Raised UCA mounts and Trac Bar mounts

Unread 10-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #72
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Looks real good man. You have a trac bar for the front yet? I've heard if you aren't running a short enough one you will need it recut and tapped with the raised mount.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #73
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

im gonna be running a custom made trac bar by TnT when i order there kit

so im asumming that they have a way to calculate what type i need

Jason told me that i need a straight trac bar and that they will make it the correct way when i order it

when i bought the truss they asked me what steering i was going to be running as well, i told them the TnT OTK steering so they changed the bracket for that as well

Unread 10-01-2007, 03:37 PM   #74
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds good.

I bought the same JKS skids, just didn't have time to get them welded up. I REALLY wish I did as the brackets to a few hits this past weekend.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #75
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, i know what u mean, i didnt realize how vulnerable those LCA mounts are until i took a look at the HP D30 that i have in the garage, for 25 bucks, they are definetly worth it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.