Build up Begins!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Build up Begins!!

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #46
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Your axle looks rough, and will take a lot more work than mine did. I went over mine today with a wire wheel on my angle grinder and knocked off the little bit of rust, and a sticker that was on it, after I grinded down the welds where the brackets were. I then coated it in degreaser, then washed and dried it. After that, I primed and painted with rustoleum.

Just be careful with the wire wheel. When I was in the shower, I found two of the wires buried into my legs.

Unread 07-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #47
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyohn
how should i go about painting this thing??

does washing it off, grinding the bracket spots clean and covering up the ends of the axle (where the shafts attach to the housing), prime it and then spray it with a semi-gloss black work??

what did u guys do??
Youll want to get all your welding done before you do any painting.. but other then that youre on the right track.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 10:21 PM   #48
black2door
Web Wheeler

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_

Just be careful with the wire wheel. When I was in the shower, I found two of the wires buried into my legs.
Yeah, be careful. I got one right in the cheek, glad I was wearing full goggles. Hurt like hell.

1994 Black XJ 2 door - 4.0 - Auto - Making a wheelin rig
Beefy steering - 33" Bighorns - 3" bastard lift - Welded rear

black2door is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #49
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I haven't gotten a wire wheel wire in my leg, but I did get a nice mixture of brake cleaner and gear oil to my eye when I was cleaning the pumpkin from the inside

Quote:
thanks for all ur help so far Timo 90

today i got the shock bracket off the pumpkin, grinded off all brackets, removed axle shafts, removed disc brake backing plates and caliper mountsare the axle shaft splines okay (not sure how they are supposed to be since ive never looked at one before)

~Brendan
No problem, glad I could be of help

..ouch, didn't realise the backing plates were in that bad condition. You def. need new ones. Get the kit unless you can find JY brakes in good condition or an unbelievably good deal on separate parts Remember the kit doesn't come with soft lines, but so far what I've been browsing none of them have. Currie charges almost 500$ for a similar package, and you still need to add soft lines + handbrake cables..

Shafts and splines look good to me. You actually would need to give some real effort to permanently twist a F8.8 shaft on a stock explorer (or XJ). They are stronger than D44 shafts.

Painting part was pretty much covered already on previous posts. I prefer using grinding disc to remove that kind of amount of rust instead of wire wheel, but use whichever you feel is better. Both work well.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #50
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I would only put primer on where the axle tubes meet the diff. That spot will need to be welded to keep the tubes from spinning.

As for the rest of it, just cover the pinion, axle tubes at the ends, and the diff (put the cover back on) openings and paint it. You can primer and paint, or get a paint that can be applied directly to bare metal.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 05:00 AM   #51
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

alright, thanks

im gonna grind the welds down clean, hit it with a wire wheel and wash it with some degreaser, then i will probably prime the whole thing and paint it

i wont be able to weld the brackets for a while because i dont know how to weld (im gonna take a class in school this year, so unless i find someone to weld for me im gonna have to wait + i'd actually rather do it myself)

thanks for the help
Brendan
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #52
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_
Your axle looks rough, and will take a lot more work than mine did. I went over mine today with a wire wheel on my angle grinder and knocked off the little bit of rust, and a sticker that was on it, after I grinded down the welds where the brackets were. I then coated it in degreaser, then washed and dried it. After that, I primed and painted with rustoleum.

if u dont mind me asking, how much did u pay for urs?? what are ur plans for it??

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
Unread 07-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #53
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
if u dont mind me asking, how much did u pay for urs?? what are ur plans for it??
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437265

You see why I said your's looks rough? The tag I found tangled up in the brakes had the VIN of the Explorer it came out of...2001. The only thing not worth salvaging were the rotors. Caliper pistons had some surface rust on the inside, but nothing horrible. All the boots are in great shape. The backing plates each had a small bend on the lips, but probably from the axle resting on them at a salvage yard. I easily knocked them back into shape. Brackets, brake lines, and replace the axle seals while it's apart, then I'm good to go.

I'm putting it under my TJ. My front is already geared to 3.73 and locked with an Aussie, so I'm going to throw an Aussie into the rear of this one and call it a day. I love how easy this thing comes apart. I went ahead and yanked the spiders to get ready for the locker. It will be so much easier to install than my D30, and even that wasn't difficult.
Unread 07-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #54
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

that is in good shape and at a very good price

i too was surprised at how easily it came apart, as soon as Timo explained the c-clips it came right out

good luck with the rest of ur buildup

Brendan

Unread 07-22-2007, 10:27 AM   #55
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
that is in good shape and at a very good price

i too was surprised at how easily it came apart, as soon as Timo explained the c-clips it came right out

good luck with the rest of ur buildup

Brendan
I thought so.

One thing I'd suggest is to check the flange. You can put a screw driver next to the back of it, and hold it against the axle. Spin it and you should see if there is any warp to it as it moves along the tip of the screwdriver. I've heard of people putting these things on then finding out in the wreck (from the car it came out of) the flange was bent.

I like that bolt that holds the cross shaft in. Makes it quick and easy. I could see that being a terribly easy trail fix if you were one of the very, very few people to ever snap one of these shafts, and carried a spare.

And good luck to you as well. Wipe that dude down with naval jelly. It will get rid of a lot of that rust, just don't get it on your skin. It burns like crazy.
Unread 07-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #56
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the tip

we'll today i grinded down the brackets and grinded the whole thing down to bare metal, i primed the whole thing, and then i sprayed it with rustoleum satin black

Unread 07-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #57
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i just realized that the giuy at the hardware store gave me Charlesten Green instead of satin black, so now i have a green axle...lol...o well ill get that fixed tomorrow!!!

Unread 07-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #58
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
thanks for the tip

we'll today i grinded down the brackets and grinded the whole thing down to bare metal, i primed the whole thing, and then i sprayed it with rustoleum satin black
I personally would have held off on the paint, once you weld on perches, shock mounts, and weld the tubes to housing youll have taken half of that paint back off,hah.. thats just me though... looks nice and good luck with the rest of the build.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #59
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i would have waited, but i dont have the money quite yet (just moved and dont have a new job yet), so im gonna have to wait on the welding and stuff, so i figured i might as well coat it with something, and since i already grinded off the brackets, i went a head and grinded the whole thing down and slapped some paint on it to keep it from rusting again

Unread 08-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #60
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i picked up a set of Ford Racing Disc Brake (like the link Timo gave me)

there were no instructions that came with it, so i was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction

here are the calipers, they have a hole in the center of them, i have never looked at a set of calipers before

there are different brake pads, on set has a metal clip across the back of it, and the other has a green claw type thing, what do i do with those

there are also assorted bolts, weird ones, they have rectangular tops, there are two different lengths of those kinds, and there are also gold bolts that have a hex head and matching nuts

there are also silver spacer-type things that fit inside the backing plate center hole, but im not sure what they do

can anyone help me out??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.