Build up Begins!! - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Build up Begins!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-21-2007, 07:45 PM   #151
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I may have missed it, but out of curiosity what are oyu gonna do for shocks?

RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #152
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

im either going to go with some Monotubes or some bilsteins
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #153
Twsty
1988 MJ Comanche 

T&T sent me a tracbar that was WAY too long. I had to have it shortened 1" by a local welder with a chop-saw. If you got the 6.5" tracbar kit...thats what I got too.

They said that since "new" 6.5" coils actually measure around 8" they had to make the tracbar longer to compensate for the extra lift from springs. Since my 6.5" springs have been owned by about 7 people in my club before me...they were right at 6.5". I call BS on this claim and believe that they just didnt want to deal with switching me to a different bar.

Let us know what you end up doing!
Twsty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #154
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedSymphony
T&T sent me a tracbar that was WAY too long. I had to have it shortened 1" by a local welder with a chop-saw. If you got the 6.5" tracbar kit...thats what I got too.

They said that since "new" 6.5" coils actually measure around 8" they had to make the tracbar longer to compensate for the extra lift from springs. I call BS on that, and believe that they just didnt want to deal with switching me to a different bar.

Let us know what you end up doing!
one thing i can think of is that i have the raised trac bar mount, but they didnt compensate for that, but what ur saying makes sense too, ill call them after i get the lift on and the longarms bolted up and see whats up....if theyre too long ill make them make me a new trac bar and OVERNIGHT them too me (they grounded stuff to me, but it takes like 5 business days). Im already gettting annoyed with them, because every time i speak with them they talk to me as if i have never looked under neath the jeep before

i will be royally pissed if they dont help me out with this trac bar in a couple days

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
Unread 11-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #155
Twsty
1988 MJ Comanche 

Well I hope that they do help you out. They told me that I could either throw a 1" spacer on top of the springs, or get it shortened. I didnt want to use a spacer because I am at 6.5" with short arms. 7.5" would be INSANE with short arms.

Like I said...I just found a local welder who was able to use a chop-saw to cut out the plug welds, and the weld around the end of the tube. He then chopped off the tracbar 1" shorter, and plug welded the insert back into place. It only cost me $10. Good luck with this canundrum.

the Jeep looks nice! I cant wait to see it once you have the 35s under it
Twsty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2007, 07:12 AM   #156
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i cant wait for 35s too, but im gonna wait untill i can regear and get some lockers, and possibly a AJ rear tire carrier

Unread 11-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #157
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i got the belly pan bolted up, but it started to sleet/snow so i stopped for the day (plus its almost turkey time)

i have to mark where to drill next, but this is as far as i have gotten for the day

tucks up really nicely against the 231

Unread 11-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #158
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyohn
i got the belly pan bolted up, but it started to sleet/snow so i stopped for the day (plus its almost turkey time)

i have to mark where to drill next, but this is as far as i have gotten for the day
That belly pan sure is sweet, makes me want to get long arms right now! That sucks about the snow, I was welding up some rock sliders in a short sleeve shirt today. Keep up the good work man.
Unread 11-22-2007, 11:38 AM   #159
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64
That belly pan sure is sweet, makes me want to get long arms right now! That sucks about the snow, I was welding up some rock sliders in a short sleeve shirt today. Keep up the good work man.

thanks, ill try to get it done tomorrow if the weather cooperates

this belly pan is probably 60lbs, it definetly takes two people to hold it up and line everything up correctly, so if u dont have a person willing to work in the cold, it doesnt work so well...lol

Unread 11-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #160
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

im almost there...i hope

here is what i got done today

(the passenger side went much better then the driver side)

i just need to get all four of the tranny bolts in, get the UCAs mounted and the driver side LCA (lost the nut so i had to go to the store and get another one), i have to bleed the brakes, get the trac bar on, and do the rear shackles

Unread 11-24-2007, 07:28 PM   #161
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

a lesson i learned drilling all the holes, was start from the outside and mark the centers of the holes u need to drill, i started with a 1/4" and worked my way up to 13/16". Then i used a 3/4" hole saw to cut the interior supports. From the inside we used the smallest bit we could find to start the hole (kept the bit from walking as much as possible). we then worked our way up to the 1/2" that TnT reccomends. We did this on the passenger side, the driver side we did first and it didnt turn out as well, it took some drilling and filing to get the bolts to slide through.

so thats my biggest tip for installing this thing, also take ur time and dont rush!!!

Unread 11-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #162
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

does anybody have any tips for cutting off the old LCA mounts

ive tried a hack saw and sawzall, what would did u guys use to get them off??

Unread 11-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #163
fast64
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tried taking a cut off wheel to the welds?
Unread 11-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #164
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i tried for a little while but my dad broke the grinder, the cutoff wheels were working pretty well, maybe ill take the sawzall back and get another grinder

Unread 11-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #165
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Your sawzall is only as good as the blades you put in it. Go out and buy "the torch" blades made by Milwaukee. They go through thick metal like butter.
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.