build thread for my capable daily driver - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > build thread for my capable daily driver

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 04-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #61
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Made progress on the tire carrier. It's the old AMC style from 84-91, picked it up from pick N pull for $17 or so. I didn't have a drill with me at the junkyard so I wasn't able to get the internal bracing for the rear quarter panel and bumper. I made my own out of some 3/16" flat stock. I may do more later, depending on how this does. Still gotta paint it and trim down one of the braces because I cut it too long.

Here's my method for positioning the carrier where I wanted it before any holes had been drilled. Didn't have an extra set of hands, but I do have plenty of cymbal stands with clamps being that I'm a drummer. Worked pretty well.

in position

template for the bumper latch cutout

kids, this is what happens when you don't use protection!:banghead:

here is the brace for the bumper. It goes from the passenger side lower hinge across to the middle and catches the right two bolts for the latch bracket. About 30" long and 2" wide, 3/16" thick. It connects the 4 bolts for the lower right hinge to the right 2 bolts for the latch bracket.

The left 2 bolts for the latch bracket have their own backing plate made out of the same flat stock (2"x5"). I may extend this to the left end of the bumper and bolt through where I have my CB antenna mount. I need more metal to do that, though.

Sorry I don't have better pictures. I was focused on what I was doing, and it was getting late.

mocked up

Will be done tomorrow.

74 Nova - 2" drop and disc conv. Sold.
My videos
tizzdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #62
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I never came upon your build thread until tonight. Its great. All your trail reports looked like fun, the trail damage you took was no surprise. Every spot was literally a well known spot to break stuff .

I'm not sure what you've done up to date but it looks like the rear corners you just bent back into the best shape you could get them? Its a prime spot to hit so don't be surprised if leaving it that way doesn't hold up for long lol. If you haven't already I'd suggest looking at the link before you build your rear bumper http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...5/#post9237914

Also -- wanted to ask you what brand name is that CB Antenna you're running, and how well it works on trails. Highway distance isn't any concern.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #63
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep89JV View Post
I never came upon your build thread until tonight. Its great. All your trail reports looked like fun, the trail damage you took was no surprise. Every spot was literally a well known spot to break stuff .

I'm not sure what you've done up to date but it looks like the rear corners you just bent back into the best shape you could get them? Its a prime spot to hit so don't be surprised if leaving it that way doesn't hold up for long lol. If you haven't already I'd suggest looking at the link before you build your rear bumper http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...5/#post9237914

Also -- wanted to ask you what brand name is that CB Antenna you're running, and how well it works on trails. Highway distance isn't any concern.
Thanks! Sorry I guess I haven't checked this thread in a while. The antenna was just what I found at the local Fry's Electronics. It's 4' long, but now that I have my tire carrier, I'm going to move it up higher. I should get much better range with the antenna not blocked by the body of the jeep.

I was just about to check out Paraleyes' rear cut/fold thread, as it's been on my to-do list for a while. Thanks for the comments. I'm gonna post a couple updates now
My videos
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #64
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Tire Carrier Done

Time for some updates. I did finally get my tire carrier finished and working, but not before a good amount of expletives. Took it wheeling after the install, and had no problems at all. I watched it carefully in the rearview mirror to see if it moved, and there wasn't really any play so I was pleased.

Fast forward to the trip home... I hadn't located the stop-cable in the right hole in the bumper, and while reconnecting my sway bar, the tire carrier swung all the way around towards the passenger front corner and caved in the quarter panel. :

As I was trying to close it, the ball-hinges gave out and the whole damn thing fell off onto the side of the road. I was very tempted to leave it there. : :

Turns out the hinges were worn, and someone had put some flimsy washers under them to hold the carrier arm on. When I was feeling less angry, I replaced them with some larger, stronger washers and pushed out the dent. Also had to grind at the bumper latch a bit to get it to open and close smoothly, but now I'm glad to say that it is fully functional and not a PITA to get in to the trunk at all.

on and fixed:
My videos
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #65
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Skid Plate

So, this is the only picture I have of the skid plate. It shows the exhaust clamp after the catalytic converter, which was rattling up against the skid. Very annoying. I dropped the skid down and ground off the ends of the u-bolt and it's fine now.

The skid plate is really strong, and I've already given it some scratches without even knowing, so I'd say it's doing its job.

skid bolted back up with ends ground down. Plenty of room now. :P
My videos
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #66
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Front Bumper Done

Finished my front bumper as well. All I have to do is put some caps on the ends for cosmetics, but it's strong and high clearance, which is what I was going for.

Uses the C4x4 1/4" thick tow hook brackets and it's own 1/4" mounting brackets. The C4x4 brackets use a total of 6 bolts per side, and I won't be doing any winching off of this bumper.

Center section is 1/4" 1.5 x 3.5 Angle with a thickened lip.

The "wings" on the outside of the center section are 1x4 rect. tubing and are gussetted to the brackets and angled 5 degrees back to follow the curve of the grill.

Mocked up:

Welded & ready for paint:

Most of the critical welding was done by my buddy who was letting me use his garage.

My videos
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #67
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Oh and before anyone mentions it, I was on the curb because the extension cord wouldn't quite reach to the street. It's not a poser shot.

Hopefully today I can make some progress installing my JCR Offroad rock sliders. My rockers and pinch seam on the drivers side are in bad shape, but I think I can make it work.
My videos
Unread 07-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #68
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Got my sliders on finally. They've been sitting in the living room for around 2 months. Sorry wifey!

Anyway, my pinch seam was caved in pretty badly on the drivers side, but 3 of the 5 bolts on that side are through, and it should be fine for the upward impacts the sliders will get. I'm really happy with these things, they're super tough, and fit well (assuming you're not starting with body damage like me). I'll probably hit them with another coat of bedliner.

Anyway onto the pictures.

My videos
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:57 AM   #69
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

5 months later and the XJ has sold. Developed some electrical issues and I decided to go for a WJ. It's an 03 limited with all skids, V8 and Quadradrive. I'll make another thread for it tomorrow once I can get pictures.
My videos
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:03 AM   #70
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just saw this thread
Let's hope you don't trash the WJ the way you did the XJ
holy crap

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #71
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Haha holy crap is right. That was one of the reasons I was ready to move on and start fresh. I wheeled for too long before getting armor. Learned that lesson for sure.
My videos
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #72
4DoorXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

great lookin jeep
4DoorXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #73
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

cant belive you got rid of this...
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #74
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

I do miss the XJ but the WJ has all the options that I used to wish the XJ had. Here's a link to my WJ thread. I did get some rims and tires, with a lift kit on the way.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...mited-1157831/
My videos

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.