build thread for my capable daily driver - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > build thread for my capable daily driver

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 03-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #46
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
Buildup looks good so far. Sorry to say you really screwed up with the rocker damage. Reading on here helped me realize how important rock rails and other armor are. Check out my sig for all the armor I have, and I would have been stuck many times without it.
I wouldn't say I screwed up. I mean, yeah it sucks, but I knew what I was doing when that happened. I'll deal with it. It's just a result of finding myself on a trail that I couldn't turn around on, and was just focused on finishing it. After the first accidental dent, I knew I was going to have to replace the rockers with rect. tubing or sliders that extend up to cover the rockers.

74 Nova - 2" drop and disc conv. Sold.
My videos
tizzdizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #47
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Well, I finally took the plunge and just ordered Stage 3 sliders and a TC skid from JCR Offroad. Took advantage of the sale they're having, thanks to Paraleyes suggestion. Hard to drop $500 smackers with the click of a button! I'm just going to have to bend the pinch seam back enough so that I can bolt the slider to it on the drivers side.

I also ordered a pair of their nutstrips so that I can eventually build a rear bumper.

I dropped it off to get the oil leaks taken care of because I just don't have the time or place to do it myself.

The source of all this spending is the fact that wifey and I went looking for newer jeeps today, and didn't find anything we liked that were reasonably priced, so she suggested that I just fix mine. So I am.

Also, stay tuned for a couple pics of my cheapo camera mount and a test video.
My videos
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #48
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Just ordered some Skyjacker Hydro "softride" shocks from Quadratec. I'll be glad to get rid of the Rubicon Express shocks. 4 for $100 with $35 rebate. That and a replacement headlight bezel..
My videos
Unread 03-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #49
kyleboender
2005 LJ Wrangler 

looks good, keep it up!
kyleboender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 03:39 AM   #50
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzdizz View Post
Just ordered some Skyjacker Hydro "softride" shocks from Quadratec. I'll be glad to get rid of the Rubicon Express shocks. 4 for $100 with $35 rebate. That and a replacement headlight bezel..
Let us know how you like the shocks. I'm glad to hear you picked up a set of those sliders. I'm hoping most of my order will come in later this week. I can't wait! Check out the Rampage R4 Conversion kit. I love mine! Those things make some serious light! I even get flashed now and then just using my low-beams.
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/#post9237914"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way![/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2000-xj-build-fully-armored-fully-capable-979162/#post8964962"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Verdana"]My 2000 XJ Build[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/B]
Paraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #51
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

While waiting for my parts to arrive, I started in on a few things I've been meaning to do for a while. First, I ordered a new headlight bezel because the driver's side broke somehow when I wasn't paying attention. Since it comes primered, I decided I'd paint the rest of the grill to match it, since it's covered in bugs and crap anyway.

Took off and test-painted the broken bezel tonight to see how I like the satin black against the rest of the gloss black paint. I washed it in the kitchen sink don't tell my wife and scuffed it with 500 grit sand paper, then primered it. Once the primer is dry I'm going to shoot the Rustoleum Satin Black.

Poor thing looks so sad. (sorry for the cell pics, my brother has my camera)

scuffed up

primed

Edit: painted pictures. Not a huge difference between satin/ stock gloss black, but i just want the whole grill assembly to be one uniform color. The grill and the intact Passenger side headlight bezel have not been painted, for reference.

My videos

Last edited by tizzdizz; 03-11-2010 at 10:45 PM..
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #52
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

I also started thinking about how to build my front bumper. I scored a big relay rack for free, and it weighs a ton. 128 lbs in fact:

I plan on using the metal to build something with, and I'll buy whatever else I need to finish it off. It's about 7 feet tall, and each side is 1.5"x3.5" angle, 1/4" thick at it's thinnest, and tapers to 1/2" on the thickest end. The base is made from two 24" pieces of 5x6x.5" thick angle, which might get used, I'm not sure. This metal is beef though.

I plan to build a slim bumper with it, taper the edges, and extend the center section so that it is 6" tall, in order to cover the bottom of the support below the grill.

I will incorporate side protection too. Don't mind the screw holes up the sides, I'll weld some flat stock over the top.

I'm going to try to build it using the C4x4 tow hook brackets, which extend back a ways to the unibody "frame". They attach with 6 bolts to the body, which isn't as many as most of the aftermarket tie-in brackets used, but if the brackets are good enough to tow from with hooks, then a bumper should be fine to attach to them.

I may convert the tow hooks to D-rings, or I may weld some D-ring tabs through the bumper nice and sturdy. I'll know more about what I want once I start mocking it up. I don't plan on using a winch with this setup.

I clamped that scrap piece to get a feel for what the 6" center section would look like, and plan to start the angled cuts at same angle drawn on the metal, but at the bottom of the piece shown there. I haven't worked out any details yet. Just looking at dimensions, etc. For now this is kinda the profile I'm looking at.

I didn't cut anything yet because I'm out of cutting discs and I don't want to dive right in without giving it a little bit of thought first. Can't waste metal.
My videos
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #53
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

Brown Santa showed up today. Got some goodies. Still waiting on the sliders from JCR offroad, but the transfer case skid and rear nut strips came, and they're pretty sturdy.

The TC skid is 1/4", and weighs 50 pounds!

I also got Skyjacker Softride shocks, a new oil pan gasket, rear main seal, and a new oil pan since my old one is dented pretty bad. The nutstrips will be used for a future rear bumper build.

My videos
Unread 03-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #54
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

I cut up some pieces to be the basis of my front bumper, but I haven't really decided how I want to bring it all together yet. I'm going to have this center piece attach to the frame tie-ins, and a wing on each side angled back 5 degrees to match the curve of the front end. It will be higher and farther back than in the picture.

I might extend the center piece down farther, and have the wings angle up towards the corners, but I haven't figure out the details yet. Just kinda playing around at the moment.

My videos
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #55
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

great progress. im putting my budget boost on this week i only got the rear on so far lol
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #56
97tj stocker
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzdizz View Post
The TC skid is 1/4", and weighs 50 pounds!
Cant go wrong with anything JCR for the $$.

Let us know how you like the skid, ease of install and all that...
redneck jeep club member #44
M.J.D.W.C. #73
CSA club member #4
'99 XJ. '09 JK as well.

www.Georgiacrawlers.com
97tj stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #57
565matt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build. Good to see a well thought out build on a budget.
565matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #58
spedsir
1996 XJ Cherokee 

nice jeep and sweet thread!
spedsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #59
Paraleyes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97tj stocker View Post
Cant go wrong with anything JCR for the $$.

Let us know how you like the skid, ease of install and all that...
Not for me man. Nothing would line up for me with any of their parts I bought from them. I still have my sliders to install yet, but when I get around to installing them, I'll be expecting to cut them up and rebuild those too. The main thing was the lower rear quarter panel armor I ordered from them, because I couldn't fix those. The bends were way off and when I sent them pictures of how far they were off in proportion to their rear bumper ends and with the gap between the body panel, they still wouldn't accept any accountability for any of their mess ups.

Otherwise... X2 on the skid. I'm curious how that turns out.
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/cut-fold-rear-lower-quarter-panels-right-way-1007865/#post9237914"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]Cut And Fold Rear Lower Quarter Panels - The Right Way![/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-2000-xj-build-fully-armored-fully-capable-979162/#post8964962"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Verdana"]My 2000 XJ Build[/FONT][/SIZE][/URL][/B]
Paraleyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #60
tizzdizz
2003 WJ 

The skid is in! I don't have any pictures, but it's nothing exciting anyway. My crossmember is ****ed though, so we had to do the best we could with the self tapping bolts that hit the front of the Xmember.

I am not impressed with the nutserts they sent with it. They didn't crush very well and there weren't any extras in the kit. Luckily the guy helping me with the install had a whole box of them (different brand) that worked much better and allowed for some screw-ups. There is still one that is stripped but I need to pull the skid off in order to get at it. There are 10 more bolts holding it on though, and it's not load-bearing, so I think it will be fine for now.

It is super heavy-duty. I can't say it's poorly made. It should withstand a heck of an impact. Waiting on my sliders to arrive next Wed.
My videos

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.