Build thread, am I doing this right? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Build thread, am I doing this right?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Grinola
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Build thread, am I doing this right?

90 XJ stock except for the new radiator open system

Would like a 4.5" lift

I have purchased a 2" shackles and coil spacers.

I have purchased Dakota leafs to mix up with my own
XJ main dakota pack with XJ overload leaf.

Front home made upper and lower control arms
LCA 1" longer upper 1/4" longer
home made track bar longer
home made sway bar disconnects
Home made tranfer case drop kit 1 1/2"

Was planning to use the front coils from a grand Cherokee with my 1 3/4" coil spacers to get the 4.5 out of it but need to know if it will work?????

4 new Pro comp shocks for a 4-5" lift

New rear brake line.

Looking for 4.10 or 4.56 gears

not sure which tires 31 or 33

Home made safari rack with light bar.

What did I forget

Unread 09-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Grinola
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Help me out folks I want to get this done this coming weekend.
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know about everyone else, but I tried the v8 zj coils and only got 1" of lift. I know they were from a v8 zj, cause I removed them myself. they were also alot stiffer than the xj coils. so I removed them and added the 1.75 inch spacers, then later went with 3" lift coils.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
cheapfix
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinola View Post
Plain V8 grand cherokee coils only give about an inch of lift, you need the "upcountry" coils if you want to reach 4.5".

You could stack spacers or use a larger coil spacer - I am running a 3" homemade spacer and GC V8 coils for about 4-4.5" of lift up front.
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Grinola
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like new coils it is. The Dakota leaf swap write up suggested them for 4" of lift I wonder why. It said F150 coils or GC coils
Unread 09-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The f-150 coils will net you more lift, but they will ride like crap. they are really stiff, but I guess a 79 f-150 outweighs an XJ by a considerable amount.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

do NOT drop your Tcase over an inch. It will stress your motor mounts and even tilt your fan and it will eat your shroud.

I had f150 coils that were old and broken in, gave me 1.5 inches of lift. Look in the used section, i think there is a set of 4.5 inch coils for cheap
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinola View Post
I have purchased Dakota leafs to mix up with my own
XJ main dakota pack with XJ overload leaf.

Front home made upper and lower control arms
home made track bar longer
home made sway bar disconnects
Home made tranfer case drop kit 1 1/2"

4 new Pro comp shocks for a 4-5" lift

New rear brake line.

Looking for 4.10 or 4.56 gears

not sure which tires 31 or 33

Home made safari rack with light bar.

What did I forget
Bold added by me for emphasis.
Quote:
You are pretty ambitious!

Whenever I've installed an aftermarket part on my rig it takes at least twice as long as the instructions say.
Whenever I fabricate something for my rig it takes even longer.

I think you should slow down and don't rush this. You will be much happier in the long run than if you rush through it and add a bunch of junk on your rig just to lift it. Let me guess, you have a big date coming up and you want to impress the ladies? Plus I have concerns about the parts you are fabricating since they are essential parts of your suspension which may be a safety issue if they are not built properly.

Quote:
LCA 1" longer upper 1/4" longer
Where in the world did you get these figures? I think you'll have a horrible pinion angle, not to mention your coils will probably be bowing and you'll likely have issues with your front driveshaft and possibly steering. If you are going with a shot in the dark as far as how long to make them, I'd say no more than 1/2" longer and I'd extend the LCAs and UCAs the same length. But really, you should have a purpose for changing the geometry otherwise you will find yourself doing it over because it wasn't right the first time.

Last edited by EricsXJ; 09-15-2008 at 11:25 PM..
EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
2drx4
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Sit down and think a bit. Sometimes I find myself trying to make a deadline, or some goal, only to shoot myself in the foot because I didn't do the research.

Don't drop the tcase a bunch. Don't drop it at all if you can get away with it. If it vibes, use washers and shim it down 1/8" at a time until it goes away. Even then, it's a stupid mod (why'd ya lift it if you're just going to lower the belly?), and I'd much rather see you buy a SYE.

If you're planning to build new control arms, I suggest you tell us how... What material will you use? What type of joints? Will they be adjustable? I'd hate to see you make a bad choice and have a failure.

Same for the track bar... They're a PITA to build, speaking from experience. There's so many things it has to clear. I can see if you want to just lengthen a stock bar (cut it, sleeve it, weld it back together) but I really advise against this. The stock bar has so many design flaws.
2drx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would listen to what these guys are saying! Building some of this stuff certainly can become a safety issue & you might hinder the performance if you don't get it right. I can tell you that my Jeep at 6.5" and short arms should have not out flexed another XJ with 5" of lift and long arms. But it did the other guy made his entire lift himself including the long arms and must have done the math wrong or something.

Slow down even with a complete bolt in system you would be pushing it. I'm thinking this is a DD and that's the rush if so wait for a long weekend and start pre-building what you can. Just my

BTW, start soaking all the nuts and bolts you need to remove with PB now and hose them down every day and make sure you have a sawzall handy with a metal blade.

Chris.
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
LILXJ2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Build

I would have to go with the take your time thing. I put my 6.5 system in and i took about 3-4 weeks of a few nights a week and some time on the weekends to put it all together after dealing with broken bolts and all the B.S. that your run into during a built. Now i drive mine pretty much every where and i dont have a single issue out of it.

2000 XJ; JC Offroad bumper http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJB
JKS Quicker Disconnects, Moab Rims with 33's, 6.5" Rusty's lift, Tom Wood drive shaft, slip yolk eliminator, some fender hacking AND an 8.8 that needs to be installed!!!
LILXJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
Grinola
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Wow you guys are a wealth of information! This is my first Jeep and I just, wanted one... I am not even sure why a jeep. But I just had to have one. Now all I can think about is getting all the parts together to make this happen. Its like some wierd obsession. I really want to do this right. I hate doing things twice.

Well to answeer a few questions.

I am 30 and this is purely a fun truck that may even be trailered to where I use it.

The LCA figures came from an actual XJ lift chart.

LCA and UCA will be made from 2" DOM with 1/2" walls If the world blows up these things will be around for a long time to come. I will use the OEM size bushings with the front offset to allow more flex. The bushing carriers will be made from 2 and 3/4" DOM with 1/4" walls. The original arms had an I.D. of 2 1/4"

I will only go 1/8" at a time as suggested for the TC drop kit

I will buy some 4.5" lift coils and ditch the GC coils. Glad they were only $15 at the scrap yard.
Unread 09-16-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
Grinola
1986 XJ Cherokee 

I guess my only assumption remaining is that the Dakota pack with 2" shackles will produce the ride height and quality I am after.
Unread 09-16-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
Where in the world did you get these figures? I think you'll have a horrible pinion angle, not to mention your coils will probably be bowing and you'll likely have issues with your front driveshaft and possibly steering. If you are going with a shot in the dark as far as how long to make them, I'd say no more than 1/2" longer and I'd extend the LCAs and UCAs the same length. But really, you should have a purpose for changing the geometry otherwise you will find yourself doing it over because it wasn't right the first time.

x20! 1" longer LCAs are going to be WAY too long. The arms that Rubicon Express uses in their 4.5" kits aren't even 1/2" longer than the stock arms. And I think most companies' fixed-length arms are the same way.

Doing a little trigonometry here, assuming the the stock LCAs are 16" long (they're shorter than this but I can't recall the exact length off the top of my head) and that they're perfectly flat at stock height, to keep the axle in the same position with a 4.5" kit you'd need to make the arms just under 5/8" longer than stock. So yeah, 1" is WAY too much longer.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Grinola
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Would a 3/8" error be a big deal? Heres the chart I kinda thought that I had wiggle room with it but I will make them exact. You could have a bad bushing that put you off a 1/4"

Lift...........Lower Control .............Upper Control
...............Arm Length ................Arm Length

................Decimal--Fraction.....Decimal--Fraction

Stock........15.75.......15 ¾........15.00.......15
2”.............15.92.......16............14.88 .... ...15
3”.............16.09.......16............14.92 .... ...15
4”.............16.33.......16 3/8......15.03.......15
4.5”..........16.47.......16 ½........15.11.......15
5”.............16.62.......16 5/8......15.21.......15 ¼
6”.............16.97.......17............15.44 ... ...15 ½
7”.............17.36.......17 3/8......15.74.......15 ¾
8”.............17.81.......17 ¾........16.09.......16
9”.............18.30.......18 ¼........16.50.......16 ½
10”...........18.82.......18 ¾........16.96.......17

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.