Build My XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Build My XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 12-18-2006, 01:26 AM   #1
SlimGoaty
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Build My XJ

I was bored and I figured I would start a thread.

So I have a completely stock 91 XJ just sitting out in my driveway not getting driven becuase I have a 97 ZJ that I just purchased. That said the XJ will be getting lifted and all that good stuff as soon as i can get the funds (could take awhile, I like to spend money). At anyrate if it was your jeep and you didn't feel like putting much money into it but planned on lifting it and doing everything later what would you do to it now?

What kinda mods would you start off with if you could just do them in your spare time?

Be them cosmetic or mechanic what should I start with to just start wrenching and blow some time.

For those interested here is my future mods that i have planned.

RE 4.5'' Super Flex With Full Leafs
Either Cryco 8.25 or The Explorer 8.8 Conversion (Currently has D35 and ABS)
Some Aftermarket Front Bumper
Some Front Recovery Points
Some Sorta Roof rack w/ light-bar
Lockers
9500lb Winch
Probably only take it has far as 33's for now.
New Exhaust with high-flow Cat

As Said this is not a DD and I have plans for it but I want to mess around now and I dont really have money to devote to it quite yet.

My buildup on CherokeeForum

97 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231, RE 5.5, Tom Woods DS, AA SYE, 35x12.50 KM2,
Upgraded Harness, PIAA bulbs, Rustys Tie-Rod, L&L Fab bumper,
Quadratec 9500i Winch, Aussie locker, 4.88's
SlimGoaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 03:06 AM   #2
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

I suggest buying a welder and start by making the bumpers. Or maybe start with the rack. It's a good way to learn how to weld. You'll be suprised how useful it is to be able to to...

And maybe a junkyard lift and tires if you're cheap. I mean, the ford thunderbird coils seems to have worked well for the only person I manged to talk into doing it (maybe 4.5" of lift) and dakota/s-10 rear springs work well for about 4-5" of lift.

Then if you re-drill the track bar and buy (or make) some longer LCAs you've got a setup that at least works for very little money.

Then if you want to get bling you can buy the expensive stuff later. Or make it with that welder I convinced you to buy...
DirtyCommanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #3
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You could also hit up the junk yard or pick a part and look for some factory skid plates. I found a gas tank and front skid for $36, plus there were quite a few with transfer case skids, but I already have one. You could also get a rear factory hitch for a tow point, or some XJ's came from the factory with a rear tow hook bracket (I only saw one out of about 15 with one of these) in the back and look for front tow hooks off a cherokee. It's worth looking for because these are parts that would cost a lot new, are very helpful offroad, and that you can save a boat load of money on by getting used pieces. WHile you're at the junk yard, look for a dana 44. There are out there. That would be better than the 8.25 and easier to install than a 8.8.

You lift sounds good for 33's (you will need to do some trimming), but you will need to budget in for a SYE if you are going to 4.5". I have the same lift you are looking at with 32's A/T. I had bad vibes and some minor yoke binding at the TC when I would put my brakes on hard. I got the SYE from PORC (performance offroad center) and used a front DS in the rear. That can save you some money too over a tom woods shaft. You total would be about $250 rather than $500.

It's always a good idea to check the for sale forum on here or look for a local jeep club in your area. I found a nice used winch bumper for $275 and there are parts for XJ's in my club frequently (usually not whole lifts, but at least spring packs and leaf packs).

You have plenty of options, just get out there and look if you have the time.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #4
nudosimmons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

could you post some more info on the thunderbird coils? What year thunderbird? direct Bolt in? anything else?
nudosimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudosimmons
could you post some more info on the thunderbird coils? What year thunderbird? direct Bolt in? anything else?

Nope. No more info for you!

Nah, they're just V6 thunderbird and like bodied cars from say mid 80s to early 90s. They go in easy. The top part of the coil is about 1/4-1/2" wider, so they might clunk around a bit (I doubt it).
Unread 12-18-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
nudosimmons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

how much lift you expect to gain?
Unread 12-18-2006, 07:47 PM   #7
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudosimmons
how much lift you expect to gain?

Works out to 4"-5"~. It's really hard to tell because the truck we threw them on had a uh, 'colourful' past.

I might be putting a set in the front of my XJ at some point. Decides if I decide a DD on 35s would be cool, or if I keep the 35s as street tires for the MJ.
Unread 12-18-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
nudosimmons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i think im going to the junkyard this weekend so i may just find out for my self
Unread 12-18-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
xj5399
2000 TJ Wrangler 

whats some good things to look for at the junkyard....

im going to drop off my old car haha.. that car is the reason i own an XJ some guy ran a stop sign and T-boned me so what ever i get for it mayby the guy will trade me for axles or something.... what should i have in mind when i go?
xj5399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2006, 05:50 AM   #10
splitz

Thunderbird coils...really? Why would a sedans coils be so long?

If I remember those would be pretty soft, so they should flex pretty well.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.