Build from Iraq, any suggestions? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Build from Iraq, any suggestions?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #91
justanotherjpr

I would ditch the hitch and build a 2" receiver into your bumper. Mount your bumper with as many hitch bolts as you can and the stock 8 and you will be just fine.

justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #92
blacklabel000
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yup i was going to say the same thing, you need to make plates for the factory bolts on that rear bumper, do it right away so you dont make the same mistake i did......... and if youre up to it, throw some flat stock under the frame rails to stiffen er up a little!

the jeep is comming out great btw! keep up the good work!

-Nick

96' XJ: 6.5 RC lift, 35 MTRs,4.88s, 30/8.8 locked, tons of homebrew, blah blah blah...
A-TOWN 4X4
blacklabel000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #93
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Hey there guys, sorry its been a while! I moved and dont have internet for a bit. I haven't gotten to much more done to it, mostly waiting on other people to have time for some welding but........for free I can wait. I have purchased a set of new Cragar Soft 8's (15x8, 4" BS and black), figured you guys would like that lol. Ordered them online for $171 shipped from SummitRacing.com

I got to take the XJ out to Squaw Mtn for a couple hours this last weekend with my kids and it was a blast! I had my 9 yr old daughter try to take movies but that didn't work, she kept running because she'd get scared. lol I found a trail is like a beginners rock crawling course. The beginning is very easy and the further I got up, the larger the rocks would get, its was perfect to finally test out the lift. Which did amazing! I have a couple pics on my other comp, I'll try to get them up tomorrow.
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #94
WOOOKIE
2001 XJ Cherokee 

im guessing you may be with the 17th Fires?
WOOOKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #95
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOOKIE View Post
im guessing you may be with the 17th Fires?
Nope, now with the 671st Eng, have been in 321st Eng and 341st Eng as well though.
Unread 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #96
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here are some pics, no flexing or anything but atleast something.

Unread 11-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #97
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Recently I had an overheating problem due to my install of the temp probe of the fans being placed incorrectly. And then I noticed some coolant missing and having to fill it up, so I'm guessing a blown head gasket. The oil had a little bit of coolant in it as well, so I went and purchased some Bar Leaks head gasket repair stuff that claims it is permanent, for a temporary fix. So I installed that stuff this weeken and am now looking for a replaced 87-90 4.0 for a rebuild project. The reason that I am rebuilding a different engine is because this is my daily driver and need it to run. The reason that I picked the renix engine instead of the HO is because I have purchased a couple parts already that are brand new and recently installed (H.O. altenator, bored TB, new exhaust manifold, etc) and plus I figure if my renix has lasted 260,000+ miles, then a rebuild should last a while too, plus I think its cool to have a renix. lol

My plans for the rebuild is starting with the Comp Cams extreme cam kit (listed earlier in the thread) for part of the upper engine rebuild, and some more power. Then I have been talking with Ron LeMmon at www.RPMRons.com (http://www.rpmrons.com/JeepKits.html) about putting together a kit to finish the rebuild parts. Do you guys think I should get new pistons? Or are they normally not needed during a rebuild?
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #98
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpalmer32 View Post
Recently I had an overheating problem due to my install of the temp probe of the fans being placed incorrectly. And then I noticed some coolant missing and having to fill it up, so I'm guessing a blown head gasket. The oil had a little bit of coolant in it as well, so I went and purchased some Bar Leaks head gasket repair stuff that claims it is permanent, for a temporary fix. So I installed that stuff this weeken and am now looking for a replaced 87-90 4.0 for a rebuild project. The reason that I am rebuilding a different engine is because this is my daily driver and need it to run. The reason that I picked the renix engine instead of the HO is because I have purchased a couple parts already that are brand new and recently installed (H.O. altenator, bored TB, new exhaust manifold, etc) and plus I figure if my renix has lasted 260,000+ miles, then a rebuild should last a while too, plus I think its cool to have a renix. lol

My plans for the rebuild is starting with the Comp Cams extreme cam kit (listed earlier in the thread) for part of the upper engine rebuild, and some more power. Then I have been talking with Ron LeMmon at www.RPMRons.com (Jeep master engine rebuild kits | parts) about putting together a kit to finish the rebuild parts. Do you guys think I should get new pistons? Or are they normally not needed during a rebuild?
You should get new pistons, bored .060 over
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:53 AM   #99
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
You should get new pistons, bored .060 over
In reality what all will that do? Just add more power, or compression? I've heard of peope boring them out for stroker kits. Is there ANY down side? I'm up for having more power, I just want a good dependable motor with some decent power.
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #100
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpalmer32 View Post
In reality what all will that do? Just add more power, or compression? I've heard of peope boring them out for stroker kits. Is there ANY down side? I'm up for having more power, I just want a good dependable motor with some decent power.
You could bore it over, which would add more displacement, which would add more power. Modified motors are not always as reliable as stockers. You'd probably do fine to just do a stock rebuild.
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #101
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

If I didn't bore it out, should I even worry about getting new pistons? The owner of RPMRons.com emailed me back saying that the rebuild kit, minus the parts from the Comp Cams kit, would be $456 with pistons and $293 without pistons? Yay or nay? lol
Unread 11-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #102
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So this weekend my brother came over and we welded up the TnT Frame Stiffeners, wow they are amazing! I drilled some small rosette holes just to add some more strength but I think they were a little small. I just used the largest drill bit I had. But anyways, after that I coated them with some Duplicolor truck bed lining spray. It all went together really good, no problems or anything. I am a beginner at welding so I tried a bit and let me tell ya, I definitely need more practice. I understand it all, I just need more practice, plus my brother did it for a living so it just made mine look even worse. But it felt great getting out and working on the XJ again.

We let that dry then went up to a place called Squaw Mtn to test it all out. Let me tell ya, there is a noticeable difference once these are installed. I only have a couple pics for now, I have to get the rest from brothers camera. In the end, I never got stuck and ended up pulling him out about 8 times. It was really fun though, and a great chance to take my kids out and test the stiffeners. He also has some great pictures of my Wago flexing a bit. Those should hopefully be posted within the week.

Unread 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #103
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thats why you are pulling him out, it's not a jeep!
98GooseXJ14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #104
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00CherokeeXJ14 View Post
Thats why you are pulling him out, it's not a jeep!
lol yeah, he has some pretty low tread depth on his all-seasons as well. It did feel good to have to tow him out though, he's my older brother that originally got me into wheeling. So to have to tow him out is a pretty good feeling. Now he swears his next vehicle is going to be another Jeep.
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #105
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So I went to the local JY yesterday looking for a new oil cap, since I left mine off and drove away. Well I ended up getting some sweet deals on some stuff! Take a look:
I'm going to paint this black to match my interior but here it is:

Here it is just primered:

And here it is just painted:

So I ended up getting these plus my oil cap for $10 and some change! I couldn't believe it! I found a transfer case skid plate but I wasn't sure if all the skids plates are the same for the different xfer cases. Any body know? There was a couple there, oh yeah about 15-20 XJ's, ranging from '84 to '00!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.