Build from Iraq, any suggestions? - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Build from Iraq, any suggestions?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-05-2009, 05:29 PM   #76
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpalmer32 View Post
lol
- - - - - -

Steelies are the bestest in whole wide world

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #77
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Greenmachine View Post
- - - - - -

Steelies are the bestest in whole wide world

Dang, shouldn't have brought a club to a gun fight! I actually like steelies as well more, so we'll see
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #78
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I really like the Classic Locks (Mickey Thompson IIRC) If I could have anything...that or some Moabs

Steelies are cheap and look O.K...I mean I like em

Thank You Hooligan!!!

Unread 08-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #79
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

for some reasons painted black moabs IMO would look amazing on your rig.
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #80
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Well lately the build has been a little slow because I've been camping at the river and taking my kids swimming a LOT, enjoying the USA a little bit.

I was suppose to start doing my engine work today but it started raining lol So I guess when it dries up later this week I'll start with the RMS job, then probably work on the exhaust/intake manifold gasket, exhaust manifold, valve cover gasket and head gasket.

I got the last piece of steel for the rear bumper so I went and cut out the holes to the rear "frame" tubes. I think I might ask my father-in-law for a two more pieces of flat steel so that I can use the original 8 bumper bracket holes as well. As of now, I was just going to use two of the hitch bolts but I just don't think thats strong enough. What do you guys think?

Here is just a rough layout of how its going to be. I am also wanting to cut the ends of the bumper at 45* half way down to add some looks to it.

I ended up drilling some rosette holes in my frame stiffeners as well. So hopefully soon I should be putting those on
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #81
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Well today was pretty good, I got the rear main seal replaced, which went together great. Just found out was missing one oil pan bolt. Also the RMS was hard as a rock so I'm hoping that the new one should help.

Afer installing the RMS, and the pan was off I needed to replace the timing chain cover, timing chain cover gasket and seal, and the harmonic balancer. When I first purchased the Jeep the harmonic balancer was bad and wore a hole through the timing chain cover. We didnt have the money at the time so I put some JB Weld on the cover to hole that was wore through. Below you can see the old cover with teh JB Weld compared to the newer cover. Also you can see that the old cover was actually broke around the seal. I installed Fel-Pro gaskets on everything today and actually that is all that I bought for all my gaskets. I used the one piece for the oil pan which was GREAT to install!

I also through a couple coats of some Rustoleum primer on the pan since I cleaned it out and had some time for it to dry while I was changing the RMS. Some of it got scratched off but maybe I'll through some more on there tomorrow now that its installed.

Unread 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #82
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Tomorrow I plan on changing the valve cover gasket, installing my triple threat electric fan conversion kit, Rubicon Express track bar brace under the oil pan, possibly changing out the exhaust manifold and gasket. I looked at the exhaust manifold and it looked to be in good condition. I didnt see any cracks on it but I will get a better look at it tomorrow.
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #83
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Seeing your build just made me cry over the cash for clunker victims...:'(

I drove by the Hyundai dealer and they had 4 late 80s XJs in their clunker lot made me wanna steal em and fix em up.

You are doing good work

Thank You Hooligan!!!

Unread 08-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #84
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Whats even worse about those being in the clunkers lot is that they were probably all dana 44's lol All Jeep fans would probably drive by and just start crying lol. Thank you for the compliments as well! I also have the mustang fuel injectors as well.
Unread 08-14-2009, 11:44 PM   #85
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Today was quite productive! I first took off the valve cover, cleaned it all up and coated it wit some high temp paint to make it look a little better. I picked a metallic burnt orange for some reason but it actually looks pretty good IMO. I cleaned the gasket surface pretty good as well.

While the paint was drying I installed the Rubicon Express track bar brace, which wasn't as bad as most people say online. Just dont tighten all the bolts as you put them in, tighten them all together and try to put the bolts through all at the same time. If you get what I'm saying lol.

I removed my stock injectors and installed the Mustang type 3 injectors. I like the one piece design and plus having the 4 holes instead of the 1 hole just makes more sense.

After the injectors I jumped into the FF Dynamics Triple Threat electric fan conversion kit. The install of the fans went great and they look awesome! Oh I also removed the a/c condenser because there was no more coolant left in the system and I don't care to have it on there since I am going to be doing the OBA system in the future. Back to the fan kit. I contacted FF Dynamics and told them that I wanted to alter their setup and have all three fans run when they need tofor the radiator, but then also have one fan (the driver side fan) run when the tranny cooler temp rises above a set temp because it sits right behind the tranny cooler. They recommended me getting another one of their wiring harnesses and using it in conjuction with the other one. So that is the way I have it hooked it, its going to be so nice! I also installed a switch on my dash to shut off all power to the three fans for when I go through deep water.

Unread 08-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #86
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I drove down to the store lastnight and parked next to a stock XJ just for the chance to compare it hehe. Here are the pics:

Unread 08-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #87
billt79
1995 XJ Cherokee 

lol if the owner of that stock one saw yours next to his he would be annoyed!! nice rig!
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:13 PM   #88
justanotherjpr
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking great. Definitely try to pick up more than two hitch bolts per side and also get the factory 8 bolts while you're at it. When you're being recovered or recovering someone, that thing can never be too well attached.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #89
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Looking great. Definitely try to pick up more than two hitch bolts per side and also get the factory 8 bolts while you're at it. When you're being recovered or recovering someone, that thing can never be too well attached.
Yeah thats what was thinking too. I'm going to have the stock hitch/receiver attacked as well for recovery, but I want it all strong.
Unread 08-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #90
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt79 View Post
lol if the owner of that stock one saw yours next to his he would be annoyed!! nice rig!
haha, actually i pulled up right after they parked It does make a 3.5" with 30" M/Ts look pretty big though lol

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.