Build from Iraq, any suggestions? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Build from Iraq, any suggestions?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 06-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #31
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So my buddy with the 32" TSL's just wrote me last night and I guess he didnt want to get me those and he says that he ended up getting me some 33x13.5-15 Nitto Mud Grapplers! lol Im all about getting the 33's especially since I have the TJ flares but should I jump up to a 15x10 wheel with about 4" of backspacing? I'm not to worried about waiting for the wheels since I still have my new BFG M/Ts on there now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
The closed system is 'supposed' to be more efficent, but I've never seen one work as well as it was supposed to, especially in a Cherokee.
Well maybe mine is the one that does work lol, well at least seems to as of now. *knock on wood*

nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #32
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So the update is that I have installed the RE SF lift with the full spring packs and it is great! I had NO rusted bolts, I pre soaked everything in the aceton/atf mix that was mentioned before so maybe that helped. I have some more pics on my camera but I cant find the stupid thing so I took some pics with my phone. So far i've installed the RE kit with the GEN2 discos, the DT 8000 shocks, front and rear JKS BPEs, the RE adj track bar and mount (haven't done the brace yet because I have to remove the oil pan soon and didnt want to waste more time, so thats soon.). I installed a 96 Grand Cherokee V8 tie-rod (HUGE difference) since I noticed that my tie rod ends were bad and I found one at a JY for $13. I cut the front "fangs" out of the front fenders and am getting ready to cut the fenders out for my TJ flares, and I also sanded/grinded out some rusts spots and primered those so I can finish the O.D. green paint job. Today I picked up a '88 XJ gauge cluster with the tach and installed that, also broke my STUPID speedo cable. Oh I also picked up a 4-Runner roll bar for the back.

Last edited by nrpalmer32; 06-13-2009 at 10:23 PM..
Unread 06-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #33
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So I still have a lot to install, so once I find my camera I will show some more pics and plus I will try to take more pics as I install the rest of the stuff and work on the motor a little more.

I was a little worried about getting the DT8000 shocks because of what others say about that brand but from what I have experienced with the 8000's is that they seem great. They are a little stiff but I would rather have that than a bouncy ride. To me the ride pretty much feels the same as my stock setup with the helper springs in the rear, I was actually a little surprised with how there wasn't that big of a difference. I'll tell you what though, the shocks are extremely beefy, and a LOT heavier than the ones they replaced. The shafts on them are HUGE and the extra bump stop that comes on the shaft is pretty sweet. I haven't got to take it out on the hwy at all but thats just because I haven't got my alignment done yet, I've drove down the back roads at 60mph where I live and bombed around my yard a bit.

Oh and I did have some vibrations/knocking when I hit the brakes so I went to install my Rusty's xfer case drop and new tranny mount and realized that my original tranny mount was REALLY soft, almost gummy. Guessing from all the oil that has drained out of my RMS lol. But once I installed the xfer case drop and new tranny mount it seems to drive great.
Unread 06-17-2009, 02:07 AM   #34
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I finally found my camera so here are the xtra pics that I found. Since these pics even I've installed the C4x4 tow hook kit and C-Rok steering brace kit. Pics to come on that.

Unread 06-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #35
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

That thing is going to look sick with TJ flares and OD green. Are you going to paint the flares as well? Great project!

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!

Last edited by lowicz96; 06-17-2009 at 06:46 AM..
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #36
justanotherjpr

Looks really good
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #37
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowicz96 View Post
That thing is going to look sick with TJ flares and OD green. Are you going to paint the flares as well? Great project!
in the pics the flares look blueish but they are black, and plan on keeping them black as well. thanks for the compliments guys! today i'm thinking about getting out the angle grinder and taking some of my fender off so I can get it ready for the fender. Oh and I should also be painting it after the fenders are cut too.

So I do have a question though. Once I added the new tranny mount and 1" xfer case drop the knocking ended for about a 2-3 days, now its back. While Im driving it though, it sounds like its the front driveshaft? So I was thinking about the angles and stuff and realized that as I lower the rear of the xfer case, the front rises....meaning it causes a harsher angle up front? Is that right? I plan on getting an IRO SYE kit in a couple weeks when another check comes from the army so that should fix both ends right?

Thanks though guys!
Unread 06-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #38
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So i got the front flares cut out, painted and screwed the front flares on. Here's a couple pics I took tonight, I'll take some better ones tomorrow once I get the rears done. The reflectors look white but thats just because they are reflecting lol They are actually a smoke color which looks almost matches the paint, its weird and looks great. Hope you enjoy and let me know any suggestions or comments.

Unread 06-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #39
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome, my buddy Josh's paychecks from the marines are about to go into a Camaro, hopefully it'll be half as cool as your XJ.
chainerx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #40
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainerx View Post
Awesome, my buddy Josh's paychecks from the marines are about to go into a Camaro, hopefully it'll be half as cool as your XJ.
Thanks man! Yeah to me fixing up my car and my wifes was kind of a reward for two tours, and I think the same for any soldier.

For the updates.......I just ordered my IRO hack n tap kit with the seal flange last night. I finished the TJ flares on the driver side and finished the painting on the driver side. The passenger front flare is done so I am trying to finish the rear today. I also cut the rear quarter panel piece behind the tire too, this XJ is really coming along now!

My father in-law and I were talking and I found out that he can get free scrap steel from his work so I had him cut me a peice of 5"x2" tubing with a 3/16" wall for the front bumper and a 64" peice for the rear bumper. Today I think I'm going to measure some mounts for the rear and some side tubes for the rear bumper as well, sorta like AJ's Tanker Rear Bumper.
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #41
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here's some quick shots of the driver side after it being all done. And for all you inspectors out there haha those are runs in the paint, it just rained last night. haha But you can obviously see where I ground off the pin striping with a course wire wheel. I didnt think it was going to stand out that much but in all reality it will be getting scratches soon anyways. lol

And i think it looks kind of goofy with the 30x9.5 BFG's on there now that I have the TJ flares but I did them because I plan on running larger tires very soon. And didn't want to deal with it then. Hope u enjoy, plus any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Unread 06-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #42
justanotherjpr

Looking good, but looking closer at your picures I do see a problem. The lynch pins holding your sway bar links to the axle are backwards. Turn them around so the offset part of the pin is outside. This helps keep them from falling out. I have lost several and keep a few from a tractor supply store in my Jeep, just in case.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #43
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Looking good, but looking closer at your picures I do see a problem. The lynch pins holding your sway bar links to the axle are backwards. Turn them around so the offset part of the pin is outside. This helps keep them from falling out. I have lost several and keep a few from a tractor supply store in my Jeep, just in case.
Thats funny you mention that! My buddy did the driver side sway bar install and I did the passenger so after he left I went over and double checked it all and noticed that as well. Thanks for the info about where to get those though and having the spares, good idea!
Unread 06-24-2009, 12:34 AM   #44
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like theres not that many people interested in my build lol but thats ok haha Today I finished all the fender flares and finished painting it all, including the inner door for future chances if removing my doors.

I also got some measurements to give to my father-in-law for the rear bumper parts. And my IRO HnT kit came in today but it didn't come with the seal so I guess Im waiting for another package.
Unread 06-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #45
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Well I've been having a problem with the HnT kit that I am installing but with some of your help and some xtra parts coming from Iron Rock Offroad it should be good soon. Here are the details on the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.