Build from Iraq, any suggestions? - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Build from Iraq, any suggestions?

Free Flowmaster Gear from Black Friday to Cyber Monday!!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueCorbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!

Unread 10-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #376
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So after getting some help from TJWalker, I decided to order a new distributor for $48.79. A new CMP sensor was $41? From what he said, and what I read on the ol' interweb it sounds like the closest to what I'm experiencing. Plus, I don't think having a new distributor could be a bad thing. I have to also admit that I have definitely brainwashed my gf enough to where she actually thinks getting new parts is better than used! And she thinks spending more money for upgraded parts is worth it!! lol

Anyways, here are some pics over the last few days (56k users beware! BWAHHAHAHAA). I know nothing is cool about wiring pics BUT it was a very tedious job cleaning all of that crap up AND it's my build thread!

nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #377
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpalmer32 View Post
As you can see the split loom running down the A-Pillar but it is actually pretty hidden overall. I'm pretty happy with the mounting of it and I have no worries of it leaking. It rained last night and no leaks again.
Looks nice.
I notice you have no headliner, and it looks like you either painted ...or bed-lined the inside of the roof?

-- How do you stop the condensation? -
I realize you're in a little warmer climate but it does get humid, right?

I've had my headliner out for a few years (chasing a leak...) and it gets horribly wet - dripping sometimes (cool moist climate)
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #378
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post

Looks nice.
I notice you have no headliner, and it looks like you either painted ...or bed-lined the inside of the roof?

-- How do you stop the condensation? -
I realize you're in a little warmer climate but it does get humid, right?

I've had my headliner out for a few years (chasing a leak...) and it gets horribly wet - dripping sometimes (cool moist climate)
Ya the only time I really get any moisture on the ceiling is when its really cold. I haven't been able to really drive it since I bedlined to roof, I was hoping that might help......but I guess we'll see. And I have one of those mystery leaks too haha, I think mine is coming from the roof rack rails.
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #379
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Today I prepped the area around the distributor by cleaning it up, and purchased the new distr. mounting gasket.

I also picked up an InterDynamics big coolant reservoir kit. The bottle I had before looked horrible and wasn't even mounted lol So I mounted the bottle holder thingy on the upper passenger side of the firewall. I'll get pics tomorrow
Unread 10-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #380
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I ended up replacing, and indexing (which I verified a few times), the new distributor and it seems to be just cranking over, but not igniting. I need to get a fuel pressure gauge, but I did press the gas pressure release valve and there was definitely pressure. haha The fuel had enough pressure to shoot the side of the filter box, and you can smell the gas in the chambers.

Here are a few pics from the last few days

Unread 10-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #381
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Also I was wondering if someone would have ANY ideas what this sound is? This is from my '99 Durango 318 Magnum w/ an auto trans. I was originally told that the timing chain was loose, so I purchased a new CompCams Magnum double roller double chain timing kit and installed that this last weekend. Once I installed it, the loose chain sound was gone, but there is still a clank sound. It seems to be coming from the oil pan area, possibly the flywheel area? I still have the same amount of power, and it shifts just fine......just sounds horrible.

For some reason I can't get the YouTube embedding to work so here is a link if you could please check it out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45da7xLoBDE
Unread 11-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #382
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrpalmer32 View Post
Ya the only time I really get any moisture on the ceiling is when its really cold. I haven't been able to really drive it since I bedlined to roof, I was hoping that might help......but I guess we'll see. And I have one of those mystery leaks too haha, I think mine is coming from the roof rack rails.
Yeah, I thought that too - roof rack - took my rack off and put the screws back it to keep water out of the holes ... AND used marine sealant, with washer and stainless nut on the inside where the nut-serts had failed.... uhg

So you DID bed line it? what did you use? I have a Gal of Herculiner, been thinking about rolling some of that al least on the center 1/3rd of ceiling ( I have insulated windshield reflector on the front 1/3rd, and 1/4" foam over space-blanket in the rear wit Aluminum foil glued directly to the rear frame piece and area around rear overhead lamp, then space-blanket-plastic, then 1/4" foam) center section has strips on space blanket (reflective plastic) already glued to sections between the bumps or 'ribs'?... don't know if they need to come off.
Do you have pics of ceiling bed liner here? How difficult was it? (dripping, cross bars, etc)?
p1050245-nut-washer.jpg

p1050250-nut-washer1.jpg

Last edited by RacerX; 11-03-2013 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: more info
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #383
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

That's a good idea on the marine sealant! I was planning on using a combination of large flat washers, large flats rubber washers, and probably a nylock nut.

I actually used Duplicolor undercarriage spray stuff. If I were to do it again I would use Duplicolor Bed Armor and roll it on.

To apply it, I actually closed all the doors and opened the hatch. Then using painters masking plastic tarp things, I taped off every thing but the ceiling. Then sanded, cleaned and sprayed it on. The problem is that the fumes are EXTREMELY bad when doing that because there is NO ventilation, unless u hook up a fan yo blow from the inside out the back hatch. So it took a while. But like I said if I did it again I would do it all the same but use the roll-on Bed Armor
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #384
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

She's alive!!! I found out that the crank position sensor had grounded out on the back side of the header! I ended up cutting, and soldering it back together.

I also ended up installing a brand new distributor because the cam position sensor went bad. Which I'm sure can't be bad since I do have right around 300k miles. Haha

During her downtime I replaced almost every 194/168, 1157, 1156 bulb with LEDs. OH and I removed the 2 speaker bars since I removed my normal in-dash stereo. So I wanted to get 2 new dome lights. I went onto eBay and purchased 2 RV style dome lights. What a difference, they are so friggin' bright, I recommend everyone ditch there stock dome lights lol. I actually disassembled them and painted them O D. green to match. Dang, I'm gonna have to take some pics lol

So now all I should need is an alignment since I haven't had one done since the LA and steering install!
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:50 AM   #385
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here are a few pics from the last few weeks.

Unread 11-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #386
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Oh man!! It feels crazy getting to drive her, its been a while. So I got an alignment done and have been driving since. They said I was pretty close with my garage/tape alignment. Lol IIRC the most I was off was about 2.5°. He also did a "once over" of the suspension, and steering, and said everything looked great!

Everything works great! I am going to have to regear for sure, but its actually not that bad. But I couldn't imagine it without any of the perf. upgrades I've done.

Now that I have my trans temp gauge I notice that the temp is usually around 150°, and will rise above 185° while going up hills. Does that seem normal?

No wheeling yet though, sorry guys lol I have to cross Mt. Hood tomorrow for Turkey Day, so that is going to be my test before she gets real dirty.
Unread 12-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #387
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Alright so now that I put a few hundred miles on crossing the cascades twice, I have found a few things that need some attention. First of all though.....the suspension and tires ride extremely nice, and very smooth. Each way about 4 hours and the ride was smooth the whole way. Those DT8000 shocks are really nice! The ride is not bouncy, or rigid, at all.....they handle the ride nicely.

The first thing I need to address is the braking, mainly the front pad selection. If you've read my build you would know that I pretty much rebuilt the brakes, but I installed some pads that don't work that we'll. IIRC they are supposed to be a high quality pad for cops and ambulances and stuff. Well.......they suck with 33" tires and a loaded XJ that weighed 4725 lbs. They give NO confidence in braking, and don't seem to grab like any of my other vehicles under the same load. So I am going to purchase some Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. Since my rotors are still pretty much brand new, I'm going to keep those.

The other thing I need to address is the dang sunroof seals. Lol I don't need to explain anymore on that. Lol

But overall I was very impressed with the overall ride and can't wait to take it off-road! Oh yeah.....and I got 20.3 mpg on the way over to my Dad's house. I double check the mileage with a GPS! Lol
Unread 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #388
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

So I ordered the new Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads (part #0203.20), and they came with free 2-day shipping. So they are expected to be here by Wednesday! I found them for about $46 on Amazon.com, which is about the price of the best options (ceramic or semi-metallic) they had at RockAuto.com. I'm pretty excited to try them out since they have great reviews. According to Peformance Friction they should be pretty good. Here is quote from them:
Quote:
· Carbon Metallic delivers more stopping power than any other brake pad.
· Multi-layer Technology reduces noise by absorbing specific ranges of sound frequencies.
· Less fade, less wear and less noise when tested against leading competitors.
· Unique friction material outperforms ceramic and semi-metallic pads in noise and vibration tests.
· Meets all environmental standards - including newly passed copper limitations.
· Consistent pedal feel stop after stop - No mushy pedal, No fade.
I also had to do a temp fix on the leaky sunroof seals, so I did typical redneck style and used some good ol' black duct tape! Once it starts to dry outside I am going to purchase two new seals for the sunroof, so don't worry about the "if you can't duct it.....@uck it" mentality. Haha
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #389
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What, how did you do dual sunroofs?
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #390
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I got the two of them from two different XJ's at the local JY. Then made a template around the sunroofs on the roof where I wanted them. Then cut the holes. I think I talked about it earlier in my build thread, with pics too.

Today I installed the new carbon metallic pads! I will b trying them out tonight, so I'll update how they are later. They definitely look a lot better and are chamfered too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.