build help....plz post your opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > build help....plz post your opinions

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
michael6

build help....plz post your opinions

So I have a sweet 93 xj 4.0l ho 4x4 with a new np231 transfer case and a few other mods with about 100k on the engine. I have about 6 grand to spend......so help me spend it..
-I RECENTLY BOUGHT FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, TIRE SWING, AND A ROOF RACK. (MINUS 1 GRAND)
-Im already dead set on the RE 7.5 inch long arm kit with blistein 5150's with 14in. travel.(MINUS 2600) And will prob go with 35's(MINUS 1 GRAND)
-WHAT ELSE SHOULD i DO...I.E READEND SWAP... FRONT END UPGRADE..ARMOR...HELP
-I THINK IM GONNA GO WITH 4.88 GEARS BUT I THINK IT WOULD BE WISE NOT TO LOCK THE READ END TILL IT BREAKS THEN UPGRADE IT WITH LIKE A D44 OR A FORD 8.8, THEN LOCK AND GEAR.
-THE FRONT JUST UPGRADE AND PUT AN AUSSIE LOCKER ON IT. WITH GEARS ON STANDBY TILL THE REAR BREAKS.

I PLAN ON ABUSING THE CRAP OUT OF THIS VEHICLE, SO WHAT COULD I ADD TO MAKE MY RIG MORE RELIABLE.

THE LIFT AND SHOCKS HAVE NOT BEEN PURCHASED YET SO ANYONES INPUT ON ANYTHING WILL BE APPRECIATED, AS I AM NEW TO THE BUILDING PART, BUT ALWAYS LOVED 4WHEELIN

michael6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

TURN OFF CAPS LOCK BRO.

Jk, but really.

Are you planning on going 4.88, in the rear only? Then no 4wd for you.

And you do NOT need 7.5 inches to fit 35's. It has been done on 3.5.

Trim and bump stop man.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
100dollarbill

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Armor, armor and some more armor. Maybe sway bar discos. What rear do you have? The 8.25 will hold up better then the 35.
BTW if you run out of ideas and still have some cash, I still have a few mods I need to do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
P.S. please stop bringing up the CAI, Those Government Guys make me nervous!!!

'93 XJ 4 1/2" lift on 33's
'08 JK Unlimited Detonator Yellow DD
'11 Liberty Sport (the wife's)
100dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Be sure to budget for the SYE/cv driveshaft for the rear, and 5.5 or 6.5" of lift would be plenty for 35's. You will have to trim the fenders for 35's even with 10" of lift. I would look for a 97-up 8.25 rear end, or a dana 44 from an XJ if you can find one. If you have the 8.25 rear end now, it is 27 splined, versus the 97-up being 29 splined and a lot stronger. If you have the dana 35 good luck with 35's, it can be done but you better be gentle. Also plan to upgrade the steering and brakes as well. IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: XJ 6.5" Critical Path Long Arm Lift Kit This kit is a lot cheaper than the RE kit, but is great quality. That would leave some cash for the SYE/steering upgrades.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
natetuff
2001 XJ Cherokee 

your gonna need an sye, rear drive shaft, new trackbar, and some steering upgrades as well

edith i was sniped by xjfever
natetuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I would think that going that High you'll spend a LOT of money on trying to make it drive straight and true down the road.

Is this going to be used on the Highway at all?
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

RE HD 5.5 with longarm upgrade
sye
trim
steering upgrade
armor and recovery(hopefully you get frame tie-ins with those bumpers ur gettingif you're gonna use them for recovery)
trimmed fenders if ur runnin 35s. maybe get bushwackers if u want flares
front and rear gears for the 35's, and maybe lockers.
beefed up axle shafts
o and lots of stickers. that list right there is at least 3 grand. if u have a grand and change left over, my suggestion would be a GOLEN 4.6 stroker

good luck

my build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...thread-634491/
T4STE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
michael6

fasho!!

i plan on going 4.88 when my dana 35 breaks, then locking the rear, but locking the front now... and for the re7.5 inch kit... im getting a free tom woods shaft and s.y.e...its a sweet deal..for only 2100 minus shipping.. but keep posting some more ideas, and the kit also come with sway bar dis, and track bar...
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
michael6

more

and my bumpers will bolt into the frame.. no cheap stuff... also should i get shock relocation brackets to keep them out of the way of rocks... im gonna rock bushwacker fenders.. im wondering how hard the rear disc conversion will be when i go with a97 and up ford expo rear end?... you think i should go with an electric fan and fix my a/c or not worry about those little things?
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, when do you plan to break this axle?

On the trail? On the street?

And still, too much lift for 35's.

Where do you live man?
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
michael6

more

and my bumpers will bolt into the frame.. no cheap stuff... also should i get shock relocation brackets to keep them out of the way of rocks... im gonna rock bushwacker fenders.. im wondering how hard the rear disc conversion will be when i go with a97 and up ford expo rear end?... you think i should go with an electric fan and fix my a/c or not worry about those little things?

is there a kit that one would recommend to upgrade my stering components... and front brakes, thats easy and not too pricey
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
michael6

shooooaw!!!

I live in cali, and this will barley be driven on a road sept to pismo beach to jump the poop out of it, or up to tahoe for some rock crushing.... i think im just gonna get a trailer.

YOU THINK I NEED BIGGER TIRES FOR A 7.5 INCH LIFT?? THAT SHOULD LET ME FLEX ALL THE WAY

``` any choices on a good winch... warns are too pricey!!
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Swapping for a 95-up brakebooster/master cylinder will give you a lot better brakes. They are dual diaprham and have a lot more stopping power. Currie currectlink is the top of the line steering upgrade IMO.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #14
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael6 View Post
YOU THINK I NEED BIGGER TIRES FOR A 7.5 INCH LIFT?? THAT SHOULD LET ME FLEX ALL THE WAY
i think everyone is saying that's too much lift for 35s. stick with 4.5-5.5" and trim and bumpstop it. at least try to keep somewhat low of a COG

my build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...thread-634491/
T4STE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Swapping for a 95-up brakebooster/master cylinder will give you a lot better brakes. They are dual diaprham and have a lot more stopping power. Currie currectlink is the top of the line steering upgrade IMO.
The Currie kit is great but I wouldn't run it with 7.5" of lift. Even at 5.5" I kinda think you're pushing it. For that amount of lift you should really be looking at something that improves the angle of the draglink, like doing a WJ knuckle conversion or doing the TeraFlex highsteer kit. Both conversions require some amount of welding and fabrication though.

Ditto on everyone else's posts about the lift height. You'll be a lot better off with the 5.5" kit, regardless of your tire size.

If you're serious about jumping your rig, get GOOD shocks, GOOD bumpstops, and truss your axles. Dunes are a bit more forgiving than hard pack dirt, but I'd still be careful.

If a Warn winch is too spendy for you, check out the ~$300 SmittyBilt winches.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.