The build finally begins... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > The build finally begins...

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
jonesinxj

The build finally begins...

Ok guys, I have been looking thru this forum pretty much every day since I found it and have been drooling over some of the rides that ya'll have done!

Well to start off I bought a 88 XJ last year for a cheap 350 bucks!! Its was very basic, but it came with a 4.0 and a stick! When i was looking at it the guy who owned it stating that it was over heating and his mechanic said it was the head gasket... well i decided to buy it and towed it home, did some of my own mechanic work and found out that it was not overheating at all and the only thing that was wrong with it was the temp sending unit!!! So it is and will be a daily driver and weekend play toy, about the only thing I have done to it has been a 2 in Budget lift and wheels and tires.

Well tonight I scored another great deal! Scored a RE 3.5 super ride kit, with additional upper control arms, Track bar with a hiem joint with the modified mounting bracket and skyjacker shocks which everything is BRAND NEW never installed and the best part, I got a ford 8.8 witha tru trac locker and 3.73 gears along with 3.73 gears with the 3rd member for a dana 30..... and the final price 600!!
I already have a HP non disconnect dana 30 with all new steering with 3.73 gears that Ive been waiting to put in when i got my lift.

Over the next few weeks I will be completing the project (I travel alot for work so not a whole lot of time) I will keep you updated with pictures.

Here is a couple pics of when i first got it to what it looks like now! Also if you have any suggestions or advise Im all ears.

Thanks guys

Just after I first bought it
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...b611c72ee4.jpg
after 2 in BB and rims and tires
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/HPIM0967.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...HPIM0968-1.jpg
and finally the new parts
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/HPIM0977.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/HPIM0978.jpg

Last edited by jonesinxj; 03-02-2009 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Image codes were wrong
jonesinxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #2
lurkeryj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like a pretty sick budget build! keep us updated and make sure to kick the crap out of it after you get done
lurkeryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #3
jonesinxj

So I got started on the tear down tonight!! I ripped the rear axle out and so far I only have the rear springs in. But the good news is Ive decided to go 5.5 with the shackle and spacer that i already have. WHOO HOO!! Figured I might as well go big or go home! I will go and beat on it a little, but for the most part its a airport runner.... Until the carnage begins! haha
Here are a few pics of my progress
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/HPIM0980.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/HPIM0979.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/HPIM0981.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...s/HPIM0983.jpg
Unread 03-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
91xjgawes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesinxj View Post
Ok guys, I have been looking thru this forum pretty much every day since I found it and have been drooling over some of the rides that ya'll have done!

Well to start off I bought a 88 XJ last year for a cheap 350 bucks!! Its was very basic, but it came with a 4.0 and a stick! When i was looking at it the guy who owned it stating that it was over heating and his mechanic said it was the head gasket... well i decided to buy it and towed it home, did some of my own mechanic work and found out that it was not overheating at all and the only thing that was wrong with it was the temp sending unit!!! So it is and will be a daily driver and weekend play toy, about the only thing I have done to it has been a 2 in Budget lift and wheels and tires.

Well tonight I scored another great deal! Scored a RE 3.5 super ride kit, with additional upper control arms, Track bar with a hiem joint with the modified mounting bracket and skyjacker shocks which everything is BRAND NEW never installed and the best part, I got a ford 8.8 witha tru trac locker and 3.73 gears along with 3.73 gears with the 3rd member for a dana 30..... and the final price 600!!
I already have a HP non disconnect dana 30 with all new steering with 3.73 gears that Ive been waiting to put in when i got my lift.

Over the next few weeks I will be completing the project (I travel alot for work so not a whole lot of time) I will keep you updated with pictures.

Here is a couple pics of when i first got it to what it looks like now! Also if you have any suggestions or advise Im all ears.

Thanks guys

Just after I first bought it

after 2 in BB and rims and tires

and finally the new parts

clickless...

looking great

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

1998 zj 5.2- 245/75's moabs
91xjgawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
91xjgawes

Quote:
So I got started on the tear down tonight!! I ripped the rear axle out and so far I only have the rear springs in. But the good news is Ive decided to go 5.5 with the shackle and spacer that i already have. WHOO HOO!! Figured I might as well go big or go home! I will go and beat on it a little, but for the most part its a airport runner.... Until the carnage begins! haha
Here are a few pics of my progress

and again...

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

Unread 03-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

looks like you got a steal

have fun with it!

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
jonesinxj

Ok guys I have a question, I was sitting here talkin to a friend and since I am going up to 5.5 inches of lift, obviously I am worried about my driveline issues. Ive heard of alot of guys now (sammies and yotas) are putting a spacer between the output shaft of the rear axle and spicer adapter? Has anyone heard of this being done on these rigs? And if so did it work? I was thinking of this since I have the 8.8 out back now

Thanks

Last edited by jonesinxj; 03-04-2009 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Unread 03-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #8
jmitywhitey
1988 MJ Comanche 

no it will not work because the transfer case you have has a slip yoke. the samurais have a fixed yoke the spacers are to give you a more usable amount of slip yoke so you dont need a longer drive shaft. you will need at a minimum a transfer case drop and most likely a slip yoke eliminator and a double cardin drive shaft
jmitywhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
T4STE
1996 XJ Cherokee 

you might also want to adrress that trac bar you got. if thats the one for the 3.5 kit, you might need the one for the 5.5 kit to match. lookin good, i like that grey color on the xj

my build
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/9...thread-634491/
T4STE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitywhitey View Post
no it will not work because the transfer case you have has a slip yoke. the samurais have a fixed yoke the spacers are to give you a more usable amount of slip yoke so you dont need a longer drive shaft. you will need at a minimum a transfer case drop and most likely a slip yoke eliminator and a double cardin drive shaft
Nonsense.

I ran 6+" with a 1" T-case drop and about 4 degrees pinion angle for years with the stock driveshaft.

Ate up the top U-joint about once a year but it ran vibe free.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
jonesinxj

(quote)Ok guys I have a question, I was sitting here talkin to a friend and since I am going up to 5.5 inches of lift, obviously I am worried about my driveline issues. Ive heard of alot of guys now (sammies and yotas) are putting a spacer between the output shaft of the rear axle and spicer adapter? Has anyone heard of this being done on these rigs? And if so did it work? I was thinking of this since I have the 8.8 out back now

Thanks
(quote) no it will not work because the transfer case you have has a slip yoke. the samurais have a fixed yoke the spacers are to give you a more usable amount of slip yoke so you dont need a longer drive shaft. you will need at a minimum a transfer case drop and most likely a slip yoke eliminator and a double cardin drive shaft

I think you may have misread my question, yes I know that I have a slip yoke on my transfer case, but with the new 8.8 rear end that i have it does have the fixed yolk, and that is were I was thinkin that I could put the spacer. In my head I can see how it would work, because with the spacer on the fixed yolk on the 8.8 wouldnt it slide the slip yolk back into the transfer case and as long as my pinion angle is right I shouldnt have any binding (in theory) im just wondering if anyone has already done this.

And you are right T4STE I am probably going to have to address the trac bar issue, and if anyone is looking to part with some control arm drop brackets
Unread 03-05-2009, 01:47 AM   #12
jmitywhitey
1988 MJ Comanche 

the length of the drive shaft may not be the problem but more likely the drive line angles. if you were to need the extra length i say go for it and if you get vibes look into a SYE. you may need to get it custom made as i dont think the sami or yota ones will work and make sure you use very good hardware to mount
jmitywhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
jonesinxj

thanks for the reply guys, i will just have to wait and see and run it to see what I am gonna do... as I keep thinking about this I may just run the 3.5 for now until I can afford to get a few much needed extras like, control arm drop brackets and a sye.
Anothere quick update, I am taking the rearend to my buddies tonight and havin him put a nice thick weld around the housing to the tubes so they wont spin. then I will come home, clean everything up and prime around the welds then paint everything.
Unread 03-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
91xjgawes

Quote:
thanks for the reply guys, i will just have to wait and see and run it to see what I am gonna do... as I keep thinking about this I may just run the 3.5 for now until I can afford to get a few much needed extras like, control arm drop brackets and a sye.
Anothere quick update, I am taking the rearend to my buddies tonight and havin him put a nice thick weld around the housing to the tubes so they wont spin. then I will come home, clean everything up and prime around the welds then paint everything.
that is a great idea...

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

Unread 03-07-2009, 01:08 AM   #15
jonesinxj

well tonight was a pretty sucessful night. I removed the 2 in drop shackles and replaced them with the stock ones (temporary) I also tore out the complete front end end suspension and axle.

Tomorrow included removing my oil pan and replacing the rear main, since everything is soo easily accessable right now. Also installing the 8.8, connecting the brake lines and e-brake cables, replacing U-joints, torque everything down in the back.
In the front mounting everything to the frame loosly, grease everything on the new dana 30 non disco, slide it under the jeep and start connecting everything. Today I did pick up YJ front brake lines. We will see how they work. Hopefully I will have everything buttoned up torqued down and road worthy by tomorrow night, then monday morning i can go get a front end alignment. Oh yeah I guess I will have to bleed the brake system too..yippee

Well Im off to get some much needed rest! I will have pics up tomorrow

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.