budget fix sagging leaf springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > budget fix sagging leaf springs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 06-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
kmz453
2001 XJ Cherokee 

budget fix sagging leaf springs

I am sure this has been covered time and again, sorry. I just bought a 2001 XJ I am not interested in lifting the jeep i just am looking for a CHEAP way to take the sag out of the rear leaf springs. Hopefully without having to replace them. Any advise will help. thx

kmz453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
jeepjunkymike
1995 XJ Cherokee 

longer shackles,aal?,,,shackles are prob the cheapest way to go
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
droz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

nothing is really going to take the sag out, AAL will work for a short time and then the issue will be back again, shackles will just make things worse by putting even more pressure on an already weakened spring. I just purchased a 97 XJ recently and have no plans to lift it other then maybe a budget boost. one rear leaf spring was snapped at the shackle side and the other was about 3/4 of the way split, I went with dorman oe replacement springs that came with bushings, got all new bolts and it only cost about $220.
droz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
JeepRide
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Air shocks would be one way to fix your sag.
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRide View Post
I gotta disagree with you here. The suspension should not be "riding" the shocks. Weight should be on the springs.

If ones springs are saggy you could slide an S-10 main leaf with the eyes cut off into the spring pack. Normally it would lift you ~~2" but with already saggy springs maybe only 1" or less.

Requires some junkyard digging but the OP did say budget
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRide View Post
Air shocks are a great and inexpensive way not only to fix your sag, but when you carry more cargo you can adjust them to stay level.
I had a '93 XJ with Gabriel air shocks and an air-lift on board compressor that I could adjust from inside. I hauled my musical equipment around for years and it never let me down. Of course air-shocks are not recommended if you do any moderate offroading.
here's a pic

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'd go with s10 leaves as well. It's a simple, cheap fix and there are tons of s10s in the JY's around here. The one by me they're only $15 a piece.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #8
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

S10 leaf or Dakota or another XJ main leaf is the cheapest and quickest fix. I got a pair of S10's a couple years ago for 40 bucks - a bit steep, but had them the same day I wanted them.

My 1" sag became 2" over stock, throw in a 2" coil spacer and you are ready to stuff 30's or 31's with some trimming. 235's will also still look good with this combo and you won't have to replace shocks or brakelines.

Buy new Ubolts and CenterPins - the ubolt stretches and should not be reused - some people would say even once. Pay the 40 bucks and keep your axle where it belongs.

120 bucks and some labour and you're sitting level and looking good.

The last option I would consider is a lift shackle if your leaf's are already sagged or approaching inverted.
Unread 06-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

X2 on not going with the lift shackle, not only will this put undue stress on already sagged out springs, but you're end result shackle angle will give you a nasty ride.... and speaking of which...prepare for a harder ride when adding a leaf (regardless of where it came from)...it's going to stiffen up your ride quite a bit.
If you dont take any other advice, take this: Cheap is not always the Right way to go....nor is it Ever the best.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.