Budget Builds: What junkyard parts will fit an XJ? - Page 44 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Budget Builds: What junkyard parts will fit an XJ?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 09-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #646
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I've seen stacked blocks get spit out under some severe axle wrap when the rear end starts hopping around violently. Believe me, this is not a pretty sight.
Sounds entertaining.

Unread 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #647
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Sounds entertaining.
It can be.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #648
iowassfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorTim View Post
ZJ rear lower control arms are also good for a lift on an XJ, usually 1-2" longer. no grinding required
How much lift are these good for? Looking at doing a 3" JY lift. Any links to write ups or pics?
iowassfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #649
VicOfAges
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeppelinXJ View Post
1.MJ/2 Door XJ Bucket seats = tilt forward, near bolt in
What does he mean with "near bolt in"? I've got a line on a 1990 2 door seat and I'm curious if the seat will fit in a 4 door 96.
VicOfAges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 09:37 PM   #650
1stbeer
1999 XJ Cherokee 

can you take a new xj rear end w/disc and near bolt it to a 99 xj? need help cause i have two broken leafs and want to do a small lift just want to do it all at once instead of putting er down 2 or 3 times
1stbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 11:28 PM   #651
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicOfAges View Post

What does he mean with "near bolt in"? I've got a line on a 1990 2 door seat and I'm curious if the seat will fit in a 4 door 96.
It won't bolt right in. But you can swap the mounts then it will
Unread 02-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #652
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbeer View Post
can you take a new xj rear end w/disc and near bolt it to a 99 xj? need help cause i have two broken leafs and want to do a small lift just want to do it all at once instead of putting er down 2 or 3 times
No
Unread 02-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #653
Hjkjohn

Jeep XJ back door shocks

Just at the local pick n pull today and got some rear hatch shocks off a 1996 ford explorer. They were the exact same length as my oem shocks. The ends screw off the oem and screw right on to the explorer shocks. Completely bolt in and same exact length on my 1997 jeep XJ. Now I have VERY BEEFY rear hatch shocks that I'm confident will never go out. My hatch pretty much opens itself no haha. No more head balancing I previously read that putting the explorer shocks on my 97 would need slight modification and want to state that they are bolt in on any 97-01 XJ can verify for any earlier years.
Hjkjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #654
VegasGT
Rustler of Jimmies

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure if its been mentioned or not but Ford Ranger shackles fit. They are roughly the same dimensions as JKS 1" lift shackles but way cheaper even new, and plentiful in junkyards. Im running a pair off a 2000 model but many years should be the same.

They work great with relocation brackets.
July 2013 COTM
July 2014 COTM
Build Thread
VegasGT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #655
94purp

Not sure if it was covered but stock explorer/ranger rims backspacing is 4.25 compared to stock xj at 5.25 so an extra inch for clearance for cheap.
94purp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #656
psychone

instrument panel with gauges can be swapped for idiot light panel. for sure 91-96. requires changing out oil sender and temp sender on back of head.
psychone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:14 AM   #657
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure if this is covered, but you can get Dodge 160 amp alternators into an XJ with no more grinding than required for the ZJ 136amp. You should (but don't need to) swap the pulley from your XJ alt onto the dodge one. You want the one off of the dodge 5.9L V8. I got mine for my 01 from a 2003 Durango in a junkyard for 40 bucks.

Edit only certain year models woek with XJ pigtails, but you can make a wide range if you are comfortable with a little wiring work
Unread 08-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #658
Riley/MN
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Not sure if this is covered, but you can get Dodge 160 amp alternators into an XJ with no more grinding than required for the ZJ 136amp. You should (but don't need to) swap the pulley from your XJ alt onto the dodge one. You want the one off of the dodge 5.9L V8. I got mine for my 01 from a 2003 Durango in a junkyard for 40 bucks.

Edit only certain year models woek with XJ pigtails, but you can make a wide range if you are comfortable with a little wiring work
I did a search on car-part.com and they only list a 136 amp in the dakota. I wonder if the 160 was a special package or something?
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
Riley/MN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #659
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley/MN View Post

I did a search on car-part.com and they only list a 136 amp in the dakota. I wonder if the 160 was a special package or something?
Durango, not Dakota. It has to be a 5.9 Durango, although maybe a couple others came with the 160amp, I've never been able to confirm.
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #660
Riley/MN
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ah - Gotcha...
http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com
Riley/MN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.