Budget Builds: What junkyard parts will fit an XJ? - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Budget Builds: What junkyard parts will fit an XJ?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-03-2009, 05:37 AM   #151
magnumcherokee
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I see you can use JK shocks with a slight mod for 3-4" of lift , what is "slight Mod" ? Also I am concidering using the WJ front lower control arms, What grinding is needed? Is it grinding the bushing collars to fit in the brackets or the arms themselves for clearance on the axle brackets? THANKS!!

Again this is an awesome thread!!!!

Unread 12-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #152
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I used '93 Blazer leaf springs by cutting the eyes off the pack, taking out the spring with the alignment brackets on the ends and putting the whole thing with the thin metal spacers under my Jeep mainspring. I got 5" of lift total - 4" of lift over stock.

It did cause my axle to pitch forward a few degrees - I would suggest getting shims if anyone tries this again. I think I will be.
Unread 12-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #153
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

^^ 4x2 or 4x4 Blazer? Or does it matter? And how does that ride as far as stiffness?
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #154
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
I used '93 Blazer leaf springs by cutting the eyes off the pack, taking out the spring with the alignment brackets on the ends and putting the whole thing with the thin metal spacers under my Jeep mainspring. I got 5" of lift total - 4" of lift over stock.

It did cause my axle to pitch forward a few degrees - I would suggest getting shims if anyone tries this again. I think I will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan318 View Post
^^ 4x2 or 4x4 Blazer? Or does it matter? And how does that ride as far as stiffness?
This has been covered many times using the S10 pickup 'bastard pack'
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #155
GunnerT23
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I dont think anyone has covered these, Ut oveahead consoles and wodgrain center trim pices. they usually let those go pretty cheap and they are simple to install.
ya get a second trip computer
out side temp
nsew direction
DTE
current MPG
average MPG
better inside lighting
and extra storage

you need the console, wire harness, bracket that is poprivited, and temp sensor that goes behind the frnt bumper
GunnerT23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #156
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan318 View Post
I like the ride. It's a little stiff but it really holds up well when cornering, especially without my sway bar.

I didn't think it was a 4x4 but I didn't investigate very close, I will next time I'm at the JY.

As for the guy who says this has already been covered I have not seen any mention of Blazer springs by anyone. Maybe the S-10 and the Blazer have the same exact springs? It would seem weird to me since one is a truck and the other is an SUV.

This thread is about what works from JY. Yeah S-10 springs work, now I'm saying Blazer ones do too.
Unread 12-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #157
oderalxjlaredo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think they're based on the same platform, a la cherokee and comanche.
oderalxjlaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #158
RedZeppelinXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oderalxjlaredo View Post
I think they're based on the same platform, a la cherokee and comanche.
i think you are right but that doesnt mean they have the same rear spings, MJ's have spring under axle leafs that are longer than the XJ spring over axle leafs, but then again they may be the same, i'm not a chevy guy so idk, we got fords and jeeps around my place.

i will add the blazer leafs to the list thanks guys!
'91 XJ Briarwood - The Spruce Moose (Parting Out)
'79 J10 - Spartacus (Parting Out)
RedZeppelinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #159
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

the s10 and the blazer use the same frame. Whereas the Comanche and Cherokee don't. from the cab back the Comanche is totally different than the Cherokee, hence the differences.

And everytime I ever read a bastard pack people usually write s10/blazer springs.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #160
RedZeppelinXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i just checked it out he used full size blazer springs, not S10 blazer springs, i'm surprised they actually worked
Unread 12-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #161
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZeppelinXJ View Post
i just checked it out he used full size blazer springs, not S10 blazer springs, i'm surprised they actually worked
any 2.5" wide leafspring will work after you cut them... But some just would lift it more/be stiffer than others.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #162
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
It was a full size Blazer, yes.

I didn't know they made an S-10 Blazer....now I can see why you said it was redundant.
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #163
RedZeppelinXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

its all good dude thats for the tip i never would have thought the full size springs would work....i wonder if they are any stiffer than the S10 Blazer springs
Unread 12-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #164
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
its all good dude thats for the tip i never would have thought the full size springs would work....i wonder if they are any stiffer than the S10 Blazer springs
I wish I had a way to gauge it better.

I really like stability and I have a heavy foot often enough that soft springs just don't work for me. I've seen a little improvement in MPG I think - but I've still got another 1/2 a tank to go before I know.

The only "4x4ing" I've done with it is some light mud/hill stuff in my work's back lot. I hope I don't get a ticket but me and the store manager's kid just love burning doughnuts! I've found the wheels keep better contact with the ground and it has less body roll. I lose a little traction from the lack of flex sometimes but overall I've gained traction.

I've considered throwing 300-400lb of sandbags in the back to really break the springs in...and I need to shim to get the angle right. Thankfully I can be lazy since I have a long collar supporting my driveshaft!
Unread 12-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #165
natertots
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcherokee View Post
I see you can use JK shocks with a slight mod for 3-4" of lift , what is "slight Mod" ? Also I am concidering using the WJ front lower control arms, What grinding is needed? Is it grinding the bushing collars to fit in the brackets or the arms themselves for clearance on the axle brackets? THANKS!!

Again this is an awesome thread!!!!
Here ya go! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/i...ite-up-603221/
i wave at dog walkers and pink vw bugs and michelle pfeiffer look-a-likes and folks dressed like harry potter and two person bikes and pissed off squirrels and butterflys and day lilies and jump ropers and hobos with shotguns but there is no way in hell i will wave at a liberty. that's just gay.
natertots is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.