Brought home 2001 Cherokee/I need a stereo & other fix advise on these issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brought home 2001 Cherokee/I need a stereo & other fix advise on these issues?

Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier & Adjustable Spare Tire FREE, FREE, FREE EVENT!! Save big on Lockers now till Apri2007-2016 Jeep JKU 4" X-series suspension lift **dea

Unread 12-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
RUMBLON
1976 DJ 

Brought home 2001 Cherokee/I need a stereo & other fix advise on these issues?

OK, So yesterday I purchased a 2001 Green cherokee for local driving, fishing ect and just to plain quit driving two expensive diesel dodges all the time. Plus if it REALLY SNOWS then can go anywhere.

So Im driving it home and turn on the stereo. out of the four speakers in the rig, only the right front door speaker works. And since at 54 even I dont have cassette tapes, today I ordered a decent sony unit and four speakers from crutchfield and its already in route.

Since I have never taken the plastic parts off of a cherokee before and I dont want broken plastic tabs I am looking for a link to removing and installing a stereo. I see plenty on youtube for the grand cherokee which seems different than mine.

My parts will be here in three days so Im trying to school myself. any suggestions.

Also I lifted up the rear trunk latch and my gas charged springs dont hold up my lift gate so I ordered a set of US made ones off of ebay.

and last and least, my auto door locks do not work. I can probably do without but im guessing some sort of actuator issue? If I decide to spend the coin on the parts, which one is reliable? and any links one where this part is and how hard to replace it.

I am also considering maybe a 2 inch lift down the road and slightly bigger tires but for now this will work.

Its great be apart of the jeep crowd and since I am a mopar purist, it was easy to do.

RUMBLON

RUMBLON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the plastic trim around the stereo just pulls straight off. grab the edges with your finger tips and pull out slowly and it will pop off. my son's 98 is the new style, like yours, and he had to do his stereo recently, also.

for the door related things, i would check the wiring where the bundle goes through the rubber tube from the door to the tub. on our 98, we have similar issues and it has been broken wires at the bend points, so far for everything related to electrical.

2" lift can be done super duper cheap using just poly spacers and some longer shackles on the back. can be had for 30 from ebay for the spacers and 40 for shackles form the local parts place

i just happened to find a 2" spacer lift on one junkyard cherokee and a 3" spring lift on another this past sunday at the junkyard so if you are bored, check there to really save money. the 3" lift springs were 30 bucks from the junkyard
Unread 12-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Spend $7.95 for genuine Jeep Service Manual at www.PacificCoastManuals.com. Everything you describe is a common XJ Cherokee problem with a simple solution that has been discussed here. The JeepForum search kinda stinks, use the Google, and restrict the search result to JeepForum by following your search terms with site:JeepForum.com

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Alright. So first stereo:
Hit the e-brake and shift the transmission to netural to clear it. Then, pull firmly on the bottom two corners of the center dash bezel on either side of the center console. It all pops off as one piece from around the stereo and hvac controls. Then there's just a couple hex-head screws holding in the stereo. Pull it out, and unplug the two plugs at the back. You can get a wiring adapter and a mounting adapter either online or from wal-mart/best buy/whatever that will attach to your new sony and let you just plug in to the factory wiring harness, tighten those two screws back up and then pop the bezel back on. Simplest radio I've ever done.

Now as to your door locks:

It's VERY common in XJ's for the wiring in the driver's door to become damaged due to flexing. It's the part that passes through the little tube from the body to the door that gets bent over and over and over and often either the wires break, or the insulation cracks and shorts start up. The driver's door is used most, so it tends to happen there first. Bad door wiring can cause dead speakers, intermittent or total loss of control over power locks/windows or other odd behavior. So I'd say you want to pop off your door panel and inspect your wiring at your switches and through the door/body connection.

The door panels aren't hard either. There's a screw at the top forward corner, one in the pocket for the handle, and three in the pull handle for closing the door. Then you just run around the sides and bottom looking for the parts where it's held down. Pull slowly but firmly, or pry slowly but firmly next to those. It's just a teardrop shaped plastic connector that pops into the sheet metal of the door. There's a bunch of them. When they're all loose you'll be able to pull the panel up and off of the door and reach the wiring and linkages for the locks/windows to inspect/unplug/whatever.
Unread 12-10-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
RUMBLON
1976 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Alright. So first stereo:
Hit the e-brake and shift the transmission to netural to clear it. Then, pull firmly on the bottom two corners of the center dash bezel on either side of the center console. It all pops off as one piece from around the stereo and hvac controls. Then there's just a couple hex-head screws holding in the stereo. Pull it out, and unplug the two plugs at the back. You can get a wiring adapter and a mounting adapter either online or from wal-mart/best buy/whatever that will attach to your new sony and let you just plug in to the factory wiring harness, tighten those two screws back up and then pop the bezel back on. Simplest radio I've ever done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_4WtgOsfs

Now as to your door locks:

It's VERY common in XJ's for the wiring in the driver's door to become damaged due to flexing. It's the part that passes through the little tube from the body to the door that gets bent over and over and over and often either the wires break, or the insulation cracks and shorts start up. The driver's door is used most, so it tends to happen there first. Bad door wiring can cause dead speakers, intermittent or total loss of control over power locks/windows or other odd behavior. So I'd say you want to pop off your door panel and inspect your wiring at your switches and through the door/body connection.

The door panels aren't hard either. There's a screw at the top forward corner, one in the pocket for the handle, and three in the pull handle for closing the door. Then you just run around the sides and bottom looking for the parts where it's held down. Pull slowly but firmly, or pry slowly but firmly next to those. It's just a teardrop shaped plastic connector that pops into the sheet metal of the door. There's a bunch of them. When they're all loose you'll be able to pull the panel up and off of the door and reach the wiring and linkages for the locks/windows to inspect/unplug/whatever.
Thanks. And the only working speaker I have is the pass side front, the other three are dead, so the door wire issue sound like a good bet.

RUMBLON
RUMBLON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #6
rcoe
2012 JK Wrangler 

For the power door locks if all the wiring and fuses are good look to the pass. side switch as it is the control switch. My locks would work off and on seemingly with a mind of their own, replaced the pass switch assy have not had a problem since.
rcoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.