Broken Oil Fill Cap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Broken Oil Fill Cap?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
UNHCLL

Broken Oil Fill Cap?

Has anyone ever had the Oil Fill cap break?
I have a '99 4.0L.

I was in the middle of doing an oil change on Friday, only to discover the oil cap won't come off. It feels like the inner "barbs" are broken/stripped so it won't lock when trying to turn it counter-clockwise for removal. It feels normal when turning clockwise.

I anticipate it will necessitate the removal of the valve cover now to get the cap out, without leaving parts inside the valvetrain?

Filling the engine with oil again through the dipstick tube was a slow and tedious process.

Thanks,
Chris

UNHCLL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
justanotherjpr

I have had this happen once on my wife's 2002 4.0L WJ. I'm a keyboard commando for a living, but not especially weak and I could not get this thing off with my hands.

I took a screwdriver and a hammer and gently knocked the handle counter clockwise (like I was backing it out) and the cap came free. It ended up breaking in two pieces, (the upper part that has the handle, and the inner part that screws into the cover) but the inner piece screwed out with my fingers. I just snapped the handle back in and re-installed it on my XJ, and put the one from my XJ on hers.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That happened on both of my XJs! Just turn the cap until the top part comes of, then you can use an adjustable wrench to turn it and remove the bottom part.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
TDTech
2000 XJ Cherokee 

it happens all the time on the 4.0's. Bad design I guess. A new cap from the dealer is like 6-7 bucks.
TDTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Spencer43783
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah it's a junk 2 piece design. All of the 4.0Ls oil caps do that. The plastic on the insides get worn out and it gets stuck in there. They should have made it a 1 piece design instead of attempting the ratcheting 2 piece crap. Just pop the top of the cap off with a pair of pliers then get a big pair of pliers and grab the bottom portion of the cap and twist it off. You can snap it back together and put it back on or replace it. I grabbed one when I was at the JY so I could have a spare when mine started doing that.
Unread 11-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
UNHCLL

Thanks for the input and resolutions!
I didn't want to just start smashing on it at 6pm on Friday night.
I'll order a new cap from WorldPac tomorrow.

Thanks again!
UNHCLL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Funny thing...mine just did this yesterday too? I sadly had just drained out all the oil, and popped up top to pull off the cap. All it did was freewheel... couldn't tighten or loosen. FAIL

I popped the top half of the cap off with a wide flat blade screwdriver and the inside of the top was shredded. Not sure how this happened as you cant over-tighten these, but it did. Bad design I guess? I used some channel locks to get the bottom half out, finished my oil change and went to the store this morning to get a replacement.

SO lame...I have never had this happen on any vehicle.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

This happened once to mine but I was able to get it off. What you do is take the palm of your hand and press downward as hard as you possibly can on it while trying to turn it. Worked for me.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
This happened once to mine but I was able to get it off. What you do is take the palm of your hand and press downward as hard as you possibly can on it while trying to turn it. Worked for me.
Tried that, once I got the top half off the ratchet (gears) on the inside were all mangled. It was a dead thing.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Happened to mine, I went and grabbed one from a JY...all 4.0L caps will work haha

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
leadnbrass

I'm on my third on (I think) the top always separates (strips) from the bottom.

I gave up and just open it with a pair of channel locks now.
leadnbrass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
3vze28
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i just remember from now on not to go insanely tight with my oil cap, cause mine does it too.
3vze28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just use the bottom half and hand tighten it with a rubber palm glove on.

The first time it broke, after swearing a bit, I used a pair of vice grips to grab the lip and turn it open.

Until the other 30 things I need to do to my heap get done - some needed, some wanted - I will save that 5-10 bucks for something else.
Unread 11-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #14
mikethefisher
1996 XJ Cherokee 

pipe wrench works to get it off. be sure not to make it too tight or youll crack the plastic
mikethefisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #15
shaman1204
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadnbrass View Post
I'm on my third on (I think) the top always separates (strips) from the bottom.

I gave up and just open it with a pair of channel locks now.
X2. Has happened to me thrice in two months of ownership. Granted the last one was a cheapo from autozone. Channel locks work great.
shaman1204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.