Breaking issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Breaking issues

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Decimals

Breaking issues

Hey guys so im having some issues with my breaks ... Non abs

The issue: the break pedal is incredibly soft and i have to press to the floor board to enact breaks i am not leaking break fluid that i know of

Any have any clue

1989 jeep xj front axel dana 30 rear dana 35 non abs breaks

Unread 02-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a classic case of air in the brake lines. Just bleed the brakes (or better yet, flush the brake fluid if you haven't done it in a few years) and you probably fixed the problem.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Decimals

I havent tried flushing the break fluid yet but ive blead all the breaks about 3 times
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Does the pedal firm up when you bleed the brakes, and if so, how long does it take for the pedal to go soft again?
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
Decimals

No the pedal does not firm up
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Have you checked for master cylinder leakage?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
79blackjack07

I had that issue with my cj just try pumping the brakes it might just not be pumping fluid to your brakes
79blackjack07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Decimals

The issue is when i blead the breaks i get solid streams of fluid coming out so therefore there is fluid going to my brakes
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My bet is that the master cylinder is shot (leaking around the piston). If you have really bled the brakes properly, AND there isn't an obvious fluid leak, I'd really suspect the master cylinder. It could be a problem with one of the calipers, but that would be more unusual, and repeated pumping of the brake pedal would temporarily "fix it" and firm up the pedal - if it doesn't firm up, my money's on the master cylinder. Even with a bad leak on your master cylinder, it'll push plenty of fluid out to your brake calipers for bleeding (since there's no real pressure on the system at that point).

OTOH, if - for example - you had run the brake fluid way down to the point you got lots of air in the lines, AND you somehow didn't get it entirely pushed out during the bleeding process, you could be chasing your tail (and a new master cylinder won't help). Just throwing that out FWIW, since I have no idea of the OP's mechanical aptitude.
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Decimals

Ok so last night i replaced the master cylinder bench clead it and installed... No difference made ... After we were done with that we noticed some break fluid from the driver side caliper ... It appeared as though it was oozing from the caliper bushing every time you depressed the pedal it looked as if the caliper bushing was ripped and old and allowed fluid to leak do you guys think the caliper bushing could be the culprate in my low break pressure... On a side note it does seem like the breaks on the opposite side of my vehicle are much stronger as when i break my vehicle is pulled to the passanger side
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
df05nova
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you see fluid coming from a caliper , that caliper's piston seal is bad. You can get a rebuild kit prom some parts stores, but it is a lot easier to get a reman and bolt it in.
df05nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Decimals

So would you just just go ahead and replace the piston and seal
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
JeepinJeremy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimals View Post
So would you just just go ahead and replace the piston and seal
Buy the time you buy the kit and a small cylinder hone it will have cost more than a replacement caliper. Better replace boths side at the same time though whichever route you go. New pads and turn the rotors as well just start fresh.
JeepinJeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Decimals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeremy View Post

Buy the time you buy the kit and a small cylinder hone it will have cost more than a replacement caliper. Better replace boths side at the same time though whichever route you go. New pads and turn the rotors as well just start fresh.

Yeah do you guys think that leak is the cause of my extremely low break pressure
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

New calipers are like $20 a peice after core charge from autozone.

OP, if you've messes with your calipers before this was happening, or someone did, it is possible that they're installed on the wrong side. The bleeder needs to be on the top.

Something to check. I replaced my front brakes, and had the same symptoms as you.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.