Break squeak. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Break squeak.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
JeEpErWaNaBe

Break squeak.

Jeep Cherokee 2000 Limited

I hope there is a quick easy answer for my question. I just replaced my front pads and rotors for new ones, not the greatest quality (autozone) pads or rotors which may be the reason, but i have smooth rotors and ceramic pads and i get this terrible squeal/squeak when applying pressure to the break when coming to a stop. Any ideas on why this may happen?

Issac

JeEpErWaNaBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sometimes some initial noise is normal. Depends on how long this noise last. Give it a week or so and see if it will go away. Sometimes rotors have films still on them from the factory that need to wear off. Did you clean the rotors good before installing them. A lot of times the rotors also have grease or oil on them from the factory to help prevent them from rusting.
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

when i replace brake pads in any vehicle, i like to accelerate in a big open "LEGAL" area and then brake hard but not to hard to get rid of any oils or anything like that. id say give it a week or two
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

x 2 on that, what he said ^^
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
JeEpErWaNaBe

Ya i tried that already and still have the same squeak. Now i just came back from driving it and i noticed a few more things i should have checked before posting this but maybe now it will help you guys think with a clearer mind.
1) So first ill start with the fact that i did not bleed the breaks after changing them.
2) Next my ABS has not been working for a while before this but i hope thats not causing any of this.
3) I tried slamming on my breaks and only front drivers side wheel locked in and skid.
4) Just realized when i slowly turn to the left there is like this little rumble/grind sound.
5) When driving 70 Mph i slowly pressed the breaks to kinda smooth them out and wear off any excess film not there and then the squeak would stop for a few min but come right back. Also this morning when i got up it was like 9 degrees outside and for the first like ten min or so of driving there was not squeak but then when i thought it was all better it started right up again.

Now i apologize for the confusion i should have stated this all in my first post but i just put this all together now after driving it after letting it sit all day.

Thank you and i appreciate all your help.

Issac
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

maybe one of the backing plates is hitting the rotor? how bout the abutment clips, sometimes they bend while putting the pads back in, they could be hitting the rotor too. If you just changed the rotors and pads, why bleed the brakes?
Unread 02-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #7
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

did you make sure you pressed in the pads all the way?

could be a loose pad.
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
JeEpErWaNaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg55555 View Post
maybe one of the backing plates is hitting the rotor? how bout the abutment clips, sometimes they bend while putting the pads back in, they could be hitting the rotor too. If you just changed the rotors and pads, why bleed the brakes?
The abutment clips that you speak of are they the little tabs that squeak to tell you that the pads are low?? if so my new pads did not come with those. (neither did my old ones have them) . And if those clips are not what i think they are then what are they? Next i feel i need to bleed the breaks since one locked in something is not right and someone mentioned to me that they bleed them on every break repair and change, so i figured i would do the same but forgot. Also gotta check the backing plate i didn't yet.

Issac
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
JeEpErWaNaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
did you make sure you pressed in the pads all the way?

could be a loose pad.
i made sure they were in right but i can double check that, chances are they did not fall out since i made sure they clipped in good.

Issac
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The abutment clips are the "guides" that fit into the caliper bracket. You put the pads into the bracket and these clips keep the pads stable and centered. They bends easily and typically, you should get new ones with the new pads. Dont worry about the squeal tabs, you should check your brakes frequently enough to no have to rely on the tabs to tell you when the pads are low. If you didnt open up the system, theres no need to bleed the brakes, however if theres air in your system for whatever reason, than yea you should. But typically during a basic brake job i.e.pads, rotors, theres no real need to bleed the system.
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
JeEpErWaNaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg55555 View Post
The abutment clips are the "guides" that fit into the caliper bracket. You put the pads into the bracket and these clips keep the pads stable and centered. They bends easily and typically, you should get new ones with the new pads. Dont worry about the squeal tabs, you should check your brakes frequently enough to no have to rely on the tabs to tell you when the pads are low. If you didnt open up the system, theres no need to bleed the brakes, however if theres air in your system for whatever reason, than yea you should. But typically during a basic brake job i.e.pads, rotors, theres no real need to bleed the system.
So what your saying about the clips is this three metal tabs that go into the caliper side, now if those are bent which is very possible then what would that do if they are not perfectly centered in the caliper none the less they are locked into place by knuckle (i think its called) since the bottom has like a two prong fork and the top has one piece sticking out to hold them in place. And you say i get new ones with new pads.. as far as i know the are riveted to the pads and don't come off. maybe the older jeeps they come off but not mine.

I'm convinced air got in the system and I'm not sure how but i feel like it is, therefore i must bleed them. also i think the only reason one wheel is locking in is due to the uneven distribution of fluid in the lines and a mixture of air that is causing this. If I'm wrong please enhance my knowledge.

Yes you are correct about the squeal tabs and i check my breaks frequently enough to know that i would need new breaks. so thats not a problem.

Thanks again,
Issac
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:18 PM   #12
snake99

what type of pads did you use? organic? semi-metallic? ceramic? most likely you have semi-metallic. bad choice for a jeep, or any chrysler for that matter. After being a technician for 10 years, the most common vehicle being complained about for a brake squeal is always a chrysler with cheap pads. this is most likely your issue. not a terrible thing, just an embarrasing one. ceramic pads are the way to go. tho more expensive...the best bang for your buck. however even ceramic pads are known for the ocasional squeal, tho less likely. many autopart stores offer lifetime pads, i would try swaping them and using the credit for a better grade. just my 2 cents
snake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #13
JeEpErWaNaBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake99 View Post
what type of pads did you use? organic? semi-metallic? ceramic? most likely you have semi-metallic. bad choice for a jeep, or any chrysler for that matter. After being a technician for 10 years, the most common vehicle being complained about for a brake squeal is always a chrysler with cheap pads. this is most likely your issue. not a terrible thing, just an embarrasing one. ceramic pads are the way to go. tho more expensive...the best bang for your buck. however even ceramic pads are known for the ocasional squeal, tho less likely. many autopart stores offer lifetime pads, i would try swaping them and using the credit for a better grade. just my 2 cents
Its funny you say that about the lifetime thing and up it a bit and get better. So i did just that i had the lifetime regular semi metallic and then it got all black and i hated them since i have nice rims which turned all black, so i went back and for a few dollars more i got the ceramic ones. And thats the current setup i have and having problems with.

Thanks,
Issac
Unread 02-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #14
xjpilot
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Did you lube up every metal on metal piece when you did your breaks? Alot of times the squeaks will be caused my high frequency vibrations throughout the braking system. I've had the same problem with semi-metallics before, and it didn't stop untill I traded in the pads in, but I got ceramics and they work good for me.

Purple Jeep Club Member # 1
xjpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM   #15
snake99

sorry to hear that i have ceramics on my jeep and the still squeal at slow speeds. but i also have 33X12.50 tires on stock brakes. this doesnt help matters. i have had bad luck with chryslers and brake noises. they just dont seem to go away sometimes. are they the "built to last durolast" pads? I dont want to see you go through so much b.s. but if it's bothering you, then unfortunately you might have to go with another manufacturer. i suppose if i had paid more attention to your initial post i would have noticed you said you had ceramics....my bad. like i said tho, the difference in the manufacturer can mean the difference between squeal and no squeal...been down this road b4 my friend.....

Last edited by snake99; 02-11-2008 at 10:38 PM..
snake99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.