Brakes have no power and will not hold on inclines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brakes have no power and will not hold on inclines

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Brakes have no power and will not hold on inclines

I have been having an issue for a bit now but last time the mechanics had the jeep for a U joint replacement (I was lazy), they drove it around and said brakes felt ok. When I got my inspections this past september, I was told they were close to not stopping quickly enough but passed inspection still.

The issues have made me drive even safer, but I figure brakes and steering are the 2 most important safety features. So I was wondering if you guys could help diagnose possible issues. My brake experience is extremely limited.

Brakes will not lock up unless it is snowy and icy. The back lock up very easily when wet, winter was tricky to say the least when the brakes were even slightly wet. Stomping on the pedal will not lock them up on dry pavement.

POSSIBLE ISSUE: I am wondering if I have a vacuum or some leak. When I am on an incline, I have to keep my pedal pushing in, it will slowly lose power (over 30 seconds) and I step harder. When the pedal hits the floor I have to repump the brakes or hold onto the e-brake so I don't go into traffic.

1988 Renix all. Base model, no ABS.

Thanks in advance

3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
00XJMikey
2000 XJ Cherokee 

A worn out brake booster and bad fluid is what's causing me to have the same problems (not as bad brake fading).

IIRC, summitracing.com sells reman units for around $40 - $50.
00XJMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Elias4WDCenter

Leaky line, brake cylinder or master cylinder.
Worn brakes.

You need to pull your wheels off and inspect your brakes. Also, follow the lines from the master cylinder to each wheel and look for wet spots.

If you cannot determine the condition of your brakes on your own yet, you need some friends that have done it before to help out, or get a professional brake job. Hopefully you can round up some buddies to help out and show you how to do it.

Be safe.
Sales, Service & Installation - Suspension, Accessories, Wheels and Tires, Recovery Gear, Bumpers. WE SET UP AXLES, GEARS and LOCKERS. (And we'll work on your mother-in-law's Honda so you can wrench on your Jeep!) 978-597-8432 Mon - Thurs, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Townsend, MA. Tell us Jeep Forum sent you!
Elias4WDCenter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I looked at my brake fluid, its dark alright but haven't lost a single drop. Looked around and didn't see any leaks.

Could this narrow down the results?
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

can you bleed them or have you done that?
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
XJaySC
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Take it to a trusted shop and have the brakes inspected.

Several things could cause the problem you have but with out putting my hands on it its all just guessing.

If you don't have any experience with brake work I wouldn't suggest bleeding the system.
XJaySC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. I think shop time is where it's, dreadfully, heading.
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
jeepster383

If you're pedal is dropping and there's no visible leaks on the outside I would suspect the master cylinder
jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.