Brake Upgrades - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake Upgrades

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
rosader
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Brake Upgrades

What are my options? I looked in the tech sticky but only found a crown vic disc setup which gives you no way of reconnecting the e-brake. When I upgrade to 35's I want to have good braking. Should I upgrade the front brakes, rear, or both? I don't have a ton of cash to throw at this but I definitely want to keep this a safe DD.

'02 Isuzu Rodeo Sport
3.2L V6 | automatic | hard top | 4x4
rosader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Upgrading the rear brakes on an XJ does fairly little to improve overall braking for two reasons:
1. most rear discs don't do any better than the stock drums brakes, provided the drum brakes are/were functioning as designed.
2. rear brakes only do about 25% of total braking due to weight distribution and weight transfer during forward motion braking.

If you really want to improve your brakes, you gotta focus on the FRONT brakes. It tends to get expensive, and that's why most guys avoid it.....
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I went all out on my brake upgrade. I bought the teraflex rear disc kit, but I also got in on a groupbuy for an Australian 300mm /slotted/ 2pistion front brake kit (I also the rotors cryo treated for longer life).

Here's my thread with some pics
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...t=brake+teaser

and here's a really nice write-up on the kit
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFordBAdiscs1.htm

urban-yan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
XJ_Austria
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Well...always consider, you drive an off road car. With off road tires (MT's) and an off road suspension setup and no Sports Car with high performanceTires and sport suspension. You have 33's MT's which never can bring the braking performance of a sport brake system onto the road. And you do not drive with high speed and break hard for sharp cornering, do you?

So I would not spend alot of money for upgrading to a sport brake system. Okay, it may look better...but else...??
I'd rather got with a set of good quality reinforced brake lines for the front brakes and leave the rear stock. That saves you money and they really do a fine job. I've got Stahlflex onto my XJ and that really brakes very good! Of corse, reinforced brake lines cannot prevent from fading or overheating the discs, but again, I do not think you drive your XJ like a fast Porsche or BMW....
You could put in Dot4 (boiling point 230 degree) or Dot5 (boiling point 260 degree) brake fluid instead of standard Dot3 (boiling point 205 degree).
XJ_Austria is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
rosader
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Damn urban... Can I ask where you got your lights?

As far as the comment of driving like a race car... I want good braking power for safety purposes (not squeeling around corners) I had a close call the other day when somone pulled a left right out in front of me and i had to slam on the brakes. I was not satisfied with the stopping power, and i'm running 31's... imagine what it would be like with 35's. That is why I WILL be upgrading brakes. I just need some direction so your help would be much appreciated.

edit: and I already have a quality set of front and rear extended & reinforced brake lines

'02 Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Unread 12-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
XJdamyankee

Well if you want to buy kits, Teraflex makes a rear conversion and you can still use the E-brake, they sell it at quadratec and Vanco makes a front conversion.
Front
http://www.vancopbs.com/product_p/dkj1000.htm
rear
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...its&c=161&pg=1
OME 2" lift & shocks, RE super-ride control arms
XJdamyankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
rosader
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The Vanco kit looks like a good one. Would this kit work with ORO U-Turn Steering? Maybe I can call them and see.

'02 Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Unread 12-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
rosader
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow! at a second glance i noticed the 300mm kit too... Where did you get that kit urban-yan? I wonder which kit would do better???

'02 Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Unread 12-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #9
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosader
Wow! at a second glance i noticed the 300mm kit too... Where did you get that kit urban-yan? I wonder which kit would do better???
My kit came from Australia, and my buddy Chris (silverXJ on jeepin.com) put together the groupbuy (otherwise, no one would buy these kits because shipping was too high on stand-alone orders)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJdamyankee
Well if you want to buy kits, Teraflex makes a rear conversion and you can still use the E-brake, they sell it at quadratec and Vanco makes a front conversion.
Front
http://www.vancopbs.com/product_p/dkj1000.htm
rear
http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...its&c=161&pg=1
front
That vanco kit looks sweet, but its definitely pricier than mine. I was able to score my 300mm kit for $530+shipping; that also included these extras: slotted rotors, ss brakelines, and powder-coated calipers. I will say, that unlike my kit, this one appears to include the custom knuckles which would make installation much quicker.

rear
www.dc4wd.com is almost $100 cheaper on that teraflex kit. quadratec wants $544. I paid $437shipped to Canada.

I will say one last thing however; Since these kits are expensive, I suggest you cryo treat your rotors to extend their lifespan. It's definitely a good investment. My F+R kits were installed the same day. Whereas my front cryo treat rotors look as good as new, my rear teraflex rotors show signs of age, and the hats are rusted.

Quote:
Damn urban... Can I ask where you got your lights?
The Bi-Xenon projectors came from suvlights.com The ballasts/D1S bulbs came straight out of a Cadillac SRX.

Last edited by urban-yan; 12-05-2007 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: quoted wrong price on my teraflex kit
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:31 PM   #10
rosader
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The teraflex kit is not available for the D44. I will probably just upgrade the fronts.
I found this on ebay, is this a decent price? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

edit: my bad, it's in australia... It looks like the vanco kit wins.

'02 Isuzu Rodeo Sport

Last edited by rosader; 12-05-2007 at 05:48 PM..
Unread 12-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
severous01

the 300mm kit is available on ebay for a high $$$ tag. i'd suggest some good, high quality rotors and some hawk HPS pads. and in the rear, i'd suggest discs. they're easier, self cleaning, you dont have to clean them every time you go mud, and they're easier to replace......not to mention, way less moving parts. plus the zj disc conversion is cheap, easy, and uses factory parts.

for the fronts, i really dont think anything out there is feasibly cheap. you're going to spend a grand on just the fronts...for about 125 bucks, try the stock setup with good parts.....hawks, EBC, or other 'high performance' pads. you'd be surprised what a good set of non-generic pads can do for ya.
Unread 12-06-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
urban-yan
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The teraflex kit is not available for the D44. I will probably just upgrade the fronts.
I found this on ebay, is this a decent price? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

edit: my bad, it's in australia... It looks like the vanco kit wins.
That's the groupbuy kit; we paid $530 (with free powdercoating, and considerably lower shipping)

Second, I know some people modified the teraflex kit to fit a d44, but I can't recall where I read about the retro (I'm sure one of the mods can chime in with more details)
Unread 12-06-2007, 04:44 AM   #13
96JXJ

Quote:
crown vic disc setup which gives you no way of reconnecting the e-brake.
Why can't you hook up the E-brake? Shouldn't be much different than an 8.8 or any other disc swap. You will need longer cables, but that's about it. JIM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.