Brake Shoes and Parking Brake Adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake Shoes and Parking Brake Adjustment

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
mrnvgtr
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Brake Shoes and Parking Brake Adjustment

This is probably a simple question but I had trouble finding a definitive answer using the search function. If my brake shoes "need replacement" and emergency brake "needs adjustment" per my mechanic as quoted on an invoice while it was in for other work, what parts do I actually go pick up from NAPA or other auto parts store? I tried to reach him on the phone but he's too hard to catch in the office.

Based on what I could find here, I think what I'll need is replacement brake shoes and a hardware (springs and cables) replacement kit. Then just remove and replace. That should re-adjust the parking brake cable, while putting it all back together, right? What do you think? I haven't ever worked on drum brakes before, or any brakes for that matter, but the one drum brake r & r write-up I found seemed pretty straight forward.

Thanks for your time.

Unread 09-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
biztyke
2001 XJ Cherokee 

that's pretty much it. but i would get your drums turned, or if they are at their max then get new ones.
biztyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #3
mrnvgtr
1987 XJ Cherokee 

What does it mean to get them turned? How would I know they need to be turned? Sorry for the dumb questions. It's my dd, so I can't just hack in there and hope to figure it out.
Unread 09-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnvgtr View Post
What does it mean to get them turned? How would I know they need to be turned? Sorry for the dumb questions. It's my dd, so I can't just hack in there and hope to figure it out.
As the brakes wear, they create annular grooves (like rings) on the inside of the brake drum. These grooves can affect the wear of the new brake shoes.

The solution is to have the brake drums "turned" so that the inside diameter surface of the drum is restored to a smooth cylindrical surface.

The tool that does this is a "brake drum lathe". Most bigger auto parts shops have one.

A bit of warning---there is a limit as to how much of the inside of the drum that can be cut away safely. It's marked on the drum somewhere. When the drum reaches this dimension, it must be replaced.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

my ebrake wasnt working, what i didnt was replace the adjusters(they were rusted to the pt where they wouldnt move. i put new ones in and did the reverse trick, works perfect now
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Before you install the adjusters, slide them apart, and coat them with permetex anti-sieze.

That is 1 of two places to adjust between the e-brake lever and the shoe/drum, the other is under the body of the Jeep where the cables meet the lever. It's a pain, since you have to vice grip the threaded rod while trying to loosen the nut. You should adjust inside the drum itself first, then re-set the cable where it works properly.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
mrnvgtr
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I've been so busy lately that when Saturday morning came and I couldn't get past removing the drum, my better judgement stepped in and said to just take it to the local brake shop and get it over with before I got in over my head. Many mistakes under my belt, coupled with working two jobs and having a family I care about, have caused me to become much more careful with new projects.

I told them to replace the shoes and use a new hardware kit. I also had them replace both rear drums because they were out of tolerance. A few hours out of my morning and then spent the rest of the day off with my family. I consider that a success.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.