Brake proportioning valve? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake proportioning valve?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Brake proportioning valve?

I have a 98 xj, see profile for all specs, that is having brake issues. It will stop but when it sits for an hour or or two when I hit the brake pedal the rear wheels will lock up, from there it only feels like the rear brakes are catching. I have had this problem for a while now, put new front pads, rotors and calipers on but the problem persists. Does it sound like possibly the proportioning valve? Or could it be something else?

Manche87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do the front brakes work or not ? Are the rear brakes recently rebuilt or not ? Cheap rear brake pads often are touchy until they get warmed up. Replacing cheap parts with good quality brake pads often cures rear brake grabbing.

When did you last last flush and 100% replace the brake fluid ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Front brakes work but only after using the brakes a few times. For example I start my jeep in the morning and the first 3-4 stops come to a screeching halt at the rear wheels. After that I can feel the front brakes grab bit not nearly as strong as the rear. I have not replaced my rear brakes in my time I have owned the jeep (2 years). I have never drained or refilled any brake fluid in the time I've owned it
Unread 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are you sure there is no air in the brake lines, you bled the brakes properly ?

Are you sure the front brakes don't work, or are just assuming they don't work because that what it "feels" like ? If you clamp off the rear soft brake line, you can test the front brake function.

If you are positive that the front brakes don't work, suspect that the front soft brake lines may have broken down and need to be replaced. Also consider that the master cylinder may need to be replaced.

No matter what you do you should 100% replace the brake fluid, it attract water and retains contaminates that can destroy your brake components.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Manche87
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have not bled the brakes at all, just wanted to get input before I did any work at all. As far as the front brakes not working, I'm almost 100% sure they do. They definitely do not feel like it tho. The rear def grab the most to the point where I know it doesnt feel right. I will try bleeding them and replacing all the fluid and go from there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.