Brake Problem, Need New Hub Assy or Bent Knuckle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake Problem, Need New Hub Assy or Bent Knuckle?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
natetuff
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Brake Problem, Need New Hub Assy or Bent Knuckle?

Went through Les Schwab to get new front brakes on my 01 Cherokee. New rotors, calipers, pads, everything. Basically, my Jeep has been stuck there for 3 days because every time they test drive it, the driver side caliper/rotor starts smoking, dragging and pulling to the left and they can't figure out why. Guy says to me, 'in my 30 years here, I've never seen anything like it...'

Impossible, I'm not the only guy on the face of the earth with this problem. As far as I know, Jeep is all original parts, no donor parts from different years or anything. It's even a DD, I don’t beat the crap out of it...yet. They replaced a brake hose because they claimed it was collapsed and not relieving pressure. Have flushed/drained/bled the brakes numerous times. I did some searching, and all I came across was a potentially bent drivers side knuckle or maybe the hub assy is out.

From what they told me, everything brake related has been replaced on the driver side, to rule out defective parts. Here's the scenario: once everything is mounted, the front driver side wheel will spin freely when you turn it, take it for a quick test drive, and apply the brakes, experience drag after letting off the brakes, get it back in the shop and jack it back up, wheel doesn't want to spin freely and is hot to the touch. This is insanely frustrating. Can anyone shed some light? I don't really have access to the Jeep, since it's at their shop, so no pics. Took it to them in the first place because I'm no mechanic. But I'd like to have my own (and yours) opinions before they try to tell me what needs to be fixed. Am I on the right track? What else could it be?

natetuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
jjg214
2001 XJ Cherokee 

a bent knuckle sounds probable to me, iv never seen or heard of this issue before however.
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have they checked to make sure both hubs are the same? It might be that one of the hubs has been swapped for a pre 1999.5 and is causing problems when they have now fitted a set of matching rotors. This would be my first suspicion but I don't know why it is free to turn initially?

Another thought is how good are the brake pad guides on the knuckle? If they are badly notched where the pads are sat they could be sticking in the hollow. If this is the case then you have a choice, fit a new knuckle or hit it with the welder and fill in the hollows then grind it back to shape.

Here is the info you need to identify your hub type - HUB/ROTOR IDENTIFICATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!

Last edited by sprintagogo; 06-23-2009 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: additional info
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
natetuff
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Update, I NEED HELP. LES SCHWAB IS STUMPED, MY RIG HAS BEEN AT THEIR SHOP FOR A WEEK AND THEY CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT.

First time readers please read my OP above.

The driver side wheel is still having issues. I ordered a new steering knuckle from Quadratec, shipped it directly to Schwabs, they put it on and drove it about 15 miles on the freeway. Got it back in the shop and its *better* (not smoking and getting extremely hot and dragging noticably) but the guy said he jacked it back up, and spun the wheel and it has drag, and the wheel was hot. Granted it is about 85 degrees in Portland today, but he wasn't braking hard, so he says.

I even printed out the write up here and faxed to the guy, who read it over and did the measurments to make sure it wasn't a hub mismatch issue. He's called other shops, everyone at his shop has looked at it, and they just scratch their heads and say they've never seen anything like it, ever.

The strange part is it's only the driver side that has drag and gets hot.

I could really use some suggestions. The next step is to try a new hub assembly/wheel bearing and see if that cures it. I've broken the bank, at this point I have over $700 in the front end for effing BRAKES. I'm now dipping in my lift/tires/sye fund which is enough to make anyone pissed off.

I've got new rotors, calipers and pads, and a new steering knuckle. He's swapped in 5 different calipers, used old calipers, and nothing, still won't stop dragging and getting hot.

If anyone could throw an idea out there I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Unread 06-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #5
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

faulty caliper?
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
MJR

Does it have ABS?
Unread 06-28-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
oldfamilyguy

first they have to find out if its hydraulic pressure holding the brakes on, or something bent, worn etc. not letting them release. apply the brakes hard, let off the pedal. then open the bleeder on the caliper. if fluid squirts out, then its hydraulic pressure not letting the caliper pistons move back in. if not, then something mechanical not letting the pads move away from the rotor. go from there
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
MJR

You just made me think of something. Assuming it doesn't have ABS I could rule out it being a hydraulic problem if it's only on the driverside. The only way you could have that is if there was something in the line but it's been flushed and there is nothing in the prop valve (it's just a splitter for the front circuit) on non-ABS. So it would affect both front wheels if it was hydraulic.

Now if it has ABS there could be a problem with the HCU (hydraulic control unit). This is because the HCU can hold the RF, LF, or rear brakes independantly.

I have seen where someone gets their vehicle serviced somewhere and they put in a wrong fluid that causes rubber parts to swell up. If this happens it's very expensive to fix because you will have to replace all parts that have rubber in them, master cyl, prop valve, HCU, calipers, wheel cylinders, and hoses.
Unread 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
natetuff
2001 XJ Cherokee 

New front rotors, calipers, and pads, and installation $440... (i know, i know)

New brake hose and installation $35... (first proposed problem)

New driver side knuckle from Quadratec and 2nd day delivery + labor installation $368 (second proposed problem)

Being told on Friday that there was still a problem, and getting a call the following Monday saying they did some "final adjustments and everything was working great" and not getting a sufficient explanation as to what they finally did to fix it (after 3 different phone calls) bringing the grand total to $847..... effing priceless!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the new knuckle and installation was completely and totally unnecessary and a waste of my time and MONEY. Needless to say, Les Schwab Corporate Headquarters will be getting a very friendly hand written letter of my experience of the ordeal. Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. I wish I had some answers to post on here, but it appears I've been had. Thanks again.

-Nate
Unread 06-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #10
MJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by natetuff View Post

New driver side knuckle from Quadratec and 2nd day delivery + labor installation $368 (second proposed problem)

Being told on Friday that there was still a problem, and getting a call the following Monday saying they did some "final adjustments and everything was working great" and not getting a sufficient explanation as to what they finally did to fix it (after 3 different phone calls) bringing the grand total to $847..... effing priceless!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the new knuckle and installation was completely and totally unnecessary and a waste of my time and MONEY. Needless to say, Les Schwab Corporate Headquarters will be getting a very friendly hand written letter of my experience of the ordeal. Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. I wish I had some answers to post on here, but it appears I've been had. Thanks again.

-Nate
I am guessing you didn't have this issue with the brakes before they worked on it. Unfortunately it sounds like the repair was something simple that they overlooked/caused and rather than tell you so they wouldn't have to eat the cost of repairs. So instead they are having you pay for their mistake it sounds like.
Unread 07-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #11
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natetuff View Post

-Nate
I would shoot myself if i had to pay that much for some brake work...

I would have gone to the JY and just pulled a whole NEW D30 if that was the case. Hope Les Schwab helps you out...maybe get some free lifetime service or something

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.