Brake Pedal Sensor / Key assembly sensors breakdown/failure?? Won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake Pedal Sensor / Key assembly sensors breakdown/failure?? Won't start

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #1
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Brake Pedal Sensor / Key assembly sensors breakdown/failure?? Won't start

Thanks for all your past input/help! I have a new challenge..

So today, instead of having a start of a great weekend, it started with getting my Jeep towed home.

In the winter, I had one instance where I tried to start the car and nothing at all was working, no buzz, no lights, no ding ding ding..
After searching on here, I saw some posts referring to the button on the shifter not making contact, making the car think it's not in park.
It seemed to work on next time, and no problems since.

Today, I parked my car, go in the store, an hour later come outside, get in. Put the key in, no light, no buzz, no ding ding no crank.

I thought the battery was dead - not the case - same symptoms as before.

Messed around with the shifter, put it in N, moved it a bit, got a jump start from my friend. Nothing...

Then I noticed that with the key in, when I put my foot on the break, the buzz came back...foot off...buzz went away... same with the dome light...(When I reached down there by the brake pedal I also noticed that there is a little shaft that goes in and out, which seems to get stuck somehow.)

Managed to get it started, noticed engine light and check gauges lights are on... driving ok... a few minutes later all gauges went crazy (bermuda triangle style) and when I accelerate the car moved very very slow forward... no torque, like it was slipping. I pulled over, turned it off called the tow truck.
When I got home, I noticed that the brake lights were on the whole time the car was towed on the platform, in N, with no parking break on...

I'm at a loss here. No idea where to even start and could really use your help. It's my only ride...

Really open to suggestions here!
TIA

vodka is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 08:13 AM   #2
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I guess from other posts I've searched, it seems like the issue would be with the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch); the symptoms seems to point to that even though they aren't all 100% like others posted. I will see if I can take on the removal and cleaning of this thing tomorrow - there are two good writeups that I found on this so I hope it's that.

My starter is covered in oil but I don't think this is the problem as the car didn't start even with jumper cables at first. Will have to clean it up with some simple green - you guys think that would be ok?

TIA
vodka is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.