Brake line nuts wont screw in - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake line nuts wont screw in

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Jeepnovice
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Brake line nuts wont screw in

So I just got this 99 xj. I finally got it to start now I'm trying to replace rear metal brake line. The line is in but the nuts won't screw in the fittings properly. The rear bolt won't screw in at all and the end that screws in proportioning valve won't go in all the way n leaks oil out. Pls suggestions!

Jeepnovice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Either you got the wrong size flare nuts, or else you are not getting them squarely lined up to start on the threads. The metal line can push or pull the flare nut just enough so that it doesn't line up with the threads.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Yep...a little finesse. I always have a b***ch of a time with those too. Pull the fitting one way all the way towards the hole, pull the line straight back the other way, making sure it's 90 degrees to the threads (and you may have to alter it by a degree or two either way.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnovice View Post
So I just got this 99 xj. I finally got it to start now I'm trying to replace rear metal brake line. The line is in but the nuts won't screw in the fittings properly. The rear bolt won't screw in at all and the end that screws in proportioning valve won't go in all the way n leaks oil out. Pls suggestions!
Did you make this line yourself?

I think you'll find that the nut at the proportioning valve is Metric.
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a pic that shows the small dogleg tube that goes to the proportioning valve and it's flare types and wrench sizes. If you used an OEM tube assembly that goes all the way back to the rear axle the flare nut that connects to the dogleg should hook right up.

Unread 08-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
Jeepnovice
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Doleg doesn't go in right in the proportioning valve. That's the issue
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Jeepnovice
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen

Did you make this line yourself?

I think you'll find that the nut at the proportioning valve is Metric.
No I got the line premade at dealer
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Doleg doesn't go in right in the proportioning valve. That's the issue
Sorry, it's Dogleg, not Doleg. My misprint. LOL

Verify that the flare end that goes into the proportioning valve is a conventional double flare (SAE), not an ISO Bulb type flare. Examine the threads on the flare nut-make sure they're not crossthreaded. Same with the female threads in the valve.

If neccessary, loosen (or totally disconnect) the Metric coupling enough to allow you to go straight in with the SAE end. Carefully start the threads and once they start you should be able to turn the fitting in by hand.
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Jeepnovice
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So I disconnected dogleg and was able to screw it in just fine. Same thing w rear flare. But it was too difficult to connect dogleg w rest of line while it was in valve s I took out and lord n behold it did not want to thread in w like all connected. I guess I'm further in the process now that I was before! Thank you I ll try again tomorrow.
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It can be nerve wracking because of the limited space to work in. Just loosen the nut that goes into the proportioning valve enough to start the Metric couplings. Then tighten them, then tighten the valve nut.

I had to use short open end wrenches to deal with the Metric coupling nuts.
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Jeepnovice
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKen
It can be nerve wracking because of the limited space to work in. Just loosen the nut that goes into the proportioning valve enough to start the Metric couplings. Then tighten them, then tighten the valve nut.

I had to use short open end wrenches to deal with the Metric coupling nuts.
No kidding ! its one of the most frustrating things I've done.
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
No kidding ! its one of the most frustrating things I've done.
The party has just begun.

Unread 08-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^^

Brakes can be the absolute worst sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
Jeepnovice
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wtf! I just tried w dogleg lose n did not work. I guess my next step is to remove proportioning valve, which is gonna b another pain! I already picked one up at junk yard and the dogleg goes in just fine. I'm worry about rear nut of valve it was hard to remove when I got used one. I thought this would be easy oh was I wrong!
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure to use flared line wrench. You'll only wreck the nuts if you use a standard open ended wrench.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.