Brake Issues on 1990 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake Issues on 1990 Cherokee

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 04-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
tgoad
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Brake Issues on 1990 Cherokee

So I just got done bleeding my brakes and there was no change in my braking. I still have to put the pedal all the way to the floor and even then I'm hardly braking. The pads are not that old only like 4 months or so. When I press the pedal I can hear hissing from it. I haven't had to add fluid so its not leaking out. If anyone has any thoughts of what might be going on, I would love to hear them.

tgoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
First things first, do you have on XJ, or a full size like you claim on your info (and btw., the 4.0 is not a V6..)? Second, ABS or standard brakes?

If you have standard brakes and the pedal goes all the way to to floor, you most likely have a bad master cylinder. Booster may hiss a little during braking, but if it's bad you'd have a very hard brake pedal. Air in the system and you've got a spongy feel on the pedal, bad MC makes the pedal go slowly all the way to the floor (and you have reduced or no braking power).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
tgoad
1990 XJ Cherokee 

its four door so yeah full size, and standard. The brakes feel spongy but i just bled them and they're still spongy
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

NO no a FSJ, and XJ are two different types of jeeps. Google it for clarification. They did not make a FSJ Cherokee in 90, but did make a FSJ Wagoneer in 90. Did you bleed them through the line fitting or bleed screw?
Edit---You hear air, then it may be a bad Master Cylinder.
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
tgoad
1990 XJ Cherokee 

sorry misunderstood, i have a XJ. Bleed them through the bleed screw. Im thinking the Cylinders bad

Tags
brakes , cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.