Brake Issue in 87' XJ... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake Issue in 87' XJ...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Brake Issue in 87' XJ...

I'm having a weird issue with my brakes...if this sounds familiar and can be pinpointed I'll be super happy!

The issue is as follows; I have no brakes, when I pump up the pedal I have no pedal and when I hold the pedal down it doesn't go to the floor...it just stops about 2-4 inches from the floor. It's almost like it just keeps hitting a wall and not building any pressure. I was going to look for a leak but if it's not going to the floor I don't have much to go on.

Anybody think this could be the brake power booster/master cylinder going bad or could it be a vacuum issue? I've never had this issue before...they've always just gone to floor.

Thank you for any input.

Unread 09-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Booster/vacuum issues have no effect on basic braking, other than making pedal pressures for a given brake force lower.

Since you have NO brakes, you can dismiss them as an issue.

Let's start with the basics---is the master cylinder full of GOOD brake fluid? Have you tried to BLEED any of the brakes, and if so, do they bleed normally?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok, so tonight I was messing around with them with my dad. I found the electrical connection for the brake sensor removed and we pushed the black rubber button (or whatever it is) on the end of the brake lines...now I have brakes. The brakes still need bled but I guess that black button is a reset button or something? I don't know...but it worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.