Brake Issue in 87' XJ... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake Issue in 87' XJ...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Brake Issue in 87' XJ...

I'm having a weird issue with my brakes...if this sounds familiar and can be pinpointed I'll be super happy!

The issue is as follows; I have no brakes, when I pump up the pedal I have no pedal and when I hold the pedal down it doesn't go to the floor...it just stops about 2-4 inches from the floor. It's almost like it just keeps hitting a wall and not building any pressure. I was going to look for a leak but if it's not going to the floor I don't have much to go on.

Anybody think this could be the brake power booster/master cylinder going bad or could it be a vacuum issue? I've never had this issue before...they've always just gone to floor.

Thank you for any input.

Unread 09-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Booster/vacuum issues have no effect on basic braking, other than making pedal pressures for a given brake force lower.

Since you have NO brakes, you can dismiss them as an issue.

Let's start with the basics---is the master cylinder full of GOOD brake fluid? Have you tried to BLEED any of the brakes, and if so, do they bleed normally?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok, so tonight I was messing around with them with my dad. I found the electrical connection for the brake sensor removed and we pushed the black rubber button (or whatever it is) on the end of the brake lines...now I have brakes. The brakes still need bled but I guess that black button is a reset button or something? I don't know...but it worked.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.