Brake issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Brake issue

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-23-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
teqmod

Brake issue

Weird Problem, The wife drives the XJ and was telling me her front brakes were locking up and I never thought the brakes worked very well in her vehicle to begin with. I confirmed the front brakes were locking up fairly easily and it appeared the rear brakes were not working too well. They are also squeeking so I went to check em out. The right side drum was rusted on but a little heat fixed that.I pulled the right side and noticed alot of rust on the friction surface of the drum. The whole thing is pretty rusty, I have a feeling it came from up north. The left side drum was rusted on as well but same heat and off it came. The friction surface was nice and shiny on the left. Since the drums were so rusty I replaced them, cleaned and adjusted the brakes and put it all back together. While on jack stands I fired it up, put it in gear and applied the brakes. To my suprise the right wheel was still spinning. I stood on the brakes as hard as I could and it slowed a little but did not stop. The emergency brake stopped it with no problems. Next I went to bleed the right side and fluid came out with no problems. I pulled the drum back off, had the wife slowly press the brake pedal and I got a little movement on the primary shoe after she pressed it as hard as she could. It returned with no problems. My assumption is the wheel cylinder is frozen so off to the parts store I go for a set of wheel cylinders. Hopefully this is the problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

On a positive note I thought the diff was a d35 but a tag by the RR drum said 8.25

I do not really know what the 8.25 looks like but after comparing it to a d35 they look pretty similar in the carrier area but the cherokee diff looks a bit larger. Guess I am going to have to look around and ID the actual diff.

91/93 YJ's merged 4.0L ax-15 8.8 w/Detroit TB spacer SOA SuperShortSYE
01 Cherokee stock
03 Yamaha R1 "Couldn't catch it if you tried"

teqmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.