brake issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > brake issue

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
ISAACAH
1989 XJ Cherokee 

brake issue

Hey I have an issues with my 89 Cherokee itís not abs I replaced the master cylinder, rotors, calipers, and drums. I and someone else bled the system correctly no air. But it wouldnít stop unless I put it to the floor, so then we extended the pin that pushes the piston. It stopped better and if I put the brake to the floor the rears would lock but when I push on the breaks it feels empty. they stop but thatís not my issue, my issues is I was driving it home and the brakes started to lock up I could drive but couldnít go over 25. I didnít even have to press the brake to stop and when I did the pedal would be all the way at the top and I could press down as if they were already to the floor no more movement. I get home the front brakes are extremely hot so I let them cool off then I get back in after 2 hours or so and they are back to normal. So Iím just asking would it be because the pin I extended out it wonít let the brakes bleed out?, Or any other issues

ISAACAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You should NEVER extend the pushrod beyond the recommended distance listed in the FSM. I don't know what that distance is for your model, but perhaps someone with the older single-diaphram booster can chime in.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
ISAACAH
1989 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...ng-rod-291344/

seems like this guy had the same issue i might have loosen it out too much i guys ill have to pull it back in a Little more.
ISAACAH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
89 cherokee , brake , problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.