Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

brake issue

692 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ISAACAH 
#1 ·
Hey I have an issues with my 89 Cherokee it’s not abs I replaced the master cylinder, rotors, calipers, and drums. I and someone else bled the system correctly no air. But it wouldn’t stop unless I put it to the floor, so then we extended the pin that pushes the piston. It stopped better and if I put the brake to the floor the rears would lock but when I push on the breaks it feels empty. they stop but that’s not my issue, my issues is I was driving it home and the brakes started to lock up I could drive but couldn’t go over 25. I didn’t even have to press the brake to stop and when I did the pedal would be all the way at the top and I could press down as if they were already to the floor no more movement. I get home the front brakes are extremely hot so I let them cool off then I get back in after 2 hours or so and they are back to normal. So I’m just asking would it be because the pin I extended out it won’t let the brakes bleed out?, Or any other issues

#2 ·
You should NEVER extend the pushrod beyond the recommended distance listed in the FSM. I don't know what that distance is for your model, but perhaps someone with the older single-diaphram booster can chime in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.