brake caliper knuckle problems need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > brake caliper knuckle problems need help

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
AzAuto
1999 XJ Cherokee 

brake caliper knuckle problems need help

hey, one of my brake caliper bolts broke in the knuckle that holds it after trying to drill out and retap i realized that it cant fit any bigger bolts or anything so i need a new knuckle or any idea on how to fix it anyone know where to get a knuckle for cheap or have one?

231New Process Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
Dana M30/181MM Front Axle
3.55 Axle Ratio
Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
30X9.50 Mastercraft MT[/SIZE][/COLOR]

"cherokee making the impossible possible since 84"
[QUOTE=Bolognablake]I love my lifted Jeep because it's really easy to change the oil.[/QUOTE]
AzAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
firefighter1c57
SPACE FOR RENT

yes you can fight a larger bolt. I am currently running 4 7/16 bolts in my front brakes. Take the metal sleeve out of the caliper, the part with the rubber boot on it. Take the boot off, and drill the sleeve out to accept the larger bolt. IIRC I used two inch bolts, but I actually trimmed them down a little with the bench grinder to keep them out of the back of the rotor.

I bring NOTHING to the table.
firefighter1c57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #3
XJohnnyC

I just repaired a stripped out caliper bolt hole this weekend using a Perma-coil kit. The caliper bolt is M8x1.25. The instructions said to drill the hole out to 21/64, tap the hole with the supplied tap, then install one of the inserts. Worked great and was super easy too.

So if the hole is no bigger than 21/64, you can use the Perma-coil kit. If the hole is already bigger than 21/64, you can get the next biggest kit, which I believe is M9x1.25, and get a new bolt. But you'd have to do as cruzmyxj said and drill out the sleeves.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #4
artboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJohnnyC
I just repaired a stripped out caliper bolt hole this weekend using a Perma-coil kit.

Been there done that many moons ago with a heli-coil kit... worked great...saved my a$$!
My Pics
"life moves pretty fast... if you don't stop and look around once and awhile, you could miss it"...F. Bueller
artboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.