brake booster adjusting rod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > brake booster adjusting rod

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-09-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
bandit88

brake booster adjusting rod

is there and/or how do you adjust the booster rod for correct proper braking?i adjusted it once before and it caused the brakes to stick and the rotors were glowing hot.put all new complete brakes on my xj (minus booster)and dont want to ruin my brakes.is there a measuerment on the rod or do you adjust it for a pedal depth or something??? hope some one can help

Unread 07-09-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
XJING

I dont think there is any adjustment possible on any brake booster/master cylinder rod. The system will adjust itself with a proper bleeding. Good Luck
XJING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

You are normally not expected to EVER adjust the rod for "proper braking". The rod comes adjusted from the mfr. to the correct length to match up to the appropriate Master Cylinder.

Why do you feel you need to adjust the rod? (What symptoms do you have that makes you think the rod adjustment would improve braking?)
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #4
bandit88

when i first got it ,my boss at the salvage yard said to adjust it to cure the low pedal.that was a few years ago, but now i have all new brakes and dont want to put them towards excess wear or damage. and i havent adjusted the rod since then, i just want it to be right. the rod does have threads and a end cap so i have no idea
Unread 07-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
asheets934

I've had to adjust mine. When i first got my 89 i had to take it in slightly because it was making the brakes drag. Your master cylinder is attached to the booster with two bolts, remove them. Pull the master cylinder forward carefully, dont want to break the lines of any of the vac lines in front of it, untill you have it off the bolts and the pushrod. The pushrod should have a end you can get a wrench on, its pretty small like less than 10mm i think. Anyway, grip the shaft with some visegrips and crank that to adjust. Once you see it, its pretty self explanitory. A little turning goes a long way here so you probobly end up pulling the master cylinder off, adjusting the rod, reassembling, testing, then redoing the whole process 2 or 3 times . . .
Unread 07-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #6
XJING

Excellant, I learned something today. I had no idea that you could "adjust' that, I have my '88 master/booster swapped to a 95 but didn't know it could be adjusted. Mine doesnt need it but its handy to know.
XJING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Yep, it sure can be adjusted. As said, normally there is no need because boosters and mc's are sort of like matched pairs. But if you buy them separate, or replace just the other one, there may be a need to do that. It's possible to either have the adjustemnt rod too far out (brakes dragging) or too much in (play on brake pedal).

If you've ever removed your mc it's pretty clear how the adjustment can be done. I think I've got a picture on my home computer, but not here at work.. I can try to remember to post a pic when I get home.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
apsoto
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, Almost 5 years later, hopefully someone sees this post.

I'm replacing my brake booster and the master cylinder push rod on the original (bad) booster is firmly in place, but I can adjust the rod with my hand.

With all new (remanufactured) one's that I buy the MC push rod rattles around a bit and when I try to adjust the rod the whole unit spins as opposed to the original one where the inner bolt of the rod rotates and the outer sheath stays put.

Has anyone seen similar behavior? I'm wondering since all the 'good' new boosters I look at are the same, maybe it's my original (bad) booster that has the 'bad' or incorrect push rod. Is it safe to just crank down a on the outer sheath with a vise grip and adjust the inner rod in/out? I'm afraid of stripping it because it was so easy to adjust with my fingers on my original booster.

https://picasaweb.google.com/apsoto/...32362721649490
apsoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
cpjisaac
1992 FSJ Cherokee 

I am replacing my brake master and pulled the booster off to get at the pedal push rod-any ideas on how to get the old push rod disconnected?
cpjisaac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
apsoto
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's the diagram from my 97 XJ FSM

https://skitch.com/apsoto/f2nf5/97-x...ge-864-of-1724
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
cpjisaac
1992 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks-got the rod of the pedal, what about of getting the rod off the booster? My new master came w/ a new rod and rubber seal-concerned that I may make the booster bad if I do not change it correctly.
cpjisaac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 12:56 AM   #12
apsoto
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm a 97 XJ and the brake booster is a single unit as far as I know. The rod that connects to the pedal does not come off (as far as I know) and the rod inside the booster unit that pushes in/out of the master cylinder is adjustable but also is not meant to come off.

I did have a problem finding the 'correct' booster when I replaced mine. Even though the 'part' you get at most parts store look correct, I had problems getting the rod inside the booster to adjust correctly. I eventaully had to take in my old booster to show it to the parts guy and had him order various different ones from different manufacturers to find the one that looked the 'closest' to OEM for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.