Bouncy ride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bouncy ride

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-10-2012, 05:49 AM   #1
nyyankee

Bouncy ride

My 2000 sport feels clangy and jumpy over bumps. I just had the shocks replaced and sway bar link and u joint axle. What else should I be looking for.?

nyyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Upper and lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankee View Post
My 2000 sport feels clangy and jumpy over bumps.
Is this new since the shocks were installed ?

Is the Jeep stock or modified ?

What tire pressure are you running ?

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
nyyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Is this new since the shocks were installed ?

Is the Jeep stock or modified ?

What tire pressure are you running ?
Its all stock and it always was like that. Sounds like an old oil can when hitting bumps at low speeds and windows closed so you can hear links. Must be a bushing or something. It's not awful but it's not smooth either. Just put new tires on yesterday so pressure is normal. Truck has 90k on the ticker but the car sat since new and was only used on snowy commute days and everything underneath is rusted. Not rusted through but rusted. They had to re-drill the shocks.

Unread 10-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

"Normal" tire pressure for cars isn't the same as jeeps.... Check it/drop it to 25 - 30 lbs. Anything over 30 and it's going to ride terrible terrible. Which most shops will naturally do....

If you can stick the cam under the jeep and snap a couple more pics, you'll get a lot more info and advise. Focus on the shocks if you can also because if the shop moved the mounts one way or the other, they may be bottoming or topping out. Which you would undoubtedly feel...

If the shock mounts were rusted through that bad, your clunking could really be anything at all. I, or anyone else for that matter, would probably give you this list to start: u-joints, exhaust, trans/crossmember mount, sway bar links, shock mounts(even though shop said they fixed), wheel bearings, or ball joints.

Really a guessing game without more info and/or pics...

-What does the jeep do when you bounce it up and down front and rear(check both)? Does it keep bouncing for a while? Any odd noises?
-Where does the clunking sound like it's coming from? Front/rear/directly under you?
-Is the noise effected by any driving conditions at all? Accel/decel, braking, turning one way or the other? Does it pop/clunk when you put it in gear?
-How's the handeling/steering? Seem to sway one way or the other? Steering feel loose or sloppy at all? Pull to either side?

Errrr.....ever get the feeling you've had too many Jeeps for waaaaay too long...

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
VBRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
nyyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBRubicon View Post
"Normal" tire pressure for cars isn't the same as jeeps.... Check it/drop it to 25 - 30 lbs. Anything over 30 and it's going to ride terrible terrible. Which most shops will naturally do....

If you can stick the cam under the jeep and snap a couple more pics, you'll get a lot more info and advise. Focus on the shocks if you can also because if the shop moved the mounts one way or the other, they may be bottoming or topping out. Which you would undoubtedly feel...

If the shock mounts were rusted through that bad, your clunking could really be anything at all. I, or anyone else for that matter, would probably give you this list to start: u-joints, exhaust, trans/crossmember mount, sway bar links, shock mounts(even though shop said they fixed), wheel bearings, or ball joints.

Really a guessing game without more info and/or pics...

-What does the jeep do when you bounce it up and down front and rear(check both)? Does it keep bouncing for a while? Any odd noises?
-Where does the clunking sound like it's coming from? Front/rear/directly under you?
-Is the noise effected by any driving conditions at all? Accel/decel, braking, turning one way or the other? Does it pop/clunk when you put it in gear?
-How's the handeling/steering? Seem to sway one way or the other? Steering feel loose or sloppy at all? Pull to either side?

Errrr.....ever get the feeling you've had too many Jeeps for waaaaay too long...
Shocks are 1 week old. The sound comes from front but adible only in the truck. Handling/Steering fine, Bounce is great. Steering a little loose but Im coing from Mustangs .
Unread 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
VBRubicon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Can you take anymore pics? Like the 3rd one you posted...only with the tire turned all the way to the left and facing towards the front a bit more....sounds like sway bar link bushings a bit. I'll show you what your looking for when I get home to my currently incapacitated Cherokee. Ha!

If you do take more pics, one directly from the front as low as you can get the cam facing up a little at the front axle housingish...

Can you describe the sound any better? Single pop, grind, clunk....??

Mr. Madison, what you've just said ... is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
VBRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
nyyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBRubicon View Post
Can you take anymore pics? Like the 3rd one you posted...only with the tire turned all the way to the left and facing towards the front a bit more....sounds like sway bar link bushings a bit. I'll show you what your looking for when I get home to my currently incapacitated Cherokee. Ha!

If you do take more pics, one directly from the front as low as you can get the cam facing up a little at the front axle housingish...

Can you describe the sound any better? Single pop, grind, clunk....??
Ill go do that now. It sounds "jiggly" no popping when you hit the bumps the car kinda jumps.
Unread 10-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
nyyankee

Rusty huh? And this car only has 90k

Unread 10-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What brand of shocks ?

What tire pressure ?

It is a 4x4 truck, and will never ride like a car.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
nyyankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
What brand of shocks ?

What tire pressure ?

It is a 4x4 truck, and will never ride like a car.
Im not trying to make it drive like a car. This is my 4th Sport and I have a 2010 Sahara so I know how they drive. I'll get it checked out. Thanks for your help.
Unread 10-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
RestoringDadsCJ
1946 CJ2A 

Noise

Make sure your track bar mounting bolts , and your track bar nut is good and tight, my 96 country was getting a sharp pop when turning sometimes and over things like speed bumps or pot holes, I searched for months till one day I was under it and my buddy moved the steering wheel as he sat down for a bit and I seen it move as it popped. I took it apart bought new grade 8 bolts for the mount, applied a little locktite on the bolts,a nd torqued them down really good, poppin noise all gone. Also all that rust would make me nervous if that was my rig, might wanna get a good hard bristle sanding disc and clean and inspect everything really well, never know where a there could be a problem just hiding.
RestoringDadsCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.