Bolt In High Pinion Dana 44 - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bolt In High Pinion Dana 44

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 10-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #61
JTM1
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for reminding me why I wanted to go with a HP44 and just narrow it.

JTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 04:32 PM   #62
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccoy9876 View Post
haha. So are your spring mounts integrated into the truss, or separate? When I just mocked my spring mounts up on the 44 (mine are from Rusty's offroad) the springs stuck out pretty far over the front of the tubes, plus the hi-steer setup currently on mine puts the drag-link in the front most hole on the arm, and the tie-rod in the rear most hole on the arm, which I think is causing most of my clearance issues. If I switch to a setup like yours where the drag link connects to the tie-rod, I might be ok. Did you fab your tie-rod/drag link, or order it?

Also (I'll have to check this later, since the D44 is in Ohio and I'm in FL) I believe my track bar mount is going to be too low, as it's integrated into the spring perch, but below the perch itself, so I'll probably have to fab one of those as well.

Just trying to get all my stuff sorted out so that I can dive right into it when I go home for Christmas.
I bought my coil buckets and truss from Treks. They use a separate buckets that are later welded to the truss.

I assume the Rustys is similar to a stock setup and I doubt you could do OTK or highsteer and have full steering. I know when I did OTK on my D30, I had to limit the steering because it would hit the coils at full lock, so Im sure a 44 is pretty similar. Is it possbile, probably, but I dont know for sure.

I bought my steering from JCR offroad. They cut the threads rather then use weld in inserts which I like a lot better. Im sure you could make it yourself, but I didnt have time and skills to do it myself, so I paid a bit more to have a reputable shop to make it for me.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #63
gsenick
1999 TJ Wrangler 

nice thread!
gsenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #64
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Love this thread. So I can get a HP44 from a '66 F100 locally pretty cheap. I was thinking if I do that and do not care about the high steer knuckles, can I just narrow it and use Waggy inner shafts and then from the u-joints out use '79 F150 everything? Stub shafts, hubs, ball joints, knuckles, brakes, etc.? So basically the only Waggy parts would be the inner shafts. I guess I am not sure what all is interchangeable. Things like ball joints, spindles, and stub shafts, etc. come to mind. I could follow this thread 100% but if I do not need the Chevy knuckles and want to do this on the cheap, would using all the Ford stuff make the most sense? I see some guys run Waggy stuff, some Dodge, some Chevy, and some Ford so just looking for the cheapest/simplest option to have 5x5.5. Thanks!

Updated: Picking up my '76 F-150 axle this Sunday (5-19-13) for $150 about 30 miles from me. Sweet!
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #65
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can someone tell me how to remove the inner bearing cup and bearing from the hub/rotor assembly as well as divorce the hub and rotor from each other? I would like to use my Ford hubs and get new rotors only. Thanks!

Unread 08-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #66
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Got them off! Now how do you get the bearing and race out without destroying the race?
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #67
Arkansasboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You should be able to just pull the bearing out with your hand if not use a seal puller or something similar to get the bearing out with the race just use a flat tip screw driver and hammer and from the other side there will be a lip where the race sticks up you can use to put the screw driver on and hit it out going from one side to the other making a circle and it will come out with no damage
Arkansasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #68
TURBevO8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ill see if I can get the bearing out the front. The outer bearing just fell out no problem. The inner one seems in there. I'd really like to reuse these hubs. They are still in great shape! Also have a buddy with a son that works at a junk yard. He's been keeping an eye out for a 70s K series for me. One cam in yesterday! So hopefully knuckles and spindles for cheap today!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.