Bolt falling out of engine? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bolt falling out of engine?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 09-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #16
menace2

The "Renix" Fuel Injection System is an older computer system found on Jeeps from 1986 thru 1990. Renix made computers that controlled emission carbuerators used by AMC, Volvo, and Renault (Renault and Bendix started Renix) as well as early Fuel Injection Systems. You'll find the word Renix used to denote these older Jeep Fuel Injection Systems here on Jeep Forum.
Your 1999 Cherokee is an OBDII. It is two (arguable three) generations newer than the Renix. The OBDII systems don't use Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR).
EGR is taking some exhaust gas out of the exhaust manifold and feeding into the intake manifold to cool the combustion for emission purposes. Later computers and fuel injection systems no longer needed it to meet the legal emissions requirements.
The older carbeurated and Renix Jeeps had a tube going from the exhaust manifold to the intake manifold to feed the exhaust gas through a valve = EGR. Your 1999 Cherokee did not come with it. Your Dad's friend or the previous owner has put an older, EGR type exhaust manifold on the Cherokee. No biggie if it runs. The late 90s Jeep manifolds are prone to cracking. The Previous Owner (PO) probably got the older manifold cheap and threw it on to replace a cracked one. He had to block or plug the tube for the reason you've discovered. The plug is just a brass plumbing fitting with a bolt and nut down the middle.
A newer, correct, tubing type exhaust manifold is more effecient and will produce more power.

menace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

ok cool well thank you very much I really appreciate it. Ill see about geting some money together to get a better exhaust manifold then. Again thank you all very much
Steev89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #18
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Makes you wonder what else the dude cobbled together.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #19
menace2

You can order the newer manifold online for about $100. Less on eBay. The newer version has what looks like accordion flexible tubing on the front and back runners to help prevent the cracking from occurring during the heat/cool cycles.

[IMG][/IMG]
menace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your right ratmonkey it does make me wonder and hope he didnt do something that will come back to bite me too bad. And thank you again menace, 100$ isnt too bad so I should be able to get that soon hopefully.
Steev89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bolt , cherokee , engine

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.