Bolt falling out of engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bolt falling out of engine?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 09-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Bolt falling out of engine?

Hi, First off Im new here so please correct me if I have made a mistake in posting or any other such mistake.

Now for my question. I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee and a bold has fallen off of the engine making it be extremely loud. This happened once before and I found where the bolt went and tightened it back in the engine but it recently fell out again. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do about this bolt falling out so often, and also what the bolt is even for. I have a haynes manual and i could not find any information about it at all. The bolt is on the lower part of the engine on the drivers side. Thank you for your time I really appreciate it.

Steev89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

where does it bolt on? can you take a picture of this bolt?

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 02:43 AM   #3
jeepjones
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Loctite.
jeepjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Finaltheorem47
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Hi, sorry but your description got me laughing. You need to give us more info to work on. Could be an exhaust manifold nut/bolt though. Losing one of those could make it a lot louder.
Finaltheorem47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

holy vagueness
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

INFO PLEASE...PICS do wonders

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
egodfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
menace2

Well, that's more information than "My car makes noises, what's wrong with it?"
menace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the vagueness. one of my friends suggested loctite also. here are a couple pictures of where it is though.

Here is the bolt itself

It might be a bit hard to see but the bolt fell out of the hole there beneath the brake fluid resivoir

here is a bit closer pic
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
solidsnake1761
2000 XJ Cherokee 

it look like its on the exhaust to me. it look like a o2 censor delete.
solidsnake1761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Fabbed up EGR tube bung plug on the exhaust manifold, probably because the EGR tube went to crap.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
menace2

That's reall odd. A 99 does not have EGR and stranger, does not have a tube sticking out at that location, and does not have a hole in the exhaust manifold there. I can't imagine what it is.
But that does appear to be a plug made out of a brass fitting and a bolt. The threads appear to be buggered, which would help explain it not staying in.
menace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'd buy an air fuel meter and plug it in there just for kicks.
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #13
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Steve,

As others have noted, the photos of your engine compartment show features that are NOT normally found on a 1999 XJ with a 4.0L IN LINE (not "V") six cylinder engine.

The hole you see is in the exhaust manifold of the engine, and the noise you hear is exhaust gases finding a way out other than through the tailpipe and muffler.

The bolt you show is functioning as a plug for that hole, and is made from brass. The soft threads of the brass are stripped, and will not tighten properly in the hole. You need a new plug.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

It appears to have a Renix exhaust manifold. Weird.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
Steev89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you all for your help. I didnt know that it was unusual for my jeep to have that there but thats interesting to know.

I did go to a auto parts store and bought a new bolt and some loctite for it and put it in there nice and tight. And it sounds better than before even with that previous bolt in there. Also while showing him the bolt he said it looked to him that whoever had it before rigged that bolt together himself.

And you say it has things not normally found in my year jeep which again i didnt know anything was different about my jeep I purchased it a few months ago from a friend of my fathers who runs a auto mechanics garage who got it from an auction and fixed what needed to get fixed so I dont know what the previous owner did with it.

Menace2 mentioned a EGR tube, do you mind if I ask what that is? Also is a renix exhaust a good thing or a bad thing? or is it simply just weird. and why would the person have put them in the jeep? If you dont mind me asking. If I should start a different thread for these questions let me know and I will. Thank you again.

Tags
bolt , cherokee , engine

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.