Blown rear axle. What to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Blown rear axle. What to do?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
garym31
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Blown rear axle. What to do?

I have a stock YJ, 31" tires, the transfer and rear are totally gone. I got a new transfer case and now I am trying to figure out what to do with rear. Suggestions? I have done a TON of research. All fingers point to an 8.8 swap but I really don't need it. I won't be taking the thing mudding or anything. Is there any easy way to fix what I already have? I have never dealt with differentials.

XJ's and ZJ's are all over bone yards but if I were do go that far I may as well go with an 8.8.

Last edited by garym31; 05-04-2010 at 01:35 AM..
garym31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you just broke a shaft you could pull a set from a junkyard for like $50. How did it break?
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

what is broke exactly. spiders and shafts are easy to swap.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your profile is not complete, so I'll assume you have a D35. If correct, don't spend any money to fix that sucker. If you can get a D35 given to you and all you need is an axle shaft swap, or new Spider gears AND you can do the labor, go for it. However, if there is more to it, or if you have to pay labor, get yourself an 8.25 from another XJ. The 8.25 looks almost exactly like a D35. The specs on a 8.25 is not a lot better than a D35. However, in the real World, the 8.25 is a much better axle than the D35 and it is a direct bolt in replacement for a D35 in and XJ. 8.25 can be had for $100 - $200 and with 31 inch tires, it should be more than strong enough for you unless you really like that stupid pedal (gas pedal).
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I went ahead & moved this to the correct forum.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
garym31
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought the Jeep so I don't know. Yes the spider gears are split in half. It's not very pretty in there. I have a dana 35 btw.
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym31 View Post
I just bought the Jeep so I don't know. Yes the spider gears are split in half. It's not very pretty in there. I have a dana 35 btw.
If you know your gear ratio and you can find the correct D35 ready to bolt in for free, go for it. Otherwise look for a 8.25 with correct gear ratio it will be worth the $100 to $200 extra. Whatever you do, don't start trying to repair a D35 as it will be like tossing money in a bottomless hole.
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

what year xj? do you have abs? if so, do you want to keep it?
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Cheapest and easiest would be to find a matching used rear diff (model and gear ratio) at a junkyard and swap it out. If your not going to wheel it at all don't bother upgrading. Because of Cash for Clunkers the yards around me are filled with XJs. If you've got a dana 35 with 3.55s (most likely) you could not walk through a junkyard near me without tripping over one.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
mfalik
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would just replace it with another D35. Otherwise, the 8.25 is a slightly better axle that can be installed easily. You'll just need to get the rear drive shaft that goes with the 8.25. Check out www.car-parts.com , it will tell you all the salvage yards near you that have it.
2007 Mazda CX-7 (the new commuter car)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer (Rear Ended - TOTALED)
1998 VW Beetle (SOLD)
1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited - (SOLD)
mfalik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
garym31
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well I considered replacing the spiders but the teeth on the ring and pinion are gone as well. I just moved out to CA and all my specialty tools ie a welder are back east. I am just using this jeep as my driver and am looking for the most simple fix. It's looking like finding another 35 with 3.07's is my best bet.

Anyone in NoCal have one?
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well I considered replacing the spiders but the teeth on the ring and pinion are gone as well. I just moved out to CA and all my specialty tools ie a welder are back east. I am just using this jeep as my driver and am looking for the most simple fix. It's looking like finding another 35 with 3.07's is my best bet.

Anyone in NoCal have one?
At one point in time, I had a D35, complete from hub to hub, and in good working order with 3:07 gears in it. I thought I was never going to give that sucker away.... I mean literally give it away and yet no one wanted it.

**EDIT** Did an XJ have 3:07 gears, or are we talking about a different Jeep?
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
garym31
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Swing and a miss in the bone yard. All old XJ's.
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Finding a d35 with 3:07's shouldn't be that hard, but if you wanted to upgrade to better gears for the 31's you could easily find a set of axles from an auto XJ that will have 3:55 gears and will work great with your 31's and 5 speed. An 8.25 rear won't be any harder to bolt in than the d35, you just need the driveshaft from the donor jeep to go with it. I just looked at your profile and noticed the 2.5L. If this is true you have 4:10 gears and they will be even harder to find.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Swing and a miss in the bone yard. All old XJ's.
Okay..... let's clear the air. Do you have an XJ or are we talking about a YJ? Your profile and your comments DO NOT add up. What freak-n vehicle are we talking about?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.