Blown Fuel Pump??? Need Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Blown Fuel Pump??? Need Help

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 01-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
TylerXJ96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Blown Fuel Pump??? Need Help

I was driving going about 30-35 heard a load pop sounded like it came from the passenger side immediately after the engine died. Before it would spudder a little bit when I would gas it or accelerate really fast. I checked the TPS and it was fine all fuses are good. It turns over New battery & alt. It wants to start when I spray some starter fluid in the air intake. I have a 96 classic and if it is the fuel pump do I have to drop the tank or can I put a pump in line with the old one but outside the tank and leave the old one in there?

TylerXJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If it starts with a splash of gas into the intake, then you have a fuel delivery problem. You could verify with a fuel pressure gauge to be sure. You need 31 psi of pressure to start the engine (old fuel system) and 49 psi of fuel pressure to start the engine (new fuel system).

96 was a year where changes were made to the fuel system. Early 96 XJs had the old fuel system and later mfg. XJs had the new fuel system, same as 97-01. If you have a fuel pressure regulator under the hood, then you have the old style system where you do not have to drop the tank to change the fuel pump.

If you have the new fuel system, you must drop the tank and replace the fuel pump, you shouldn't entertain trying anything else.

If you need a fuel pump, be sure you know what fuel system you have before heading for the parts store! I recommend installing the entire FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY while you are at it if the tank comes down. Bosh, Carter good choices. Don't buy an Airtex. I won't install them nor will I recommend them.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #3
TylerXJ96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Okay so it's not the fuel pump it turns on and everything you can hear it go it's located on the side of the tank so today I'm gonna see if its the fuel line that's clogged but I replaced the cps and I'm not getting a spark to my plugs so I'm gonna look into that today but any suggestions still won't start!
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerXJ96 View Post
Okay so it's not the fuel pump it turns on and everything you can hear it go it's located on the side of the tank so today I'm gonna see if its the fuel line that's clogged but I replaced the cps and I'm not getting a spark to my plugs so I'm gonna look into that today but any suggestions still won't start!
A bit of advice, if you expect serious help, you need to take the advice given seriously, or your not likely to get any real help, example, hearing the fuel pump turn on is not measuring the fuel pressure, it may be a moot point anyway as you said it doesn't have spark, and instead of testing your cps, you started tossing parts at it, and many aftermarket cps components are junk, hit and miss if they work at all, you may even have caused a no-spark with a bad cps and still have a fuel issue and now compounded it with a double no start issue. You have to follow certain steps or you'll just get more frustrated and toss money at it till you get lucky or give up or pay someone else to repair it.
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
TylerXJ96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Okay well despite all that turns out my neutral safety switch is bad I was able to start it in neutral
Unread 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

It SHOULD start in Neutral...or Park...or Neutral...but not in gear. Being able to start in Neutral doesn't mean your NSS is bad.
Unread 01-21-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
TylerXJ96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well it doesn't start in gear so I'm gonna take out the NSS and clean it, it the one shaped like a 1/4 circle not the plug so if I don't have to replace it I dint want to is there anything else it could be
Unread 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerXJ96 View Post
Well it doesn't start in gear
It's not supposed to start in gear...only in Neutral OR Park.
Unread 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
TylerXJ96
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah that's what I thought got a little confused

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.