Bleeding Brakes AGAIN - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bleeding Brakes AGAIN

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Bleeding Brakes AGAIN

So been gone while, have not been able to mess with my Jeep, 2 family members died. But I'm back for now. I bought a new master cylinder, and put it on. Bench bled it, and it has sat in the jeep for 2 or 3 weeks waiting on me to bleed the brakes. It was thundering so i decided to go bleed brakes .
I cannot get fluid threw the lines via Gravity bleed. I got a partner and i could not believe the mount of air in the lines, after about 2 hours of air i just quit. Went back today;thundering again; tried to do the front. Only air on passenger side, so i quit and went to driver side, got tuns of air, but plenty fluid too. My buddy left so i took a large syringe and put it on the end of my rubber hose for bleeding and decided to force the fluid through. Started getting more and more air from driver side front. Decided to go back to passenger side front and try to force it that way too.
Here is my issue
After sucking for a while on passenger side it was all air i noticed my caliper is sucking in air from around the bleed screw, even when it is closed it pulls air.
So what do i do, somehow seal the screw or new caliper? If i need a caliper what is an unloaded, the only ones i find in parts stores around me are unloaded.

79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Unloaded calipers are just the caliper...no pads. Also, the calipers are side specific, so make sure the bleeder screw is on the top of the calipers if you replace them. A loaded caliper is just a new (re-man) caliper WITH pads. The good part about loaded calipers is...they come with pads, the bad part is, the pads are usually cheap-o's.

You're better off IMHO, buying UN-loaded calipers and some quality ceramic pads. Opinions vary.

As far as sucking air even when the bleeder is closed, it sounds like you have a bleeder screw that does not fit quite right. Did you swap out regular bleeders for speed bleeders? I'm thinking the bleeders may be metric in SAE holes? or vice versa? or the bleeders are too long/short and are not making a tight seal.

I've never used any thread sealer on calipers or drum cylinders..
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

No, the jeep is stock, i bought it after it sat for almost 7 years in a barn.
This is just one of the things i need to do to get it on the road a month ago. I have needed the jeep but i have been busy.
So far the ONLY thing i have changed mechanically on the jeep is the master cylinder
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
multmigs
2003 WJ 

if the brakes are the ones that have sat for 7 years you should definately be buying new/reman calipers. The seals on them will be crap if nothing else and you might get it all bleed and operational then use it for 2 months and find yourself unable to stop one day when a dry seal gives out under a panic braking. Plus they are super cheap and will have new bleeders, washers for the lines etc. Myself I'd replace as much as you can while ur at it and have it all apart, the rotors are probably giant hunks of rust by now and I'd buy new hoses also. If you are having a hard time getting the air out spend a couple minutes searching for how to make a brake pressure bleeder using a small garden sprayer or just buy a ready made version. Once you use one you will wonder why you ever tried the 2 person monkey show all these years.... http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...eder/index.htm
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I found how i use the syringe it works great, as long as you dont have an air leak.
I replaced all shoes, rotors, pads, and drums. The usual things for a face lift, so i guess i will just go get a pair of calipers.
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
multmigs
2003 WJ 

you can use a small dab of antiseize on the threads of the bleeders also, i found that reman calipers can have some non repairable corrosion on the holes for the bleeders some times and have clearly been tapped repeatedly also so sometimes the new bleeder screws are a bit loose in there
Unread 06-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Well i just ordered two calipers, and rear wheel cylinders(might as well do them too)
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs View Post
if the brakes are the ones that have sat for 7 years you should definately be buying new/reman calipers. The seals on them will be crap if nothing else and you might get it all bleed and operational then use it for 2 months and find yourself unable to stop one day when a dry seal gives out under a panic braking. Plus they are super cheap and will have new bleeders, washers for the lines etc. Myself I'd replace as much as you can while ur at it and have it all apart, the rotors are probably giant hunks of rust by now and I'd buy new hoses also. If you are having a hard time getting the air out spend a couple minutes searching for how to make a brake pressure bleeder using a small garden sprayer or just buy a ready made version. Once you use one you will wonder why you ever tried the 2 person monkey show all these years.... http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed...eder/index.htm
How do you make the pressure bleeder when the brake system on the XJ's do not have the kind of cap in that DIY, or in bleeder sets i have looked at.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
multmigs
2003 WJ 

I have a new XJ and WJ they both have that style screw on cap, I'm not sure what you have is it the big oval one? Did you try searching in the tech section for same? I'm sure someone has done it, perhaps also you could use the pressure bleeder in reverse starting at the bleeder itself by just attaching the hose from it and having someone watch that the master cyl doesn't get too full. I think that's what you mentioned you were doing with a syringe by hand right?
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, that is what i am already doing, pulling fluid from the bleeder with the syringe

Tags
bleeding , brakes , caliper , help please , master cylinder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.