Black 99' Build-stevieboy - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Black 99' Build-stevieboy

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitLong Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off Road

Unread 07-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #76
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy View Post

Leather wrap steering wheel...feels great (WheelSkins). I also covered the shift handle in the same perforated leather. I will also do the transfer case and e-brake levers.

How difficult was it to install that wheelskin?

1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
ar4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #77
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
your XJ is amazing. i love everything you have done with it. im just waiting for some wheeling pictures =)
Thanks connor. I'm really looking forward to getting it offroad. I've got the Rusty's Flex fender flares and Crown HD Ext. brakelines to get on next.
99' XJ ~4.0L6~NP231~6" Hybrid RC lift~MT Classic Lock~Detours Custom Light Bar Brushguard~Detours TailBone~Hooker Aero~aFe stage2~KC slimlines~JKS ACOS~JKS Disco.~JKS track bar~JCR T.C.Skid~JCR Stage 3 sliders~JK bumper fogs
stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:25 PM   #78
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks connor. I'm really looking forward to getting it offroad. I've got the Rusty's Flex fender flares and Crown HD Ext. brakelines to get on next.
sweet deal.. so did you jeep come with clear sidemarkers or did you buy them separately? cause i am thinking about getting a pair and was wondering how much they are, and if you have to get new bulbs
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #79
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=ar4130;7650947][QUOTE=stevieboy;7627547]

Leather wrap steering wheel...feels great (WheelSkins). I also covered the shift handle in the same perforated leather. I will also do the transfer case and e-brake levers.

Quote:

How difficult was it to install that wheelskin?
It's not hard at all, since they are made "wheel specific". The directions will tell you it takes an hour, and it does. The trick is to keep your stitches tight. You stitch it with a heavy waxed thread and needle. You have a few choices when you order on how you want it made...check their site.
99' XJ ~4.0L6~NP231~6" Hybrid RC lift~MT Classic Lock~Detours Custom Light Bar Brushguard~Detours TailBone~Hooker Aero~aFe stage2~KC slimlines~JKS ACOS~JKS Disco.~JKS track bar~JCR T.C.Skid~JCR Stage 3 sliders~JK bumper fogs
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #80
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor0770 View Post
sweet deal.. so did you jeep come with clear sidemarkers or did you buy them separately? cause i am thinking about getting a pair and was wondering how much they are, and if you have to get new bulbs
I added them. They were $39.95 from an ebay seller. GTracers was the store.
If you look back to page 4 of this build, I did a little write-up on a new Sylvania bulb that is designed for use with clear lens, they work great
Unread 07-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #81
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Greenmachine View Post
here ya go, I was lazy earlier...

http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/
99Greenmachine-
I just read Jon Kelley's site. I will be ordering a set. Thanks again!
Unread 07-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #82
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
99Greenmachine-
I just read Jon Kelley's site. I will be ordering a set. Thanks again!
No prob,

If I had the $$$ lying around, I'd order a set, but I'm going to try to ghetto fab my own out of 2ga. welder wire myself it won't be as pretty, but it'll do the job.

There is a sticky in the Tech section on making your own FWIW....

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #83
4wheeler4LIFE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hope to be making a trip to uwharrie late august, and after that i want to tackle rust and my paint before i go back to school... i hope i can get it to look half as good as yours!

4wheeler4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #84
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeler4LIFE View Post

I hope to be making a trip to uwharrie late august, and after that i want to tackle rust and my paint before i go back to school... i hope i can get it to look half as good as yours!

Rust on the XJ is a pain! I was surprised by the rust starting in the door sills, under and around the sill covers. I posted the pics of the new stainless steel screws in the door sill covers, some of those screws barely had a head left on them. The under body rust is expected, especially in Illinois (salt) on the roads in winter. Post a pic of yours, and visit detailedimage.com for paint restoration products
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #85
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeposaurus View Post
No problem, sorry if I was talking down...its hard to realize what prior experience people have.

I am currently running upgraded silverstars for headlights, 2 100W driving ligths, a 300watt amplifier and some other nick nacks. I am not really pushing the stock system all that hard right now so I have a stock alternator with a motomaster eliminator gel cell battery (apparently very similar specs to the optima red top....actually I believe their cell chemistry and construction is identical, same manufacturer or something along those lines).
I need burst power more then I need sustained power (I also have a 400W inverter) so I went with a high discharge battery. I dont see myself needing any more external lighting so I like my current setup.
If I were to run a setup similar to yours I would stick with a gel cell battery (I am totally impressed with mine, I purposely let my jeep sit in -35C overnight once with no block heater plugged in and it still started up just fine in the morning). I would upgrade my ground wire to a larger grade, probably go to the local welding supply shop and pick a few gauges heavier then stock. I would also buy a new ZJ alternator (I believe those are the 136 amp ones) and grind a stock cherokee alternator bracket to fit (I have seen a write up for this...sadly its a little more work for my renix era jeep...should work fine for you tho). With all that done you would have a much stronger charging system at about half the cost of one of them beastly 300amp alternators!
I am currently looking into superbrightleds website to change over all my interior lighting to LED. Should shave a few amps off what the stockers use. There is a write up on that in the tech stickies.
jeeposaurus-
Where did buy your motomaster gel battery? I noticed you are running a Manaflow exhaust, happy with it? I'm very much considering that soon. Thanks
Unread 07-28-2009, 08:33 PM   #86
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
jeeposaurus-
Where did buy your motomaster gel battery? I noticed you are running a Manaflow exhaust, happy with it? I'm very much considering that soon. Thanks
Stevieboy,
I bought the gel cell at Canadian tire which I assume you don't have in the US. Fear not you can get nearly the exact same battery which is better known as the optima red top...only you pay a few more pennies for it (I believe the motormaster version is 180ish and the redtop is 200ish....in Canadian funds anyways).

I am extremely happy with the magnaflow. I have tried 3 different mufflers on the jeep from cheapo flowmaster knock offs, to glasspacks and I find my magnaflow to sound the BEST! A deep slightly louder then stock rumble at idle and only a shade or 2 louder up to about 2000rpm....after that it opens up loud but not harsh like the flowmasters. The first time I throttled up it reminded me of a fire truck....but then again I am running without the catalytic converter (guy that welded my magnaflow in chopped it out as he said it was plugged up...).
1990 Black 2 Door, Homemade 3" lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT's on rock crawlers, recovery front and rear, bed lined interior, rockerless, armored rear quarters, magnaflow muffler, CB, DIY Immobilizer, AC to OBA, Silverstars and a nice rack.
Build Up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...ild-up-820250/
325,000km young.
jeeposaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #87
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeposaurus View Post
Stevieboy,
I bought the gel cell at Canadian tire which I assume you don't have in the US. Fear not you can get nearly the exact same battery which is better known as the optima red top...only you pay a few more pennies for it (I believe the motormaster version is 180ish and the redtop is 200ish....in Canadian funds anyways).

I am extremely happy with the magnaflow. I have tried 3 different mufflers on the jeep from cheapo flowmaster knock offs, to glasspacks and I find my magnaflow to sound the BEST! A deep slightly louder then stock rumble at idle and only a shade or 2 louder up to about 2000rpm....after that it opens up loud but not harsh like the flowmasters. The first time I throttled up it reminded me of a fire truck....but then again I am running without the catalytic converter (guy that welded my magnaflow in chopped it out as he said it was plugged up...).
jeeposaurus-

Thanks for the great info.. Sounds like an Optima is the way to go. You just sold me on the Magnaflow....talk with you soon
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #88
4wheeler4LIFE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well actually, my jeep's pretty much rust free (that i've found so far. haha) the rust i was reffering too is from paint chips that went through the primer and began to rust. bought some touchup paint and fine sandpaper today

lot of pics in my thread here: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801096

good pics start page 5
4wheeler4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #89
98junk
1998 XJ Cherokee 

5-90's cable set is great. Worth the $$ and I like supporting someone who helps out so many.
98junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #90
4X4XJJeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, I have a couple questions about your leather steering wheel cover. You go to Wheelskin.com and order a specific wheel cover for the make model of your specific vehicle? What color is yours? Is it the Leather, or euro? Yours seems to be perforated and I don't see that option on the website, Enlighten me! Thanks. Your jeep looks amazing. Keep up the good work!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.