Black 99' Build-stevieboy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Black 99' Build-stevieboy

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update 8/1-Flares Black 99' Build-stevieboy

Hey guys, I already posted some pics of my XJ after the lift, but thought it might be helpful to start a build thread on it. Seeing what others are doing to there XJ's has been so helpful. Enough talk, here's the build so far:

Stock-paint restoration

4" lift (3" RC Series II/full springs, day later added 3/4" spacer/adj. shackles-thank you to Jason @RC) Used lots PB blaster, no broken bolts. Did a TC drop, no vibes...feeling lucky there.

265/70R15 tires-MT Classic Locks 15x8

JKS Disco.

They store nicely onto the factory skid plate.

Detours Lite Bar

Switches(one for front bumper, one for roof rack lights-future)

Replaced rusted screws...trying to eliminate rust in general.

Installed front bumper fogs(JK). I was inspired after seeing this done on pyrotyro's rig. I sourced these through Quadratec, they are a direct JK replacement. Drilling the 3 1/4" hole was the hardest part.

Light switch for bumper fogs.

Front Diff. Guard (4 X Doctor)

New Stereo install.

Pacer Flexi-flares. Needed a little more coverage. They don't look bad, but I already ordered some Rusty's flares, looking to visually open -up the wheel well.

Leather wrap steering wheel...feels great (WheelSkins). I also covered the shift handle in the same perforated leather. I will also do the transfer case and e-brake levers.

Custom color center dash trim...helps break up all the grey.

Future mods:
-New exhaust (help me pick one). I want to change out the header down pipe, and get rid of the restriction.
-Rear Disc. conversion (Teraflex)?
-Rock rails/sliders
-Throttle body/intake?
-Locking diffs...saw some ARB demos last night, real impressed.
-Surco roof rack
-More lights!!!
-Roof mounted spare.

Last edited by stevieboy; 08-02-2009 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: new info.
stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Greenz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Sharp
Greenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

everything is done in good taste
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
brandontrek
1999 XJ Cherokee 

please explain the paint restoration...BTW you did a GREAT job on your XJ...very nice additions
brandontrek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
Khary23
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice

I wish my XJ was black
Khary23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontrek View Post
please explain the paint restoration.
This jeep probably had never been waxed, and a typical wash was a rinse off with the garden hose while dragging a rag across the surface...ouch! I started with a good wash, then clay bar treatment, amazing what that picks up off the "clean" paint. Next, P21S paint work cleanser, this was done to help remove small scratches. Followed by Poorboy's EX-P sealant. Finished off with a coat of good Carnuba wax, I used Poorboy's Natty World Blue. You won't believe the results A great site to check out is detailedimage.com. Good explanations and products. Hope this helps.
99' XJ ~4.0L6~NP231~6" Hybrid RC lift~MT Classic Lock~Detours Custom Light Bar Brushguard~Detours TailBone~Hooker Aero~aFe stage2~KC slimlines~JKS ACOS~JKS Disco.~JKS track bar~JCR T.C.Skid~JCR Stage 3 sliders~JK bumper fogs
Unread 07-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Absolutely outstanding XJ! Your restoration is going to be a great inspiration for mine! I like your quick disco connect to skid plate, I am defiantly going to have to copy that idea...also quite like the look of the flush mounted bumper lights. I have my driving lights mounted similar to yours (on the bar) but after seeing how clean your lines are it makes me what to tighten up my design even more!
1990 Black 2 Door, Homemade 3" lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT's on rock crawlers, recovery front and rear, bed lined interior, rockerless, armored rear quarters, magnaflow muffler, CB, DIY Immobilizer, AC to OBA, Silverstars and a nice rack.
Build Up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...ild-up-820250/
325,000km young.
jeeposaurus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
bhicks
2002 WJ 

Did you pop the center dash piece off and paint it or did you actually buy a new center piece. If so, where did you get the new colored piece? I really like the look.
bhicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeposaurus View Post
Absolutely outstanding XJ! Your restoration is going to be a great inspiration for mine! I like your quick disco connect to skid plate, I am defiantly going to have to copy that idea...also quite like the look of the flush mounted bumper lights. I have my driving lights mounted similar to yours (on the bar) but after seeing how clean your lines are it makes me what to tighten up my design even more!
Thanks for the compliments. JKS sends the disconnect mount with their kit, so it is really easy to do if the factory skid is there. Like I said, I got inspiration from pyrotyro for the JK bumper fogs...love how it looks. By the way, they throw a very clean light, flat and wide, really nice.
99' XJ ~4.0L6~NP231~6" Hybrid RC lift~MT Classic Lock~Detours Custom Light Bar Brushguard~Detours TailBone~Hooker Aero~aFe stage2~KC slimlines~JKS ACOS~JKS Disco.~JKS track bar~JCR T.C.Skid~JCR Stage 3 sliders~JK bumper fogs
Unread 07-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhicks View Post
Did you pop the center dash piece off and paint it or did you actually buy a new center piece. If so, where did you get the new colored piece? I really like the look.
I popped it off. I had it out when I did the stereo. I used a Duracolor auto paint (Pepboys). It took a few tries to get the color right. What worked for me was a charcoal grey over bright silver. It really helps brighten up an otherwise drab interior.
Unread 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #11
Miami_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nice changes from "the standard"..very classy!
Miami_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_XJ View Post
Nice changes from "the standard"..very classy!
Thanks . I plan on wheeling it, but it is more of a DD, second vehicle for me.
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
stevieboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

JK bumper fog lights, I have been using them as daytime running lights.
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

ever consider taking off the side trim? i think it would add to the clean look of the build
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That is one of the cleanest looking XJs of all time...

I love those wheels man...makes me want a black XJ

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.