Black 2-Door Build Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Black 2-Door Build Up

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Black 2-Door Build Up

My Cherokee:

It has been in the family since 30k and now has nearly 330k on the clock with that last 100k or so with me in the drivers seat. I have decided that a major build up and build up thread is required.
I have been looking for a few months to find a jeep to build up but unfortunatly most of the XJ's out there are either abused or not in nearly as nice shape as mine is....and they all want a small fortune for them! This is what made me decided to invest a few thousand into my current beast and make it what I want, a daily driver with great off road potential.

Planned upgrades:
-Complete exterior re-finishing
-Installation of 2x6 beam rocker guards
-Rebuild of another 90 renix engine to drop in come next summer (This will either be rebuild to OEM by me over the winter, rebuilt by a shop, or possibly if I can source enough local parts and keep the cost below 3g, stroked out to a 4.7L.

These are the major points I hope to hit before next summer, I also have plans to switch my axel from a 35 over to a 8.25 (or 44 depending on how the next few weeks work for me ). I would also like to regear to either 410 or 456 but that will come after the rebuilt engine.

Current upgrades (feel free to ask if the pictures leave things unclear...never touch the little red button):

Yes...there is 2 sources of air, I like redundant systems lol. The CB wire and rear electric pump wire are currently laying like that as I have some trim bits removed to paint the exterior but once reassembled the wires should be out of sight...I'm a little OCD with my jeep and wires laying in plain sight gets to me . The little red button is for my homemade immobilizer and the large red safety switch is for the engine mounted OBA. I am an electronic engineering tech by trade so gadgets and gizmos are right up my alley.

1990 Black 2 Door, Homemade 3" lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT's on rock crawlers, recovery front and rear, bed lined interior, rockerless, armored rear quarters, magnaflow muffler, CB, DIY Immobilizer, AC to OBA, Silverstars and a nice rack.
Build Up:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/b...ild-up-820250/
325,000km young.
jeeposaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Rockers

YAY! Fresh metal to play with!

My current rockers are non-existent as I had to remove them last summer due to extensive rust and me not wanting it to get any worse. 99% of people that have seen my jeep don't even notice that the rockers were missing but I know they are gone, and the metal edge just doesn't flow nice so something had to be done.

It just so happens that with my cuts 2x6 box beam fits in there PERFECTLY! I was going to use 3/16 but I figured 1/8 should be more the strong enough and was a fraction of the weight and cost of 3/16. I do not really wheel around rocks as most of our local landscape is more dirt then anything so I believe that the 1/8 should be just fine, infact I think I could almost have got away with lighter gauge yet, but I like knowing that I can jack the jeep from the rocker and not worry about it so 1/8 it is.

I think I have found a clever way of bolting the rockers in with minimal welding (somewhat similar to a rock slider setup) but still I have been practicing welding all weekend in the hopes that after a few hundred more burnt rods (miller 220v stick welder) I might be proficient enough to weld some ends on my rockers...anything that is going to bear a lot of weight I will let stand for a while...until my welding progresses a little more.

Metal snakes:

1990 Black 2 Door, Homemade 3" lift, 31x10.5 BFG AT's on rock crawlers, recovery front and rear, bed lined interior, rockerless, armored rear quarters, magnaflow muffler, CB, DIY Immobilizer, AC to OBA, Silverstars and a nice rack.
Build Up:
325,000km young.
Unread 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet lookin XJ!!!

Wish I had a 5spd

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man, been watching your build as well and its coming along nice...very clean jeep. I love my 5 speed but with the 307's 31" is about as big as I am going...for now.
Build Up:
325,000km young.
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Why don't you just find some JY axles to throw under it with 3.55 or even 4.10?

That way youd be getting a stronger rear axle and a non-vacuum front D30.

AND you'd get better power

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I was thinking about doing that as I have a line on an 8.25 with 3.55's but I am still out looking at jeeps for parts and hope to find my parts jeep with either an 8.25 or if I am lucky (and the years I am looking at help) find a jeep with a 44.
JY jeeps with 410's are VERY rare here, I have found one comanche with the 4cyl and what I assume was a 410 rear diff....but it was already yanked and she was only a 2wd.

Budget wise I think I will notice better performance with a OEM rebuild and gearing as opposed to a stroker build and no re-gear.

Right now my goal for the end of summer is a completed exterior and have my spare engine on the mount ready for a rebuild. Hopefully next weekend I can get my rockers boxed up and possibly mounted, then comes installation of my bushwackers, and then last will come painting (a combination of satin black and bedlinner over majority of the jeep...it might not look it from the picture but the clearcoat is in bad shape and need to be fixed).
Build Up:
325,000km young.
Unread 07-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep looks great! Good luck with the rockers, I think I'm going to do mine but I decided to use 1/4" steel 3" x 4" tubing, as a buddy just did his, and already went though the trial and error for me.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Greenz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Good looking 2dr. I will be looking forward to your build up.

My 2 cents on your welds, more current(heat), wider arcs or circles which ever you perfer, and slow down a tad. You will get better penetration and stronger welds. Your weld should look more like ))))))))) instead of >>>>>>>.
Greenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenz View Post
Good looking 2dr. I will be looking forward to your build up.

My 2 cents on your welds, more current(heat), wider arcs or circles which ever you perfer, and slow down a tad. You will get better penetration and stronger welds. Your weld should look more like ))))))))) instead of >>>>>>>.

Thank you for your comments on my welds. I am looking for all the help I can get. I'll buzz thru a few dozen more rods this weekend and try upping the heat a little and go a little slower. Thankfully I have about 100lbs of scrap metal to play with so I should eventually get better.
Build Up:
325,000km young.
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Parts Jeep Pickup

Tonight I go to pick up my 1989 parts jeep to build up my engine for my black 1990. The 89 is a limited model with nearly mint condition interior (...and that includes power adjustable leather seats with power windows and locks). As an added bonus its the black/grey leather with matching trim so it will be a direct swap in for my jeep.....a 2 door as well.

Sadly the rear end is not the 44 I was hoping for but just a D35 with what I assume are 355 gears. It has the towing package as well so atleast I will get a decent hitch out of her as well.

The engine with 270 000km on the clock still seems to have power, doesn't burn or leak oil and other then a rusted out downpipe the engine seems quite happy....not that any of that really matters as I am doing a full rebuild...and I also might have a local source on AMC 258 engine parts....

Pics to come later, if all goes as planned it will be trailered to my house later on tonight.
Build Up:
325,000km young.
Unread 07-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
willcherokeexj
2014 JK Wrangler 

Get a tranny cooler, pretty easy to install

2014 JK - Willy's Wheeler Edition
willcherokeexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
jeeposaurus
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcherokeexj View Post
Get a tranny cooler, pretty easy to install
Engine is going into my jeep...which has a 5-speed. Ohh, and my jeep isnt trailering it, the sellers truck will handle that part, I'm just leading the way.
Build Up:
325,000km young.
Unread 07-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
D-BOI
2001 XJ Cherokee 

nice xj buddy
D-BOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #14
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice looking 2 door, like the black. What size tires?
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
JobForaCowboy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sick jeep man. I have a two door standard as well. Tons of funnnn.
JobForaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.