Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

biggest tires?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  njoyjeepin 
#1 ·
anyone know what are the biggest tires i can fit on my 84 xj? has stock wheels and no lift. shredded a front tire today and would like to replace them all with a bigger better tire but dont have any idea how big i can go. has 225/75/15's on it now. thanks for the info.

#4 ·
I have 31's on a stock '88. I took off the fenders, cut the front up to the outline it left. Reinstalled the front up to about where that crease is. The rear I cut and folded, riveted, bondoed, and painted. Worked out great, looks fine. The 31/10.5/15's rub the control arms at full steering wheel lock, other than that I drive around town in 3 and only use D when about 45-50mph.
Lower control arms from certain (or all) ZJ's are bent inward and will fix that rubbing issue. Obviously gearing to 4.10 front and rear would fix the ratio issue.

Going on about 5,000 miles with it that way with no issues related to the tires.

#6 ·
great info guys. thanks. dont really want to do any trimming yet (will wait until i add a lift kit, eventually). think i will go with the 30/9.5's. any suggestions as to which kind? dont want to go to crazy with the price as i said will be lifting it and adding bigger tires then. i dont do any real crazy wheeling, mostly light trails and some mud. more of my camping rig than anything else right now. i do get into the occasional gnarly trail getting to some of my favorite backwoods camp sites and need something that cleans out well and has some good bite. much appreciation for the help guys

#7 ·
You may encounter some rubbing with the 30x9.50's depending on the condition of your springs, and they may rub the lower control arms at full lock. You can fix the rubbing at full lock by adding a washer or two behind the steering stops.

#11 ·
Here's 30x9.50-15 BFGs, stock steel wheels, front and rear antisway bars still connected, with the rear tire off the ground:

It's sitting about 1.5" lower then stock(sagged springs) It won't rub if I'm crawling, but if I bounce it down off a rock it can pop the front flares off.

#12 ·
30/9.5's it is! thanks for the visual aid tbburg that always helps. no, guys, flexing isn't really a concern for me at this point. will be adding a 6.5" long arm lift and 33 mtz's (maybe 35's) in the future and flexing will be my concern then. any advice on a good m/t tire that wont break the bank and has good on-road manners? hey all i appreciate the help

#13 ·
I have Aurora RT02 MTs. Been very impressed with them for the price. Nearly identical performance to my old BFG MTs and cost nearly 50% less.

#15 ·
me too!!! soon as i get the call back to work it will be go time on the project. im a sheetmetal journeyman by trade and run a plasma table at my shop. i will be fabbing up as much stuff as possible. bumpers, rollcage, skid plates, braces, tube doors, and whatever else comes up. hope to post a build thread when the project starts. will be asking a ton of questions to the forum when i start. thanks all

#16 ·
I'm running the Yokohama Geolander 35s with my long arm setup and only had to trim a bit. And add bumpstops. They are great tires for pushing the Jeep in and out of the garage to constantly fix my leaking, brand new brake lines...im too scared to drive it in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.