Biggest tire i can put on a stock 2000 cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Biggest tire i can put on a stock 2000 cherokee

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
putemontheglass
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Biggest tire i can put on a stock 2000 cherokee

I'm new at this. Just bought a 2000 cherokee in december and i LOVE it. I need to buy new tires for it though and as much as i'd love to lift it asap i can't afford it. I've tried researching as much as i can and i can't seem to either understand or find the right info.

i have these rims...
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...s/sawblade.jpg

and a bone stock suspension.

what is the biggest tire i can buy for my jeep to give it a nice look but not have it rub and mess up anything.

any help is very appreciated. love everyones rides too!

putemontheglass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
putemontheglass
2000 XJ Cherokee 

anything ???
putemontheglass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

235 x 75 x 15 on those stock 15" rims. Go with an AT tire for the best all around performance. BFG AT's are always popular and last forever. At that size you will not get much rubbing if any... and if you do it will be at full sterring lock and only on your lower control arms (LCA's). I ran 235 x 70 x 16's on my Cherokee and didn't rub.

If you are planning on lifting it, go with a good used set off of Craigs List or say any used forum locally. Pop them on, run it like that (same size) and then when you lift it go for a set of 31" or 32" depending on use/lift etc.

Hope that helps... and welcome to Jeeps man!!

They looked tight on stock height Cherokee

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Not to be Mr. Negative or anything but you should really use the "Search" feature. This question has been asked at least a thousand times. But maybe you didn't know this already, seeing as how you said you're new.

But on a stock suspension, I've seen people cram as high as 33s with the proper fender trimming and bumpstopping. To be on the safer (and more economical) side, go with 235/75/15s, or 30x9.5/15r. I ran 30x9.5s without a lift and I had very little trimming to do. The good thing about 30x9.5s is that with a 3" lift they still look good and flex great!
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good call on the search man... thought about hitting him with that but it was his first post. lol

30.9 would look good, 235 is around a 29.5 ish, and I could see the 30.9 working given a wee bit of massaging.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i have 235 75 15s and on the road they are great...rubs the lower control arms very little at full steering lock..when the sway bar is disconnected they rub the inner wheels wells slightly.
jackdup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
98GooseXJ14
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have 235 75 15s on a set of rims for mine and they never rubbed at all..
I posted a thread like this a few months ago when I got mine and you can get 31s in there but its REALLY tight.
98GooseXJ14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Search or the FAQ section....
here ye go
What is the biggest size of tires that I can put on my jeep without a lift?
A lot will depend on how your current springs are (sagged etc?) and how you will use it.
Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftlanetruckin View Post
Search or the FAQ section....
here ye go
What is the biggest size of tires that I can put on my jeep without a lift?
A lot will depend on how your current springs are (sagged etc?) and how you will use it.
Martin
x2 on this. 235/75R15 or 30x9.5 are probably your best bet.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

i rubbed slightly with my 235/75/15 Goodyear duratracs, acutal diameter was just at about 30" i dont think you could go any bigger.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
FletchXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was all excited when I got my 2000 and the lift had just arrived and was going on that weekend so I took mine to the local tire place to have them try to squeeze on the 31" 10.5's and they tried it and called me right back and said "Put on the lift first and then bring it back." They showed me it with one on and it was bad, I wouldn't have been able to drive it home.
FletchXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I've got an old set of cooper weather master st's on mine and they're 235's. I think stock most XJ's will come with 225's but 235 is an easy fit. I can only feel a tiny bit of rubbing at full lock and my tread is semi-aggressive. Also honestly, full lock isnt something you do that often anyways if you drive like me ahah

Also, I must say, I agree with everybody else, 235's DO fill out the wheel wells real nicely, I love the look. Heres some pics of mine while it still has 235's on it. I'll be lifting soon and those tires will be gone but I sure as heck won't forget how well they do in the snow Or maybe that was just the Jeep haha....

as you can see it really fits in there nicely

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

doing this with a bone stock cherokee on 235s will rub slightly in the front wheel wells...anything bigger would rub pretty bad and maybe cause some damage

jackdup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Stupid question, but....when going with 235's over 225's, is it at all necessary to change the speedometer gearing?
Jeff9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

when i went from 225 to 235 my spedo became more accurate.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.