Big question: replace engine or replace Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Big question: replace engine or replace Jeep?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-18-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
SoloHiker

Big question: replace engine or replace Jeep?

Yeah, my baby seems to be getting a bit old (putting lots of $$$ into it to keep it running), and I have a sinking feeling that it won't take another long jaunt into the wilderness. At 190k+ miles, it's starting to sputter when in gear and out, recently replaced IAC and other stuff, and still does the same thing.

So there question here is this: should I be looking at replacing the engine (cost, labor, etc.. I'm NOT a mechanic), or replacing the Jeep. All in all she's holding up well, but I think her age is getting to her.

Unread 03-18-2007, 12:22 AM   #2
Wolfman01

If you aren't willing or able to do the labor yourself, then having the engine swapped out will be very expensive. As it is, rebuilding them is bad enough.

I'll be out ~$650 for the machine work, cleanup, magniflux, and rebuild kit. The disassembly and reassembly are all mine. This was of course, after paying $250 for what is hoped to be a rebuildable block. This is for the 2.5L 4 banger in the 85 Chief.

In your case, figure a long block ~$2k?, labor for 8 hours @ ~$120/hr, plus replacing any other "while it's all apart" stuff. (figure another $300-$400 to be safe.)

Before I'd sink that kind of money into a replacement engine, I'd make very sure that it was acutally in need of being replaced. If compression is within specs, you won't be fixing anything when the old sensors, manifolds, etc. are put back on the new engine.
1998 Jeep Cherokee SE (154k)
2006 Chevy Aveo LS (28k)
Wolfman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 01:59 AM   #3
XJ_Silver_1988
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i had the motor rebuilt in my old jeep for 2400...that inlcuded the engine place taking out the engine rebuilding it and putting it back in...that was before i had the experience i do now
10" Long Arm Lift
Modified ARB Bull Bar, MM PE8000 Winch
16/35-15 Boggers Rr/TSL Fr
XJ_Silver_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 06:49 AM   #4
AznDrgn

Figure out why it is sputtering first, it could be as simple as dirty fuel injectors. Have you done a compression test or a leak down test? 190K on one of these motors really isn't bad, they hold up a lot longer than that with proper maintenance.
'83 Porsche 944 2.5L - Sold
'78 Porsche 924NA 2.0L - RIP
AznDrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:13 AM   #5
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDrgn
Figure out why it is sputtering first, it could be as simple as dirty fuel injectors. Have you done a compression test or a leak down test? 190K on one of these motors really isn't bad, they hold up a lot longer than that with proper maintenance.
I totally 190k may just be time for some major maintenance but some simple test will tell you that. The tranny would be a concern as well I,m guessing it is auto because you said it sputters when you put it in gear. So a fresh engine may push it over the ledge. If I where you I would look at the rest of the jeep for my answer if she needs a engine how is the body beat up rusted bad= Replace find a good XJ and swap your mods into it. Good body and interior= might be better off rebuilding or getting a rebuilt engine like a stroker (with a good warranty) for more kick. Another choice would be a lower mileage motor and tranny from a junk yard would save you some bucks. Good luck either way.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$

Last edited by kg4kzv; 03-18-2007 at 09:18 AM..
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
severous01

well, for 2500 you could do a SBC swap and never have to worry about it. figure 250 for a sbc, another 250 for fixing her up a little, 200 for the bellhousing adapter, custom guages, custom radiator, and if you get fuel injected, you'll just need all the wiring harness and ECM from the donor...which could very well be included inthe price of the engine if you know how to bargain. also, you'll need motor mounts...another 200 from advance adapters. a friend or two that know what they're doing with tools and an evening of beer drinking should be enough to coax anyone to help you...i know i would if given the chance.

any way, i'm looking into doind a chevy 5.3 swap. it's a little more expensive since i'm using a LSx based engine and i'm also using the 4l60 tranny which means another 500 for the np231 adapter for the 4l60. also i'll need new linkage for the thing so that's another 250. but i'd rather have an lsx engine than any sbc and am willing to spend the extra thousand or so to do it.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Personally I have never seen a valid reason for a V-8 swap to replace a 4.0H.O. (not knocking you severous01) it makes plenty of power even on a lifted XJ for good street manners once the gears are changed. For off road the money would be better spent on a T-case either geared for the terrain you wheel in or a multi speed unit for varying types of wheeling. In non competition off road and even sometimes then the engine size has little to do with getting passed a obstacle its all about how you put the power you have to the ground and how well you and or your spotter are at plotting the right line. I would think a low mileage engine and tranny from the junk yard could be installed for around 1500-2000 bucks. Yes if all went well a v-8 for 2500 but if things start to go wrong you could blow through twice that to get it right then you will spend more beefing up stuff to hold the V-8. I also believe the 4.0 Jeep to be a longer lasting engine than most chevys. But that is my

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #8
severous01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4kzv
Personally I have never seen a valid reason for a V-8 swap to replace a 4.0H.O. (not knocking you severous01) it makes plenty of power even on a lifted XJ for good street manners once the gears are changed. For off road the money would be better spent on a T-case either geared for the terrain you wheel in or a multi speed unit for varying types of wheeling. In non competition off road and even sometimes then the engine size has little to do with getting passed a obstacle its all about how you put the power you have to the ground and how well you and or your spotter are at plotting the right line. I would think a low mileage engine and tranny from the junk yard could be installed for around 1500-2000 bucks. Yes if all went well a v-8 for 2500 but if things start to go wrong you could blow through twice that to get it right then you will spend more beefing up stuff to hold the V-8. I also believe the 4.0 Jeep to be a longer lasting engine than most chevys. But that is my

Chris
true. the v-8 will destroy all stuff that is going bad. and if you dont upgrade rear/u-joints, they will be takin out soon after the install. forgot to mention...

golen also has a few engines available. some budget rebuilds and some budget strokers too. fairly cheap...remember, they are hand built and come with a warranty.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
SoloHiker

Thanks for the input, guys! All in all it's held up well for being 14 years old, but I've been putting a lot of money into repair and parts since '03 (enough to buy a new one, actually). Body is in near-perfect shape (a couple minor scratches and such, no major body damage). Last time I had it in the shop I was told compression was fine, but that was my local stealership: I don't exactly trust 'em, but don't have anyone else to take it to. They also told me that the transmission in these '93s is rock solid, but I don't know enough to know if this sputtering issue is tranny related or not (when it sputters, it does so either in-gear at a stop, and even in neutral).

Dunno if I should risk taking it to a transmission shop to have the tranny checked, or what... Really lost here: all the basic stuff I can check (not being a mechanic or having the right tools) I have checked: plugs and plug wires OK, distributor looks good, no leaks (last couple leaks fixed at the shop), etc. I can do a SeaFoam shot on it, but I'm not sure that'll do anything really: I've only had a couple at-highway-speed hiccups, but for the most part no issues when under power on the road.

Any suggestions welcome...
Unread 03-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
Wolfman01

Check vacuum lines, grounds, cables, etc first. This is not indicitive of a transmission issue either. IMO, this sounds like a minor electrical, or vacuum issue, as when idling under load is when you seem to have the issues. I think you will be chasing a very cheap, simple, yet hard to diagnose problem.
1998 Jeep Cherokee SE (154k)
2006 Chevy Aveo LS (28k)
Wolfman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
lbsnowryder
One notch above Redneck!!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a possible fuel issue. Have the fuel pump checked. That seems to be coming up alot lately. 190 is alot of miles but if you've taken good care of it everything should still run strong.

I own a Jeep, it's red and has big tires

Radical Pictures
lbsnowryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.