BIG MISTAKE, 1996 Cherokee sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > BIG MISTAKE, 1996 Cherokee sport

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
jefe0792

BIG MISTAKE, 1996 Cherokee sport

So I was replacing the spark plugs of my cherokee sport I just got because they were having problems misfiring, and I accidently hooked a spark plug wire to the coil, and the distributor wire to a spark plug. When I started the car in the wrong firing order I know that must have shorted the system, and the car had a really bad start, then all the lights and electronics shut off and I found I blew a fuse from instrument panel. I fixed the distributor once I realized my mistake, replaced the fuse and tried again. Hooray it started well the first time, but then after I shut it off I tried a second time, and everything went dead again, lights and everything with no crank but an audible click as the lights went off. The lights returned after a short period of time but now I can no longer start it and the problem repeats itself. I think its very possible I triggered some relay or something electrical that has to be the cause.
Any ideas of what I really did to the electrical components or what I need to look at to see what the problem is?

jefe0792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
youarestuck

Mine does the same thing when the battery is dead
youarestuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
rosco219
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a nightmere.....sorry for your loss
rosco219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My MJ does that when the battery is dead or not getting a good connection. Try to charge it, if it work charge, there's your problem.

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

x3 on the battery/charging system...a temporary coil secondary misconnection shouldn't cause the no start issues you are experiencing.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
wpb98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check your battery cables, a loose or dirty battery connection, postive or negative will cause same symptoms you descibed.
wpb98xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , electrical issue , relays , spark plugs

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.